StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change from red to desert tan.

I need to order the tall seat anyway so I'll get it in tan.

The tank is $900 and beak is $190. So I am think of plasti dipping my red parts in tan. Then clearcoating them with clear gloss plastidip.

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I haven't done that, but you may want to ask around and see if anyone would trade parts with you. I know it's a long shot, but I would have considered it right after I got my Khaki. I wanted the red but it was significantly more $$. Now I have matching rim stripes and tank grips, and the color has grown on me, so not looking to change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try some of the new spray paints that are similar to the plastidip. Duplicolor custom wrap is a paint similar to the plastidip. Specifically designed to behave more like a vehicle wrap and supposedly easier to remove as it will come off in big sheets. So I understand. I have not used the Duplicolor product so I can only speak to what I have seen on the car shows on TV and what one friend showed me in pics about the stuff.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
I used Rust-o-leum for the desert tan, Barstow Beige. Not all of us that use the rattle can are worried about a factory looking paint job.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I Plasti dipped my V2 when I got it to stop me scratching the tank.

I used some flat black that I had leftover from another project, it has held up well but the surface has a texture to it that some may not like.

On the other project I put a coat of normal clear over the Plasti Dip, it smoothed out the surface, it gave the Plasti Dip some depth and a gloss, the PD can still be removed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm about to engage in the same sort of project.

I've got my bike running well, so i'm looking at changing my silver '03 to a silver and yellow '03 by plastidipping the silver parts of the front fairings and the rear fairings yellow.

I got all my stuff at DipYourCar, they sell aerosol cans of a wide range of colors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let us know how it goes and poSt up some photos when you're done. I've used plasti dip for trim pieces and the like in the past. Have been thinking about going flat white

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where are you from? I have tan and would prefer red.
Quick google search suggests Tellico Plains, TN.

Also - to those who have dip'd their bikes - did you do anything with the fuel tank? If so - have you had any issues with fuel ruining the finish?

I like the idea of normal clear over the plastidip - especially if you can still peel it off. I feel the clear would protect the dip from petrol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My experience with clear over Plasti dip has not been good. It was very difficult to remove. I don't have enough posts to show the link but see Myths about Plasti Dip (Vol 1) on You Tube

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have used plasti-dip on several parts on my bike and it has held up well for going on 4 years. I haven't done a tank but I did do some tank panels that every so often do get a drop of gas on them and they have held up great. I wipe the fuel off immediately after filling. I will say that after 4 years, some places around bolt mounting points is starting to peel away a bit. I'm fine with it but some people i'm sure would want to reapply. I did not use clear coat. There really is no harm in giving it a try. Peel off if it sucks for you and shebang original paint is there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a high dollar helmet very cheap because it was pink....lol. I plastidipped it black. It was nice for a while but now it's just black with pink blotches everywhere...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts