StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of going the smart phone route and using offline maps via Locus. Is there a plug and play power cord for a smart phone that will hook directly into the accessory plug on a 2013 Vstrom?

Thanks,
Al

P.S. I know these questions get asked a lot and I have done some searching but asking folks who KNOW is reassuring.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir. I plan to use the accessory outlet. I'm wondering if there is a USB power cord for a smartphone that'll just plug right into the accessory plug.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I connected a SAE connector to the aux power connector on the right side and ran it into my tank bag. I attached a Battery Tender USB adapter to the SAE connector. It has a 2.1 amp output which works great for charging both my iPhone 6 and iPad. I'll try to post pics.

Edit: It's this:

Connected to this:

I had a spare Battery Tender pigtail that is normally used to connect the BT battery charger directly to the battery. I cut off the terminal rings and put on the connectors that I got from EB to plug directly into the aux power connector on the right side of the fairing. I also put in a 3 amp fuse.

·
38,047 Posts
That connector is what Suzuki uses for accessory power port. The connector is a 2 Pole .090 WP MT Connector 'Special B'. I don't know of any direct to phone cable. Eastern Beaver makes a connector to fit.

See VStrom

It alone doesn't meet the $20 minimum order though. It's always a good ides to add headlight relays and they will make the minimum. Otherwise, do a search on the connector for a lower price. you will still need to get a female USB connector including a 12VDC to 5VDC regulator to wire in. Probably the easiest way is to get a USB power cable with regulator and wire it into the MT connector. Bear in mind it is a polarized connection.

Those terrified of wiring can get the Suzuki power outlet at 12V Power Outlet:|| Suzuki Motor of America, Inc and plug a USB port like this into it. It has a regulator built in. Even then, things may like to vibrate out. You may be able to entice Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver to make an MT to USB female cord with regulator.

·
38,047 Posts
Notice the box in the wire. That's a 12VDC-5VDC voltage regulator. I forget about that in my previous description so just added it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
So far been happy with the price and use of the this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/order-details?ie=UTF8&orderID=111-9321762-4363440&ref_=pe_385040_128020140_TE_SIMP_on

Not sure of durability but does the job and gives me options to charge more than one thing at a time.

This being the prime one.

HOME • Antigravity BatteriesAntigravity Batteries | Lithium Ion Motorcycle Batteries

Should be in EVERY touring riders kit. On our 3 week west coast trip we had it in use ALL the time - the only thing we did not do is start the bike with it.

The other good thing for the iPhone is this

mophie Battery Phone Cases & More - Free Shipping | mophie

Gives an X-grip a bit more purchase and doubles or triples battery life.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
One thing to consider when adding a USB charger is the amp output. I wanted to be able to charge both my iPad and iPhone 6. The iPad uses a 2.1 amp charger while the iPhone 6 comes with a 1 amp charger. But apparently the iPhone 6 is capable of safely accepting 2.1 amps which will charge it quicker. So a USB charger with a 2.1 amp output works best for my needs. Some of the USB chargers mentioned above only have a 1.2 amp output which means it will take longer to charge devices that can handle more (like an iPad). You can also find dual port USB chargers that have both 2.1 and 1 amp ports.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
This is what I use to power my GPS; a DROK 12V to 5V buck converter, wired into my PC8 fusebox. Mine terminates in a mini-USB connector because that's what my GPS uses, but they also make one that terminates in a micro USB for devices like smart phones. Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converter-Step-down-Transformer-Waterproof/dp/B00KKI4C1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439766151&sr=8-1&keywords=DROK+buck+converter+micro+usb

The converters are waterproof, and really small; the one above is 47mm x 32mm x18mm, and could be tucked away out of sight in a lot of places in the fairing of the V-Strom. It's recommended for phones.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of going the smart phone route and using offline maps via Locus. Is there a plug and play power cord for a smart phone that will hook directly into the accessory plug on a 2013 Vstrom?

Thanks,
Al

P.S. I know these questions get asked a lot and I have done some searching but asking folks who KNOW is reassuring.
I would suggest that you do not run it to the AUX connector, but instead run directly to the battery. It's very handy to be able to let it charge while you are in a restaurant, campsite, etc. I find using the smart phones that if the screen is on full (it will need to be), bluetooth is on, gps is on that it drains the battery slightly faster then it charges it. On a long day, say 12 hours of riding my battery will eventually run out even with it charging all day (Galaxy S3 and Note 4 both do this).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts