13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Doh! I ordered the three pin. So you're 100% sure the one above is the correct one for our bikes? You've installed it?
Three pin is correct one. You can install 2 pin but you'll see dash indication never going off while using indicators. It just bliks high/low, not on/off. Especialy noticable at night. I have 2 pin now for my LED indicators and have already purchased 3 pin. Just waiting for some time to install it as on '18 model you have to remove half of the bike to get there. On '14 model, the relay was just bellow the seat. I plan to extend the cable and bring the relay where it was on '14 model.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Cyclops worked on mine for only two months and then one side of the bulb blew up. Zdatt works for 4 years now and never blew up.
They lasted 3 years in my V Strom, time will tell on the X. I'm not sure how it will do in the closed-off bucket. LED bulbs are hit or miss, they either work or they don't. I'm only running it in the high beam, since it's not on all the time it should last, if not back to Phillips Halogen.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Doh! I ordered the three pin. So you're 100% sure the one above is the correct one for our bikes? You've installed it?

When it came it didn't fit as there are only two pins. When I posted the Amazon link I had forgotten about that. Maybe your later mode DL1000 has a three pin but I doubt it.

Yes. I actually bought the 3 pin based on misreading a post somewhere here on Stromtrooper (it also related to the third pin having a ground and stopped the 10% turn signal indicator) so for all I know you might be able to cut off the third pin or wire it to ground somehow but it was easier to just order the two pin.

Sorry about the mistake!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Sounds like there may be a difference between the '15 and '17/18 models. Bosnjo says three pin, Tom says two pin... I'll just order both, dig in and see what happens :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Tom, left side had LED and right side had OEM, with hazards on. Big difference... eh?

Regarding the flasher relay. I tested it again tonight and the rapid flash is now there. Strange that it took a few ignition cycles to manifest. So it appears I do need to install the flasher relay.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Status update:

Bosnjo wasn't kidding. That flasher relay is in a ridiculous spot. Found it after following his directions. However, it's a **2-PIN** relay on my '18 DL1000XT.

I wonder what would be different from a '17 in Europe vs a '14 and '18 in NA.

This relay is also the type that requires the hanging clip. It hangs from a rubber mount and a white connector, with the 2-pin connectors, is plugged in.

OEM relay left, Amazon 3-pin left.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sounds like there may be a difference between the '15 and '17/18 models. Bosnjo says three pin, Tom says two pin... I'll just order both, dig in and see what happens :grin2:
It was 3pin on my previous '14 model and 3pin on my new '18 model. Both DL1000. By the way, one has to make sure that is looking at indicators relay as it is now well hidden on '18 model. You have to take a lot of bike apart to get to it. Just make sure you are not looking at wrong relay.
But, there may be some difference between US and EU bikes.
It will work with 2pin on LED's, no problem, The only difference is indication on the dash, as I mentioned before.
I have a bunch of relays for LED indicators now, 2pin and 3pin and the all have potentionmeter to adjust the speed as you wish. And they work with both Standard and LED indicators.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Status update, I installed this relay and it worked perfectly:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FM9DZZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put it all back together and everything is working as expected.

Bosnjo, the cable that connects to the flasher relay only has two wires on my '18 DL1000. I thought the vstroms were world bikes, so I'm surprised that there were differences for something as simple as a flasher relay.

I also checked the dash indicators, and they do not shut full off in between flashes as mentioned by Tom. It's a 100% on and 10-15% on flash on the dash indicators. Fine with me!

Now, I am concerned that my indicators are so bright that it will blind drivers :grin2:

I was also concerned that I may now be drowning out my brake light. But I tested it and the LED brake light on this bike is VERY bright. No worries there.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I hate it with these LED lights, they rarely ever show in the pictures if they are dual sided or single sided.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Cyclops worked on mine for only two months and then one side of the bulb blew up. Zdatt works for 4 years now and never blew up.
Have you installed a Zdatt H7 on a 2014+ DL1000? Were modifications required?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
I threw on an Eastern Beaver headlight bypass (it bypasses the somewhat delicate headlight wiring that goes thru the throttle side controls pod), and noticed a big increase in light output.....I wonder if you'd notice the same effect with the LED's you just installed.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts