StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay people,
I cannot decide! Which crash bars do I buy?? I like the option of someday mounting a skid plate. But I am not going to run off into the Baja any time soon. I just want a really good, strong protection. I like the Hepco Becker, I like the option from SW Motec. What about Givi? Would someone please decide for me? I'm so confused!! :shock:

·
Registered
852 Posts
T.N.,

Hey, bash plates are not just for Baja anymore!

I had something crack the sump on my ZRX one day while out riding. The replacement part was not cheap, actually a bash plate is much cheaper.

My 'Strom now has a set of Pat Walsh Designs Engine Guards, Bash Plate and Oil Cooler Guard. It spends most of it's life on the expressways as a commuter. Stuff gets tossed up all the time! I'd rather bend the bash plate than break an oil pan or case!

Of course, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tyblaney said:
Okay people,
I cannot decide! Which crash bars do I buy?? I like the option of someday mounting a skid plate. But I am not going to run off into the Baja any time soon. I just want a really good, strong protection. I like the Hepco Becker, I like the option from SW Motec. What about Givi? Would someone please decide for me? I'm so confused!! :shock:

M

·
0 Posts
Rather than start yet another crashbar thread, I will just use this one to hopefully get an answer to a similar question.
From what I have seen, the HB bars 'look' like they are the most robust and would offer the most protection. However, I like the value of the Pat Walsh setup, along with the integrated skid plate.
To anyone with the Pat Walsh setup, do the bars stick out far enough to protect the fairings?

Actually, hearing crash experiences from users with various crash bar setups would be helpful. How well did various crash bars protect, how well did they hold up themselves?

·
Registered
852 Posts
It looks like they do, but I'm not going to put it down intentionally to find out!

·
Registered
152 Posts
tyblaney said:
Okay people,
Ty! Here's your decision - buy the HB's.

I've the HB's & I like them very much - I installed them because they seemed to be the most robust and attractive out of the lot. I also like how they rise up to protect the delicate fairing work.

I have to admit I was astonished at how heavy they felt when I took delivery - I guess they won't soon bend. I hate adding more weight to the bike. Oh those pesky tradeoffs.

I've not acquired a bash plate [yet], but I saw somewhere in www land that there is one that will work with the HB bars (might even be made by HB). It too looks more robust than the SW Motech IMHO.

suspend reality as often as practical :D

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
tyblaney, I have the Givi bars on my Strom. I never considered the skid plate option, only got them in case gravity got the better of me (and the Strom) and I set it down on the ground. The Givis seem pretty good, only issue was with the mounting bolts (they're pretty scabby with galvanzing on them, I think). Other than that, no rattles and they look to offer decent protection.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had the misfortune to crash test the SW Motech bars at 40 mph. They saved the right side of my bike from major damage. I did replace the right fairing (rashed) and right crash bar, but no other major damage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
subagon said:
I've had the misfortune to crash test the SW Motech bars at 40 mph. They saved the right side of my bike from major damage. I did replace the right fairing (rashed) and right crash bar, but no other major damage.
So the SW-Motech's don't protect the fairings?

·
Registered
167 Posts
d2mini said:
subagon said:
So the SW-Motech's don't protect the fairings?
Not at the angle I ended up in :lol: I high-sided. If it'd been a low-side I don't think the fairing would have been damaged. I've read of others with SW Motech bars and not have any damage to the fairing.

Understand, the fairing didn't break, just road rashed. I could have left it that way, but insurance paid for the repair. Overall I was very happy with the job that the bars did to save the $$$ bits (frame, engine, etc).

Pictures (click picts for larger image); http://cycle.frogfruit.com/main.php?g2_itemId=165

BTW; the bar wasn't damaged other than major scratches and paint removal. The cost to re-powder coat the bar was greater than replacing it. Point is, it didn't bend or break.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hepco Becker Crashbars

tyblaney - I looked at all of the after market bars and chose Hepco Becker. The installation was fairly simple after replacing two supplied upper mount bolts (total 4) with stronger allen heads. I personally like the looks and as an added benefit, they will bolt up to the second generation skid plates being offered by Adventure Moto They can be reached at [email protected]

The cross bar mount was also a great place for mounting auxillary lights. Looks very sano. Hope this helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gentlemen!

After much anticipation I have decide to go with the GIVI's couldn't decide and thought "what the hell, Givi is a good brand". I'm assuming that they will only last until they suit their intended purpose. Thanks to all for your info.
Mr. V-Strom. :D

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
My Givi bars survived a dead drop on concrete. Don't look so good now but it could have been much worse without them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
tyblaney said:
Okay people,
I'll try to get some pics of mine - it's still in the shop from my accident 2 weeks ago, but the SW bars did a pretty good job of protecting the fairing; the unfortunate part was that the PO added driving lights to the middle of the fairing, so it added some extra damage.

KL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts