StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new least favorite phrase...Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting!

WTH? Is this something on my end? Do I need to update my account to see others pictures again, or does the person owning the picture need to update? Either way, it is ruining the historical info on the world wide web.

·
Registered
121 Posts
PhotoBucket tried to stop haemorrhaging money by changing it's terms, ransoming peoples images. People decided not to pay the ransom. A good example of how to fail at business.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Yep. It's your Photobucket account, not this site.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts
Or "their" Photobucket account....

I was paying $2.99 per month for extra storage. Because of that, and the fact that I was more or less on a contract with them, I am still allowed third party hosting. Meaning I can post pics here like before and all my pics are visible. Until September 2018 I believe was the date...

I won't be paying $39.99 per month for hosting privileges. Or even close to that. I have downloaded EVERY picture I had stored there. But, you cannot go back in time and repost the pictures as you cannot edit posts after a certain amount of time on most forums. So, like with others, most of what I have posted over the years will not have pictures unless Photobucket changes their policy on this.

If they were about bankrupt, I get trying something desperate. But I don't get who thought charging about 10 times what other sites charge would be a long term business model!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
This makes me glad that 99 percent of the photos I've posted to this and another motorcycle website have been via uploading the photo to the site. The images weren't anywhere near they quality of the third party hosted ones, but at least they'll still be there. Most of the junk I post is related to some DIY project, so at least someone who wanted to copy it could still get the gist of it.

You're just witnessing good ol' capitalism at work. They provided a service, and didn't calculate into their business plan that consumers might find another use for their service. They maintained the free service by jamming you with advertisments, until that business model no longer provided enough revenue. I'm sure they've known for years that there was a substantial number of customers that were using their site as a third party host, and at some point in the recent past the board sat down and said "hey, we're dying here, we need a revenue stream, let's monetize all these customers that are freeloading on our business...and let's up the pressure to pay by blocking the millions of images that we've previously hosted for them".

If you think this sucks, wait'll they dismantle Net Neutrality, and Comcast/Spectrum/Etc start making you pay based on how many gigs you use every month. "Cuz that's likely to be right around the corner.

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
This makes me glad that 99 percent of the photos I've posted to this and another motorcycle website have been via uploading the photo to the site. The images weren't anywhere near they quality of the third party hosted ones, but at least they'll still be there.
We can increase file limit size and quantity as well if you want :)

It's easier if you guy post your images here so that all image upload issues can be directed to us should sometime happen.

Lee

·
38,049 Posts
Just so I'm clear...if I update MY account, people will be able to see my stuff, but I still won't be able to see anyone's photos that don't update?
That's correct.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

It's easier if you guy post your images here so that all image upload issues can be directed to us should sometime happen.

Lee
This is actually something I addressed in a separate thread not too long ago.

It sure seems to me that the images that I upload to the site are a lot smaller than they used to be, and that's the main reason that i began hunting around for an image hosting site (I settled on one I already had: Google Photos). Previously, the image size was adequate for showing the details of one of my projects, but lately an uploaded image is so small as to be basically useless to someone who was looking at it and trying to copy what I did.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,145 Posts

Lee
I think Vertical Scope is going to be forced to host pictures for their sites. Which means some work on their end to make it easy and presentable. I hate thumbnail pictures on site. But the ones here where you can click on a decent size picture to make it even larger work well enough.

·
38,049 Posts
Even better. Create an album here as an image hosting site. Here's a picture from my Album for example.

If you don't have an Album yet, just click the Gallery button at the top of the page, search for your user name, and click add Album.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For Dropbox users:

If you, like me, automatically upload photos from your phone to Dropbox (which I highly recommend) you can do third party sharing within Dropbox.

Take a regular "share link" that might look like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/55o8rsurxhf5ck8/2017-02-26 11.24.43-1.jpg?dl=0

Edit the domain:
www.dropbox.com => dl.dropboxusercontent.com

So now its looks like:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/55o8rsurxhf5ck8/2017-02-26 11.24.43-1.jpg?dl=0

You can then insert that into a post and you get:

What a pretty picture :) (coming direct from my Dropbox)

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
My concern at this point in using any free image hosting site is, what's to say the same thing isn't going to happen to them as has happened to Photobucket? Unless you're paying for the service, then it's only "free" because they plaster their site with ads. The more users that sign up, the more server space and bandwidth they use, all of which has to be supported by ad revenue. At some point they decide that ad revenue isn't sufficient, and they now have to charge for a service that's been free for years.

Even the sites you pay for could do this. If they decide to charge more for their service than you're willing to pay, they could block access to your photos that are linked to other sites until you pay them more. It's not like deciding to shut off your cable when they raise your rates; they are basically able to hold your photos hostage until you pay up.

How long until the other free photo hosting services follow Photobucket's example? Unless this move proves financially disastrous for Photobucket, it wouldn't surprise me to see other services doing the exact same thing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I post all my photos using Tapatalk on my phone. It's super easy and doesn't require any resizing. Once the photos are posted I don't know where they are stored. Are they still controlled by Tapatalk or do they become part of the forum archives?

·
Registered
121 Posts
My concern at this point in using any free image hosting site is, what's to say the same thing isn't going to happen to them as has happened to Photobucket? Unless you're paying for the service, then it's only "free" because they plaster their site with ads.
Who doesn't like free! But, in general you get what you pay for. Pay nothing and really we can't "expect" anything.

I'm a big fan of Dropbox - I pay for a bunch of space there - I use it to sync between my machines and backup up my important stuff. If they went out of business tomorrow I would still have my stuff, sync'd between machines. No loss, would just switch to another provider - Google Drive, NextCloud, Mega...

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, if your image hosting site went down tomorrow, every place you had linked to one of your photos on your hosting service's server would be gone, because the place that the photo is linked to is gone.

I'm not talking about losing your photos; if you use Dropbox (or Google Photos, of Verizon Cloud, or whatever) to backup your pictures, then that's what it is; a backup. The photos still exist on your computer, or standalone hard drive, or wherever you store them. But syncing your devices to Dropbox won't make any difference if Dropbox decides tomorrow to stop allowing third party hosting, or decides to charge for it. And that's what a lot of people are complaining about; years of photos attached to blogs, forum posts, on line ads, etc all suddenly gone.

I understand that nothing is free; that was my point. There's nothing to stop any of the other free image hosting sites to do the same thing as Photobucket, so changing "free" sites isn't really a solution to the problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup, that's what I was getting at - when we use "free" we have no control, or recourse. If Dropbox went broke tomorrow, being a "proper" business, and the huge amount of data stored there, a decent recovery would more likely happen..

Until lately, I've been storing photos I put on this forum, in this forum gallery. If the forum goes, the photos go. But I'm also conscious of the fact that my photo's take space on the server that someone else here is paying for, and I'm less happy about that, so I'll use Dropbox in the future.

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
Testing Greywolfs suggestion

I tried years ago to put images directly to Stromtrooper but gave up. Too old and doddery to understand compllcated instructions.

Hey it works. Thanks Pat.

Simple is good. Very simple even better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts