StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have it!

Here is one image, I am sure you might be able to find more images with it in there since it was on the bike for the whole trip.

Saved my ass to when I had an accidental trip into the ditch and the bike was resting in that skid plate. No damage to anything at the bottom of the engine. Flying through the windshield did smash the windshield though :)

http://capricorn.woot.net/~sbdep/gallery/Newfoundland trip Aug 2007/img-2.html
http://capricorn.woot.net/~sbdep/gallery/Newfoundland trip Aug 2007/img-105.html

Installation:
I don't have any close up photos of the install. There is a hose clamp that goes around the front exhaust. It has some heat dampers (paper washers I guess they are heat dampers) and a threaded rod.

The front of the skip plate goes on that with a nut. The right side is bolted on with a bolt at the bottom on the right side. I think it is an axhaust hanger bolt or something.
The left side of the skid plate is mounted to the hole that goes through the bottom of the engine block. It uses a cheap plastic insert and basically a concrete screw to screw into the insert.

The left side hardware could be replaced pretty easily I thik with a threaded rod that goes through and a washer and nut on each end.

The skid plate is in the way for doing oil changes, so I ended up just removing it after my trip and not putting it back on. If I go on another longer trip and expect any significant gravel I will put it back on. I originally planned to the the Trans-Labrador highway, although in the end didn't due to ferry schedules and weather.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much SBDEP. I have bee looking for a low cost light duty skid plate and a basic review of it. i think the dan vessel will be the right one for me. thank you again for your response and pics. it does look very protective compared to the dan vessel

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
If you feel a bit adventurous with some tools, you can make a skidplate like I did - see old thread: self-made skid plate

I have some basic instructions in a Word document as well.

It does require crashbars, although you could probably come up with another way to attach the front if you're creative. This cost me less than $50 (scrap steel plate, stainless bolts/nuts/washers and a can of spray-on bedliner).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't have that one but I have to say I love the amoto skidplate.

You can see it there, sorry I don't have a better picture. :p

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you gentlemen for your responses. i think i may go the way of the dan vessel steel plate. i also have an idea to make a plastic plate out of the uhmw plastic (used for making cutting boards and chain giudes). i made one for my quad years ago and it outlasted all my friends who had steel and aluminum plates

·
Registered
118 Posts
If You Make One...

could you post how if you make one? I keep looking for which skid plate and engine guards I need. I don't do much "off road" but do take long trips and would feel better having some protection down there and engine guards thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts