StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not go to Nova Scotia this year, as I had cardiac bypass surgery and couldn't take any more time off. I would like to plan a one week trip next season, and would like recommendations as where to go. I only have one week, and will be leaving from Upstate New York. Two of my top choices are Nova Scotia and Tail of the Dragon.

Any others recommendations or ideas from those that have completed such a trip?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
What time of the year are you panning on going?

I just got back from riding from TN to Maine and back. Good trip, but you are basically in the Appalachian Mts for most of the time so the scenery does not change dramatically. The roads and the ride are great though. I have not been to NE Canada, so I can't comment there. I turned around at Calais Maine on the Canadian border on that trip, so maybe next time.

My vote is take two weeks and go to Moab ;)

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Never been to Nova Scotia? You are in for a treat. Years ago I picked up an 'Atlantic Canada Back Roads Atlas' in a convenience store there and now I hardly ever stay lost for long. roads are winding and road signs are often absent as locals know where they are going, folks are friendly, lots of coast and seafood. Parts of Nova Scotia can be busy in the summer season. After Labor Day weather is best and tourist rif raf is much gone. Check the weather often those east coast storms that hit the US can be just as nasty in Nova Scotia. Where to go? It don't matter. I avoid cities like Halifax and tourist destinations like Peggy's Cove. South Shore is nice, Crescent Beach, Risser's Provincial Park but you really should ride the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Bring bug repellent though they slow down after labor day.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes, fall is beautiful in NS. Take the too bloody expensive ferry from Maine across to Yarmouth, ride up the Annapolis Valley, then Route 215 & 236 to Truro, TransCanada Hwy (Hwy 104) to Cape Breton, Cabot Trail, TCH back through NS, NB to ME. No cities.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the information. Back in the 1970's, I hitchhiked from N.Y. city to P.E.I. and N.S. No motorcycling though.
Unless I come up with some other bright idea, I will most like ride late August or early September from Upstate N.Y. through Vt., N.H. and Maine, take the ferry to N.S. and take it from there. I can do that trip in 8 days without killing myself.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Yes, fall is beautiful in NS. Take the too bloody expensive ferry from Maine across to Yarmouth, ride up the Annapolis Valley, then Route 215 & 236 to Truro, TransCanada Hwy (Hwy 104) to Cape Breton, Cabot Trail, TCH back through NS, NB to ME. No cities.

Cheers,
Glenn
Where's the goose bumps emoji!!!

I LOVE the east coast in Canada. I haven't ridden it much, but I have pulled the family, trailer and three dogs up and down the east coast for 5 years in a row every summer.

This past summer we spent a week in Bar Harbour, Maine. A week in northern Cape Breton and a week in PEI.

Last summer we drove to Newfoundland with the full caravan, ferry and all. Drove the whole island, right up to St. Anthony's. A true National Lampoons Vacation!

I swore to myself, each summer, that I would do all of it again on two wheels one day. Truly magnificent place(s) to ride and soak in some serenity.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Agreed. Magnificent place.

You'll want a min of two weeks if you tackle the Rock.
The Rock. The Granite Planet. My home. Born and raised in Gander.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'd say it depends what you're after. NS has some beautiful views, but if you like technical roads and convenience, Appalachia is the better choice.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
A consideration is down South you have a longer riding season. So maybe take the week and head North then later in the season if some time breaks free head down south for a few days?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Check out here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/north-america/428297-southern-ontario-nova-scotia.html

I would go in spring to the eastern V-strom rally at the iron horse. Great riding to/ from and there. Plus you will easily find others going there as well.

Then, as suggested see if you cant get another long weekend to go to Cape Bretton island. I would not take the ferry, unless to save time, and ride up the coast all the way to the island (at least that is what we did when we went). Consider the chance of having coastal fog in NS. We had several days where it took much of the morning for the fog to burn off, makes those coastal miles not very attractive.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Harmut,
Question-from Lake George, how much time would I have to put aside to attend the Eastern rally?

Life is too short. I hope to go to N.S. and possibly the Eastern rally.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Add Comp Time? Sick Days?

I would incorporate US 2 and US 7 through the Lake Champlain VT corridor and QC223 to the Trans Canada HWY then east, or vice versa. along the way, Quebec City is like 17th century France. IMHO, a week is too rushed, even doing Interslab most of the time, which is counterintuitive. My 2¢/.03CDN.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been to the Maritimes but not Newfoundland and my friend just got back from the Tail of the Dragon and he wasn't very impressed.

You can't go wrong with the Maritimes forget the Tail of the Dragon

·
Registered
840 Posts
I vote for Nova Scotia. Tail of the Dragon just ain't all that great.
Agree. North Carolina has some very pleasant twisty Appalachian roads, but the Tail of the Dragon is the most over rated stretch of road in the U.S. If you head to that area and spend some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Cherohola Skyway, the moon shiners trail from North Carolina to North Georgia, you’ll have some beautiful riding, and you can throw in a ride on the dragon early one morning.

I would have to think that a week touring around Nova Scotia would be pretty remarkable.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
… Question-from Lake George, how much time would I have to put aside to attend the Eastern rally? ....
I can send you GPS routes going to and from. If you have not ridden the BRPW you want to do it once. Its ~460 miles long and your average speed will be less than 40mph (45mph speed limit). So if you want to do some detours you need minimum 2 days, plus one day to get to Strasburg VA (not much further than Romney, if you did that ride). 2 days riding the smoky mountains with some buddies. Then 3 days going back through the Appalachians via some fabulous curvy roads. There is MUCH MORE than just the tail of the dragon! This year we left in cold rain and then once in Virginia we had great and warm weather, real spring the entire trip. We took it a little slower going there in 4 days.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Having been out to both, I'd say if you want to enjoy nice roads, big scenery and warm culture, then go east coast Canada.
The food, the people and the landscape is remarkable.

When I want to push the limits of my bike and ride relentless twisty roads, then I head to the Smokey's.
My last trip down to the Gap, I rode the dragon every day about 5-10 times a day. Only on weekdays and only in the mornings / evenings.
Spend the rest of the daytime riding all the other amazing roads.

Safe trip Syd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts