StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my first Vee and I think I found a couple of good deals, but I don't know if its too old or not. I will have to drive about 3 hours to go get it so I want to make sure.

It is a 2004 Dl1000 with 4500 miles on it. It comes with a full set of Givi Luggage (3 cases), and Lamar lip added to the windshield. It has some minor scratches but mostly new looking. Garage kept. He is asking $5500, but it sounds like he would let it go for $5000. Is this a good deal? Is a 2004 too old?

The other one Im looking at in the same area and is a 2008 with 14,000 miles and lots of extras but it looks as though it has a younger rider that has taken it offroad quite a bit. It has a Leo Vince exhaust, Givi luggage setup, tankbag, crash bars, corbin seat, and other extras. He is asking the same $5500 and I don't know if he will go lower yet.

Thanks for any help on this, it is much appreciated. I just want to make the right decision and get a bike that is going to last.

BTW my budget is around 5500 and I would like to get gear bags that come with the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Go with the deal that FEELS right.

Ask questions, use your head, then make the choice.

There is nothing wrong with a 2004.

·
Registered
201 Posts
NADA prices
2004 Suzuki DL1000K4 V-STROM
Suggested List Price Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price $8,999 $3,315 $4,190
2008 Suzuki DL1000K4 V-STROM
Base Price $8,999 $5,130 $6,625

Farkels don't count on retail resell. Only private owner sales include them as priced options.

Pending condition the 2008 appears to be the better PRICE deal.

The 2004 still has factory rubber which maybe cracked and needs replaced. I doubt it has had it's second maintenance done. The bike with that low miles is ignored/not ridden.

The 2008 has at least the back tire replaced and has had the maintenance done. It's coming due for a valve check. May have had some engine maps changed for the tuned exhaust. And may need a chain/sprockets shortly.

Just saying...

·
Registered
89 Posts

Good advice.

The 04 sounds like the cleaner of the two but, IMO its not worth more the 5k tops.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I agree with this 100%
I just spent over a month searching around for a Vee. I have wasted quite a few hours looking at bikes. I finally found an 05 with 22k and some xtra's for $4800 200 or so miles from me. The only reason I am willing to go get this one is because I felt the owner really cared for this bike. I spent almost an hour on the phone with him talking about the bike. I can't say whether that price is too high(it is compared to similar bikes I've seen) because the market will dictate the price. The best advice I can give is to make a list of questions, using this and other sites, to ask about the bike. If the bike needs service, call around and check pricing on parts and/or labor in your area. Sounds like the owner of the 08 loved to ride it and paid enough attention to set it up to his liking. But did he love it enough to service it? I do agree that a low mileage bike can often go uncared for. Good luck in your search. Try to keep a level head, don't jump onto the first bike you see "just because you have to have it!" I know I am often distracted by an overwhelming urge to have something. Which often leads to regret....

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
It is the beginning of the sell bike season

Usually availability goes up and prices down

I have a Vee and yes they are rarer but IMHO the 04 price seems high.

The 08 If its not a kid banging the rev limiter I don't think they can hurt it

·
Registered
44 Posts
v strom

if you can get the 04 for 5 k great deal even if you have to put 2 new tires and service it you will put a grand worth of farkles in it also so good luck !!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the help on this everyone. I actually just found a 2004 with 9000 miles last night. Full Givi luggage setup, crash bars, communication system, center stand and a few other extras for $4700. It is within 30 miles of me and seems like a good deal. I looked at it last night and the owner seems to have taken care of it quite well with regular servicing. Unless an 04 is too old, I think it may be the one for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Joey that does sound like a good buy. Mine should sell pretty easily. Until then it's just sitting in the garage waiting for a new owner... If anyone wants pics I'll be glad to email what ever views you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts