StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy I am negotiating with tells me that the rear rack is now plastic? I thought it looked like cast ali but he assures me it is not.
Comments?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yup plastic, and there is no way I could care any less. It'll get a full Givi rack anyway. The one on my 11 Kawasaki Concours wasn't much better., and that was a $18000 bike

·
Registered
394 Posts
It does weigh 3lbs less than the standard alloy rack on my 2005 Wee did.
I guess losing weight was a priority for Suzuki.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A somewhat related question, what is the subframe made out of? Hopefully companies will soon make a metal rear rack to replace the OEM factory plastic.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
It does weigh 3lbs less than the standard alloy rack on my 2005 Wee did.
I guess losing weight was a priority for Suzuki.
More like being cheap was a priority for Suzuki.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I hope it is up to the task of supporting my wife. She who falls asleep on the back.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Thanks guys. I hope it is up to the task of supporting my wife. She who falls asleep on the back.
If its weak somebody will come up with a replacement. Frankly it looks fairly sturdy as plastic goes but I don't know that I would want a person putting their weight on it to find out.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Guy I am negotiating with tells me that the rear rack is now plastic? I thought it looked like cast ali but he assures me it is not.
Comments?
The new 650 has a resin rear rack, no problems reported so far.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If its weak somebody will come up with a replacement. Frankly it looks fairly sturdy as plastic goes but I don't know that I would want a person putting their weight on it to find out.
Fortunately I have a willing guinea pig!
Hmmm... Might have to check on the insurance...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes it is plastic and painted. If you should happen to graze the paint you'll find that its black underneath.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I feel that it is quite strong enough. I tried four layers of clear satin acrylic spray on as protection but it hasn't helped much. (Could be because it didn't properly harden up due to our cold northern weather). My next step would be to take it to a shop, blast it and have a couple of coats of black powder applied.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you guys think it will hold up to this load???

The legacy Vs have a much more robust rack system that ties into the subframe with pretty substantial arms. My bike rack is bolted to the stock tail rack platform. If the V2 is not like this then something else will need to be constructed.

Although my bike only weighs 24 lbs there is a lot of cantilever leverage on the rack so it needs to be pretty solid in my opinion. I have several thousand miles on my wee with this set up and no issues, the plastic rack on the V2 does not look promising and could be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do you guys think it will hold up to this load???

The legacy Vs have a much more robust rack system that ties into the subframe with pretty substantial arms. My bike rack is bolted to the stock tail rack platform. If the V2 is not like this then something else will need to be constructed.

Although my bike only weighs 24 lbs there is a lot of cantilever leverage on the rack so it needs to be pretty solid in my opinion. I have several thousand miles on my wee with this set up and no issues, the plastic rack on the V2 does not look promising and could be a deal breaker.
Hey Slug, do you have any other pics of that bike rack setup? I've been wanting to do that for a while, just need to figure out all the details.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Slug, do you have any other pics of that bike rack setup? I've been wanting to do that for a while, just need to figure out all the details.
Hi, mine is made by 2x2 cycles and bolts onto the existing rack. There are many DIY methods all over ADV rider but I took the fastest route which in the end was worth the time saved and money spent.

2×2 Cycles

·
Registered
16 Posts
If anyone is after touch-up paint for the rear rack, Holts "Clean Silver Metallic" code # HCTHY7-C appears to be a good match.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts