StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
14 tooth

yes i gotta get one of them 14 tooth sprockets from holeshot , as for they belly pan its kinda foofy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
that is a bit foofy...definitely a appearance based product rather than a useful one. It looks as if it would protect the filter from an occasional rock thrown from the road but that would be about all. Same for the chain guard/fender thing made by the same manufacturer. I think if any offroading were to be done, they would be the first thing to go crack. On road the style would be up to you. J.R.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Since I don't plan on doing much off roading, I've been looking for a reasonably priced plastic belly pan. I like the look of both....foofy or not, for the road it would do the trick.

Thanks for the post, you've helped me out!!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
You can protect the filter

... without spending a nickel!

When tmcgee (in New England forum) reported his oil filter got pierced in an attack by 85 crazed terrorists ... I mean by a piece of metal on the road, I started thinking. When I woke up, it occurred to me that a tin can would strengthen my oil filter a lot, like 100%. So I stuck a magnet to the front of the filter, cut a soup can to length, stuck it on, and I feel a tad safer.

The can has stuck with me through six provinces and nine states, and neither it nor the oil filter has suffered any damaged. Moreover, when I throw it out, my oil filter looks cleaner than yours.

So there.
Keith

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chalk up one for the inventive mechanic!

Geez Keith,

Onya! You sure you're not an Aussie? There's not too much in life you can't repair with baling wire, araldite and duct tape, eh? I just love everyday "agricultural" type fixes.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm still undecided. i really like the dan vessel abs skid plate, theh hyde racing plate, but the holeshot model looks nice too. as far as prices

200.00 for hole shot
dan vessel metal or plastic 110.00
hyde racing 125.00

i only do street riding with my dl650, so i'm looking for some light protection.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I like the can I dea for aethetics alone.

I'll leave the paper label on, when the label finally falls off - time to eat more beans.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If plastic is okay

Here is what I made for my oil filter.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1983

Riden a hundred miles or so and it seems perfect. Had it off and no signs of melting. Not trying to one up you Keith but I kind of did use your soup can idea as my start.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i ordered a dan vessel steel skid plate. I also have the msy88 oil filter protector. i had plans to order the hyde racing plate, but they are out for 4 plus weeks. i think th edan vessel setup will be easier to work with when it comes to oil changes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rec'd my Dan Vessel skid plate yesterday. I could smell the fresh paint through the box. I'm very impressed with fit an finish. I dry fitted everything and looks like the install will be easy. I want to bring the bike to my local dealer for the 600 mile service before putting it on so they can do an oil change. I plan on making a catch pan between the drain plug and the skid plate so I won't have to remove it for oil changes. same for the oil filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts