StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is an ABS plastic version of the aftermarket skid plates available. Obviously it wouldn't be a skid plate, but I'm not sure what to call it. Maybe a "lower cowling" or "engine guard"? Basically something to keep mud, grit, small stones etc. off the lower part of the engine and out of the oil cooler.

The heavy duty "skid plates" are fine, but since I don't go far off-road and any off-road I'm likely to do is basically gravel, I don't really need the added weight (and cost) of a heavy duty skid plate.

The other function would be purely cosmetic in cleaning up the lines of the bike by partly hiding the various bits stuck to the bottom of the engine (oil filter, oil cooler, header etc.)

I think the DL 1000 came with a plastic guard under the engine, but it was pretty small and I don't suppose it would fit the DL650 anyway. I've searched the forums and found a few people wondering the same as me, but the threads were a few years old and there wasn't much information in them. Just wondering if anything has appeared on the market more recently?

I have the Givi guards and a centerstand, so I have mounting points available.

If I want something light weight and inexpensive, am I going to have to make it myself? I know there's a valid argument that if I'm going to spend the time and effort doing this I might just as well pay out the $150-$250 for a heavy duty commercial skid plate. That might well be true.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bashplates

Many moons past Ossa used fibreglass as the material for its bashplates. This is surprisingly strong and easily repairable, I wonder if anybody has made one for the Wee.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The Hyde racing belly pan is one of the best for protecting the bike as well.

Mines been used off road and the bikes has survived some substantial impacts.

Pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
My competition bike (1974 Yamaha TY250) came with a fiberglass skid plate.....it was the first thing everyone takes off and replaces.

My vote would be that you are just as well off not having one as having a plastic/fiberglass unit.

just my .02

·
Registered
64 Posts
My wee has a full Leo Vince exhaust system, so I couldn't get a proper bash plate of any make to fit, until I got ahold of the pyramid plastics belly pan. Yeah, it's fiberglass, but that gave me the flexibilty to strategically trim it to clear my front header. It fully covers the oil filter, at least from the standpoint of projectiles coming from the front wheel, and it can take a hit, judging by the numerous marks on mine.

Pyramid Belly Pan Suz DL650 - Ready for Paint

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm wondering if there is an ABS plastic version of the aftermarket skid plates available. Obviously it wouldn't be a skid plate, but I'm not sure what to call it. Maybe a "lower cowling" or "engine guard"? Basically something to keep mud, grit, small stones etc. off the lower part of the engine and out of the oil cooler.
The Hyde racing plate uses the exhaust mount near the right footpeg, a plug in that machined hole in the bottom of the engine case, and a clamp on the front of the pipe. That last mount can be made to go away.

People who recognize its limits seem to like it:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/65877-hyde-racing-skid-plate-comments.html

Glenn

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the current cost would be around $300 (US) which is a tad on the pricey side, but it does look good and appears to be a very high quality product.

I have a plastic (HDPE?) kayak that I've slammed into and dragged over rocks without significant damage. If they can make an entire Kayak for $500, you'd think they could make some sort of half way decent looking fairing/skid plate for under $100. I'm just dreaming I guess.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Somewhere in my dim memory I recall an ABS belly-pan/skidplate that was made by one of our own. He also made metal skidplates but offered the ABS version as a lightweight alternative.

For the life of me I cant find it now.

Anyone?

BTW that Podia sure looks nice! Does it make oil and filter changes more difficult?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, there are these:

V-strom 650 skid plates for sale

But the steel version weighs 11lbs, plus another 2lbs for the mounting hardware. Looks good though. Also available in stainless steel and aluminum on special order at extra cost. The aluminum version weighs 6lbs (presumably plus the 2lbs of mounting hardware). I don't see any mention of an ABS or other plastic version though.

I'm actually looking at maybe adapting a lower cowling from another bike. If the idea works out, I'll post the details.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Somewhere in my dim memory I recall an ABS belly-pan/skidplate that was made by one of our own. He also made metal skidplates but offered the ABS version as a lightweight alternative.

For the life of me I cant find it now.

Anyone?

BTW that Podia sure looks nice! Does it make oil and filter changes more difficult?
In my own dimness, I seem to recall this might have something to do with products formerly produced by Dan Vesel, but no time to search.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The only Issue I have with the Hyde racing skid plate is that it's just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I'm sure it's functional and the V-strom may not be the prettiest bike in the world, but there's no need to make it look even worse! Looks like a Hockey mask that might be worn by a serial killer.

I'm not sure I like the idea of bolting a plastic shield to the header pipe either. I presume it works OK and doesn't melt the plastic, it just disturbs me a little to mount a plastic item to a pipe that probably runs at 600 degrees F or more. I'm a bit concerned about their statement that "After first installation the guard will conform to the shape of the frame once heating and cooling has occurred insuring a great fit". Sounds like it melts into place!

Maybe it's just the angle they took the picture from. Perhaps it looks better if you aren't laying under the bike...

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only Issue I have with the Hyde racing skid plate is that it's just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I'm sure it's functional and the V-strom may not be the prettiest bike in the world, but there's no need to make it look even worse! Looks like a Hockey mask that might be worn by a serial killer.
So I should stop carrying the chain saw on the bike, then? Or maybe go all in and do a Halloween XVI replica paint job on the skid plate.

Seriously, cheap and easy makes up for some ugliness. Else I'd have never had a date in college (somebody had to say it...).

I'm not sure I like the idea of bolting a plastic shield to the header pipe either. I presume it works OK and doesn't melt the plastic, it just disturbs me a little to mount a plastic item to a pipe that probably runs at 600 degrees F or more. I'm a bit concerned about their statement that "After first installation the guard will conform to the shape of the frame once heating and cooling has occurred insuring a great fit". Sounds like it melts into place!
I really don't like that front mount. If you've got crash bars, you can do something like this:

I originally mocked it up with some 3/4" x 1/8" strip. I could have just left it that way. I just did 450 miles and no problems or heat issues.

Glenn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts