StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a wee and have 2 very clean bikes for same price. One is 2007 with 4K mi the other a 2009 with 13K.

Which would you buy?

I'm leaning toward the 09' given 13K miles should be nothing for this bike - right? Plus it won't be a commuter bike for me so not looking at tons of miles by.

Thoughts?

all input appreciated for a 'soon to be wee owner'

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't go by mileage. I would go by price and condition. Does one have new tires? Chain condition? Are there any maintenance records?

Then of course there's color

·
Registered
490 Posts
Are they both ABS? I would go with the lower miles (that '07 is barely broken in!) if it is ABS as well, and assuming they are both in similar condition with similar farkles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I Agree with KOG and Yak. Between '07 and '09 there were very few changes, and the mileages you're talking about (4K vs 13K) are both considered low mileage for a Wee. I'd look at ABS vs non-ABS, condition of the bike, maintenance records, how many previous owners, clean title, how it feels on the test ride, farkles installed, color preference (if they're different colors, and it matters to you) etc. as the factors in making the decision.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Basically the same bike, damn near the same miles for all intents and purposes. Go with the nicer one / your favorite color / whatevs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd seriously inquire into the K7 with 4k. See what type of use it's got! I have a K7 with 11,000, that I used ALL the time for commuting! In California, I drove it almost every day, BUT I also drove cross the country from Cali to Va, and another trip from MD to SC and back (that's pushing 5K between the two). ask what's the deal with the mileage, because if it was a commuter like mine was, it will get regular play, but keep low miles. I work like a slave, and I've got a wife and baby, so I don't give it any more than 200 miles a month now. Also have a Harley, and on sunny days, that's usually what wakes the neighbors early in the a.m.:thumbup:

Sooooooo, you never know until you ask. But lower miles is what I always look for, and as a habbit I won't buy a bike that averages over 2k a year, or a car that averages over 8K!

Now, you definitely can't go wrong with with the K9, either. it's tried and tru, and you know it. The owner probably loved it, rode it and will part with a great bike!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Even though 13K is reasonably low miles, I'd go for the '07. I bought my 2005 DL650 last year and it had only 2,000 miles on the clock. After running 50 miles worth of fresh gas through it, I have what amounts to a new bike, at a 5 year old bike price. I commute to work every day, so I'll have those tires worn out before they get brittle. The bike was 100% stock and with the money I saved, I added a fork brace, heated grips, hand guards, gear indicator, 12v dash outlet, center stand, engine guard, and a new battery. I've flogged the bike without mercy for a year and it still looks and runs like new, and has only 10,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I am a little surprised the 07 is going for the same price as the 09 because the adjustment for mileage should not be enough to bring them even. Yes, the 07 has low mileage, but the 09 does not exactly have high mileage either. NADA base prices for the two bikes (non-ABS) are $5,630 and $4,715. If truly equal in all other respects and the guy with the 07 won't go down bit, I'd probably go for the 09.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts