StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I have been looking at the v-strom for quite some time now so wanted to get on this forum and ask a few questions. I understand that the best way to know is to spend some time on the bike; however I live in a very rural area and don't really have the opportunity to get to many bike shops. I want to narrow my decision down to 2 or 3 bikes I can drive back-to-back during my next trip into the nearest city.

I am 5'10" 180 with a 32" inseam. I have spent a LOT of time on a 1995 BMW F650 and newer honda xr650, lost interest in biking, and then about 2 years ago I picked up an FZ6 as payment from a tenant for some damage done to my rental.

Since riding the fazer, I have been again bitten by the bike bug. I want to do some traveling on my bike (6-700 mile trips) and mainly 2 up. My main concerns are comfort and confidence for myself and my passenger.

I have been looking at several bikes and am looking for honest advice between them; r12rt, r12gs, st13, fjr13, and of course the vstrom.

A friend of mine has an fjr that I enjoy, however I am concerned that the seating position is to close to that of my fazer, which I hate after 20 minuets of riding. Of the five bikes mentioned I have only ridden the fjr.

Thanks for any help!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Oh Lord! I'm a shorter rider. I didn't know that until now. :wink1:

I'll see if I can forget it. I am also 5'-10" with a 32" inseam. I have lowered the front 13mm but that's to reduce aerodynamic front end lift and to make handling quicker. It's original height setting was no problem.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
short

I'm 5-10 and buy pants with a 30" inseam

my Wee is lowered 3/4" rear and frontforks are raised 5/8" (orsometing like that)

I wish it were bit lower - but I am adapting well :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well 1st off I don't think the Strom's will be too tall for you. I also think that comfort will be suitable for you and your SOH.

Now back to the list of other bikes you have listed I have owned most of them .. A ST1100, R1150RT, FJR1300 and I find the Strom's both 650 & 1000 to be the equal in comfort to all but maybe the BMW RT's. As you know the FJR bends you over and I found my ST to be better than the FJR but personally for me not as good as the V-Strom.

Of course you are talking a huge difference in m-o-n-e-y between these bikes you have listed unless you can pick up a nice clean used example worth the price. Then with the BMW you have the lack of dealer network most of the time a BMW dealer is at least 150 mi away and many times several states away when out on a trip touring in the western states.

Hopefully you can ride a VS and then you will start to understand why most people who own them are very happy with their choice. I just love the way the 90 V-Twin pulls and the power pulses ..... How can they make them so good and sell them so cheap :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
me too

I too have a 32' inseam. I first tried the 3/4" (I think) lowering links, for sale if you're interested - PM me. Then went to the turn buckle type, lots easier to fine tune to my height but more $$$. I realized I had to do something when I was backing up and my foot went into a small hole, down I went. I also lowered the front a bit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Heck, I'm 5'8" with a 27" inseam. I've been riding since I was 14 years old(that makes 53 yrs in the saddle) and every bike I've owned with the exception of my Cushman Eagle and my Valkyrie have been what most would consider "too tall" for me. Over the years I just learned to "deal with it" or I'd still be stuck on that '59 Cushman.

I tried lowering the Wee 3/4" front and rear but it just didn't feel "right" to me so I put it back to stock settings. I have a Russell seat which is a bit taller than stock, but I've learned to slide forward and just drop the left foot as I come to a stop, keeping the right foot on the brake pedal.

Right or wrong, it works for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Cutler, often there are local upholstery shops who can do a good job of reshaping the seat to fit a rider. You can always try it yourself, as well. A few custom seat shops do a good job making a seat fit with photos of the rider if they can't ride in for a fitting. The reshaping or custom seat works very well for both fit and comfort.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Are you comfortable riding with just getting one foot or two toes down at a time? If yes, you'll have no problems.

I am 5'11" and order my jeans with a 30" inseam. Only dropped mine once! (That's good for a clutz like me.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Lord! I'm a shorter rider. I didn't know that until now. :wink1:
haha.. Many of the vstrom riders I have seen in my neck of the woods and reading online are 6' + and thats why I consider myself a bit short for the bike.

Well I called today and a powersports about 3 hours from me has both a vstrom 650 an fjr1300ae and an st13. I will be making the trip on Monday.

Over the phone the sales guy was really talking up the fjr, said that they had 1 new 2008 and 5 2010's. Said if I liked it, I could have the 08 for 9500. Whats the deal with the 08 fjr13ae?

Thanks all!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
5' 6" here with a 30" inseam. You should also look at the Kawasaki Concours 1400. You could find a deal now on an 08 or 09. They are more plentiful than FJRs.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I am 5"9" tall with a 30 inch inseam on the pants I wear for everyday (I order 32 inch inseams on my riding pants so they won't ride up). I lowered both the front and rear of my bike by 1 inch so that I can wear my touring boots (they have thin soles) and still put both feet flat on the ground when at a stop on the bike. The only shortcoming I have noticed with my bike set up this way is that I have to be careful when parking so that the nose of my bike if facing out if there is any slope on the parking space, otherwise I have to stand beside the bike to push it out of the parking space as I can't get enough leverage to push it out when on the bike. Not a big hassle, but something I have to be aware of.

·
Registered
201 Posts
haha.. Many of the vstrom riders I have seen in my neck of the woods and reading online are 6' + and thats why I consider myself a bit short for the bike.

Well I called today and a powersports about 3 hours from me has both a vstrom 650 an fjr1300ae and an st13. I will be making the trip on Monday.

Over the phone the sales guy was really talking up the fjr, said that they had 1 new 2008 and 5 2010's. Said if I liked it, I could have the 08 for 9500. Whats the deal with the 08 fjr13ae?

Thanks all!!:thumbup:
First off, I wish I was as tall and had a 32 inseam. If you're feeling that a bike is too tall, I'd strongly suggest (as have others), try a seat mod first. That should get you to where you won't feel the bike is too tall.

the fjrae is the automatic version of the fjr, no clutch. It's never been very popular. If you check out the fjr forum you could read many of the comments by owners of that model.

I've owned an st13 and an fjr (clutch model). These bikes are *much* heavier than the Wee, by about 200 lbs. They would not feel as nimble or agile as the Wee would. Their forte is sport touring, where the Wee is much more of an 'all around' bike, some off roading etc.

They are all good bikes. That's not at question. But we all have to determine what we'll use a bike for... whatever that would be, the majority of the time, that's the criteria to use for your choice.

I see many many people now going towards smaller displacements and lighter bikes like the Wee because most of what they do is around town, or daily excursions and the like. With occasional long trips.

Those big sport touring bikes are in their elements on long trips mostly. Wet, the st13 weighs in at 730 lbs... Not exactly something yer gonna heave around the garage easily...

·
Registered
722 Posts
-ae, isn't that the automatic one? A motorcycle without a clutch lever? Thanks anyway.

The FJR sounds like the most well rounded big-boy sport-tourer to me. At least on paper, I've never had the means myself.

Wee's are cheaper to buy, cheaper to fuel, and likely cheaper to keep tires on too. So they get my attention.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't think th strom is to tall for you. But, if you want to lower it you can easily do so.

The other bikes you listed all have several things in common. They are more expensive, much heavier, most have fairings that will keep more weather off of you, and they are more powerfull.

The strom is a wonderfull bike and so are most of the ones on your list. You need to ask yourself what you want to do with the bike. For extended high speed riding, something like an FJR, ST, RT, Concourse, etc would be better than a strom. If you are doing more low speed, low quality pavement, around town, or light off-roading the strom has the advantage. If cost is a factor, the strom will be cheaper for comparable age and condition and will also be cheaper to run and (probably) insure.

How much power do you want? The 650 strom has all the power you will ever NEED. It can out accelerate almost all cars and break the speed limit anywhere in the US. Some guys WANT more power. Are you one of them?

You can't go wrong with your list as long as you match the bike to your intended purpose. Be aware that most BMW owners say the cost of ownership is considerably higher than a comparable jap bike.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
5' 6" here with a 30" inseam. You should also look at the Kawasaki Concours 1400. You could find a deal now on an 08 or 09. They are more plentiful than FJRs.
The C14 is a tall bike for allot of riders.....trust me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a DL1000, and 5'11', and a 30" inseam. My problem is I dropped the bike the other day, and it was all I could do to pick it up. I'm glad I had the barkbusters, and Givi engine guards. Just a few scratches. I'm wondering if I've got too much bike, and I getting to old to ride? What if I had the panniers on, and loaded for a trip? It would still be lying on it's side. The Wee isn't that much lighter. This is messing with my head.

·
Registered
722 Posts
How's your technique?

Every time I drop a bike I flip out and try to get it upright right away-you know, before anyone notices. And its always a bear. Once I calm down, take a deep breath, and lift with my legs with my back facing the bike the thing pops right up.

I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi I'm just under 5.8 with a 29" inseem. I have two seats for my Wee. the standard one & the other one is of a thousand( higher & better comfort). only dropped mine the once and that was due to the paving stones being very slimey. I think you will have no probs with Wee. however the Vee is heavier and carries it high up too so seems a hell of a lot heavier. My last tuor was two, fully loaded up. riding at approx 85mph on the clocks returned 65mpg (uk gallons) absolutely awesome bike. 2550miles in 6 days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts