StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have my route planned for 2016 Ride Free of DV Adventure but having difficulty actually getting it transposed on a map of OZ.

Google Maps has starting point at A but only lets you have waypoints up to J and then stops. This is only half my journey. I have seen around OZ maps with entire routes before.

My questions is what is the best programs to do this under ?

By the way here is The Cause website. Please read if you have time.

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/114776/riding-free-of-dv

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your step-daughter. There are far too many cases of domestic violence.

It would be good to meet up and ride some of the way with you when you get to NSW.

However, I moved the thread to Tech area as its not really Oz specific just because your trip is around Australia. It's a tech question that might be answered by someone from elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use Tyre, much better now than Google, especially in Australia.
Google has gone backward in its development.
Only downside is it isn't Mac friendly yet.

Www.tyretotravel.com
Actually integrates Google with its mapping.
Multiple way points, distances between same. You can zoom in and place points exactly where you want them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been looking for over a year for a program to draw maps for my West Virginia travel site, and found Furkot at another rider's suggestion. Free download. It takes a little experimenting to master, but I figured it out after just a few hours. If you want to try it and have any questions, PM me and I'll try to walk you through it.

Furkot site: https://trips.furkot.com

You can see my first projects on my Riding Routes Page of my website. Click on the links for interactive maps: http://www.ridingwv.com/RidingRoutes.htm

I looked, and they do have Australia. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I use Tyre, much better now than Google, especially in Australia.
I use Tyre exclusively, and routed daily trips on my Coast to Coast 15,550 km trip in September. Check out the GPS article and videos using Tyre on RoadRUNNER.....watch all 4 parts...good stuff.
Motorcycles and GPS: Satellite Navigation, Part 1 - RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel Magazine

Your specific problem I think, is due to the Google Maps at the time it was taken by the satellite. I had the same issue on 2 routes I was planning to V-Strom rallies.

The first plan refused to allow me to continue on a planned road, and detoured me around the long way. In speaking to someone who had ridden the road recently, he said that there was a washout at that location, but it had been repaired when he rode last year.

On the second circumstance, the road ended on the map, but continued a couple of miles away, but it refused to connect. All I did was make the end of the road the destination on Part A, then started Part B after that location, at the beginning of the continued road. It turns out that the water level comes right to the edge of the road, so when the satellite took the image, the road was under water.

I always zoom in on satellite mode to take a close look at the road to see if there is a washout or closed bridge. If you need a closer look, use Google Earth at street level.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sgt Schultz,

You know plenty. That is a much better website BUT still have trouble drawing the line. I have got from my home town Pt Lincoln as far as Gibb River Road and then line stops. Waypoints still come up past that point.

Here is link to the map. MyRoute-app: The #1 all-in-one app for tour riders and hikers!

Cheers

Flash
Ok, I take it you are using your phone to route. I always take a laptop, not a notebook or phone ,to map as the apps are not as functional on these.
I map my route on the computer then transfer it to my Garmin Zumo.
Can also print out.
Am off work tomorrow (12 hr shifts) so will post up a trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts