StromTrooper banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I wonder how many here actually understand what I meant about collecting pop bottles? Or the glass milk jugs...
That sir is a good question. I remember taking them to the grocery on my bicycle. When you really work for money you think harder about how you spend it.

And therein lies the problem with today's youth.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wonder how many here actually understand what I meant about collecting pop bottles? Or the glass milk jugs...
Not only do I remember collecting pop bottles, and the milk bottles being delivered daily, but I remember when I could buy a bottle of pop for 12 cents if I drank it in the store and left the bottle behind, or for 15 cents if I took it out. And, since we're going down that road, I had my first mini bike when I was 13, and I could fill a glass jug with a gallon of tax exempt gas for 50 cents...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ha! Two cents each!
I was a country boy. I would take a empty feed sack and walk two miles up and two back to the next little town (meaning five or six houses) on a gravel road to find pop bottles people tossed out their window. Then I would cash in the bottles and get me an ice cold Verner's Ginger Ale (ten cents back then). Five bottles bought me a cold one! I can not imagine a twelve year old kid today walking four miles down a gravel road on a hot July day just to get a bottle of pop.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
981 Posts
If I was really patient, I would save up and go get a chili dog and a coke. Two bucks and change, so that took a while.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When I was ten years old, we had our milk delivered. We had little insulated box outside our back door that would hold four 1gallon glass jugs of milk We usually got 2 gallons of whole milk and a half gallon of skim in the brown bottle. One of my chores to earn my 30¢ allowance was to bring the milk in on Thursday mornings, and rinse out and put the empties out in the box as needed. One day I was shaking an unopened gallon jug by rotating it back and forth to distribute the un-homogenized cream that had risen to the top of the jug. I lost my grip and dropped it on my little toe breaking it. The toe, not the jug! 62 years later, I still drink milk and the toe is still set in its ways.
Hand Human body Finger Thumb Barefoot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think the place to start would be by confirming the throttle body boots are securely attached to confirm there is no air leaking into the intake around the attachment points. If you've had a backfire out the intake it can sometimes blow the boot/s partly off. As they age the rubber can become stiff so they might require more clamping force to keep them in place.

Another place to look is at all the vacuum lines to ensure they are not split and cracked or missing.

Good luck, hope you find a simple solution!
Thanks I hope I do

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What have you done so far as testing/inspection? A bad or failing TPS can cause what you're describing, but not exclusively.
Spent 600 quid on valve clearance check full service and replacing camshaft sensor and all gaskets ..still no luck

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,479 Posts
Could still be something else, but yeah check the TPS. It's pretty easy to confirm the idle calibration and movement without leaving the garage. At least a few old threads here and on the old vsri forums on how to do this. If you can't find them let us know and someone will post a link.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Don't let this distract from the help offered above, but I have a VERY STRONG SNEAKING SUSPICION that the Fuel Injectors on these bikes can become obstructed after the fuel pumps internal filter fails. Not like a carbs jets varnishing over, but actual particulate crud making it's way into the injectors. I had similar symptoms on my 2014 Vee2 after using gas from a can that my son later said might have had water and dirt in it.

Try a coupe full throttle runs after letting the bike warmed up. Throttle wide open through the gears. If it runs better afterwards, I would suspect the above.

Then again, might not have anything to do with it.
I had a friend with an SV1000 that had a cracked and leaking fuel injector. I also had a truck with a cracked vacuum diaphragm in the pressure regulator which also allowed fuel to dribble into the manifold. Running fast on the motorway, a little extra unmetered fuel can be dealt with. Slowing up will make it more difficult to compensate for the excess fuel. Opening the throttle to start it allows more air to enter and offset the gas that has dribbled into the manifold (effectively performing the technique used to start a flooded carburetor). Allowing it to sit long enough to cool off allows the dribbled gas to evaporate from the manifold resulting in a normal start.

Check the fuel pressure leak down after shutting off the engine to see if there is a leaky injector.

<EDIT>
If I recall correctly, the pre-2014 DL1000's do not have an oxygen sensor feedback loop... so you might be able to check the spark plug to see if it is running rich as an alternative to the leak down test. However, the leak down test will give much better (more definitive) results.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts