StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from my local dealer who said the reason the plastic on my speedo pointer was melting was because I installed an after market shield - Cee Bailey. The pointer on the tach is ok, just the speedo pointer is melting. The service guy told me that the stock wind shields will not reflect the sun and do damage to the bike but "after market shields will reflect the sun in such a way as to melt the plastic on the bike".

Sorry, but this sounds like so much BS. Can this possibly be true?

Seems to me that the DL650 has a defect in material and the dealer is not willing to do the warranty work.

The bike is expected to be ridden in the sun and therore, the owner should reasonably be able to expect that the plastc will not melt if the sun reflects onto a plastic part.

I have had Cee Bailey shields on several other bikes, BMW's, and have had no plastic problems. I live in Southern California where is is very hot and sunny and really don't want to have to worry about the plastic on my 2008 DL650 melting. If this is typical of Suzuki then I'll sell the bike.

Any similar experiences, comments?

http://jack-the-cat.smugmug.com/gall...0907#275109858

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
0 Posts
To hell with your speedometer problem.......

Who is Ashley????:D

Seriously, I think your dealer is full of BS.

Is there another dealer around you can take the bike to???

Remove the Cee shield, install your stock one, then take it in.

That's what I'd do.

Tell Ashley I said hello:drool:

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
:icon_bs:

The fact that it's only one gauge suggests it's not the sun. What, the stock screen is some kinda miracle anti-refracting/reflecting plastic? Please. And your Cee Bailey is even tinted. Like BTD said, take it to another dealer if you can, or go straight to Suzuki with your complaint.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
It's possible that optics are causing the problem, but I suppose you just can't buy a new indicator needle without the whole gauge cluster?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Buy a Givi shield for your bike, VStrom specific shield. It will have a sticker right on the face that warns you not to park the bike so the sun is shining on the back side (driver's side) of the shield. The shield can act as a focusing device that can create a hot spot on the area of the bike right behind the shield.

Sounds like this may be happening with your shield. Does the shield mfr. give any warnings to this effect?

BS? Real? I'm not chancing it, I park front end facing south.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Got my new 06' and had just put my new givi shield on...Was putting armour all on the dash...saw a wisp of smoke...and the dash top melted:cryin:
Only happened that once... i think about it when i park and when i'm riding west in the afternoon's. Definitely a bummer but i've learned not to look at it...
Wonder if tint would keep it from happening?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yes, I've noticed some roasted plastic, mostly the area under and behind the windshield, and maybe one of my gauge faces, too. Yes, it's really my +12" clear Ceebailey windshield that caused it, as near as I can tell.

Funny related anecdote - when I was in university many moons ago, doing a chem lab, I had something similar happen. I was working on the sunny side of the lab - old chem building, actually had windows - with a volumetric flask full of clear liquid and my calculator on the desk. Next thing I know, there's smoke coming from my calculator folder where the flask had focussed the sun on it perfectly.

I still think Suzuki could stand to use somewhat more heat-resistant plastics for these parts.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
To hell with your speedometer problem.......

Who is Ashley????:D...............................................

Tell Ashley I said hello:drool:
Maybe Ashley is getting too close to the speedo?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Thoughts-

How about having the shield painted- you probably don't look through it anyway.

Dark window tinting on the inside surface.

Cover the bike when parked.

Oh, I just thought of a revolutionary new product- the windshield cozy!!! (Not just for toasters and blenders anymore.) Ask someone's granny to knit one for you. Or use a pillow case.

Or, in the future, park front wheel facing the sun. I did this all of last summer, bike parked in the blazing sun from 7:30am-5:00pm. Never a problem with heat damaged plastic.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Givi windshield toasted my plastic dash area too on the cowling body. Took it back to the dealer they told me same thing after market windshield melted my cowling. At first I didn't believe it, then more I thought about it, the more it made sense. The warning sticker on the givi shield which I didn't take seriously, yes I was parking it at work facing North all winter with the low southern sun beating on it all day. Thought it was strange at first I couldn't feel anything getting warm there while riding , but every day when I came out in the afternoon it changed for the worse, couldn't figure out what was going on, who would have thought a windshield would do that, now I'm a believer! I didn't want to drop $150 for a new cowling, so I found one off of ebay for $15 that had been layed down and scuffed on one side but I am going to attempt to separate the piece I need (upper dash area) from the rest of the body it is plastic welded on about 6 tabs, and fuse it to my existing cowling body I can figure out how to separate the pieces with a hot knife, but I have never done any plastic welding before.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a Cee-Bailey in southern Arizona. Never had the problem, but my windshield is usually pretty dirty. Generally I leave my Garmin on the bike when parked and throw the gloves over it. Perhaps this mitigates the problem. I try to park where the sun doesn't shine directly on the GPS . . . the gloves are an added insulator. I hate that Suzuki created the need for after market w/s's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The large, aftermarket shields do indeed act as mirrors and their curvature concentrates the sun's energy to a small point. If the sun hits the shield as if it was coming over your shoulders, it reflects onto the dash and instruments. Park with the bike facing the direction of the sun, or cover it.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I stand corrected, though I'm still a little surprised Suzuki can claim only aftermarket shields will do this. Maybe that's the reason for the upward sweep of the stock windshield.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
.... It will have a sticker right on the face that warns you not to park the bike so the sun is shining on the back side (driver's side) of the shield. The shield can act as a focusing device that can create a hot spot on the area of the bike right behind the shield.
Ahhh, crap. I was going to ask a quetion, like which side is the drivers side of a motorcyle, but I understand your description now. :)

Steve

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ahhh, crap. I was going to ask a quetion, like which side is the drivers side of a motorcyle, but I understand your description now. :)

Steve
Happy to help. (I was gonna post a smiley face along with this, but I couldn't decide which of the million of them to choose from.)

·
Registered
780 Posts
It's possible that the OEM shield has a UV coating on it to protect the plastics or maybe the shape of it may prevent this from happening. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I haven't had weather warm enough for melting, but you might want to check out a pat walsh radar shelf. I put one on my strom, and it shields the gauges a bit.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I had that happen on my ST1300. Had a Cee Bailey shield on it. Took it to my dealer who installed a new dash cover under warranty. I was careful after that. My '07 Wee got melted on top of the dash. Looks unattractive, so I covered it with a piece of velcro. Makes it look like I use it to mount something there! On the ST-Riders forum they refer to it as "dash branding." The only solution to avoid dash branding is to be careful how you park or to use a windshield cover.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I haven't had weather warm enough for melting, but you might want to check out a pat walsh radar shelf. I put one on my strom, and it shields the gauges a bit.
It doesn't have to be warm, mine happened in December after I switched over to the Givi shield for better wind protection from the cold weather. It was happening on days with lows around 30F and highs around 50F or so. Now I have the OEM back on for summer, but I be sure and park it facing south with the Givi on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts