StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip from KY to CA next month on my 06 Wee. I have always wanted to make the trip and my son is getting married there so now is my excuse to go. I want to stop and see a friend in Phoenix also. Everyone says I'm nuts but I don't think so. Outside of being a little cool, does anyone have any words of advice? I would actually like to camp on the way also.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
All I can suggest is to stay off the interstate. I haven't been on those two lane western roads for damn near 40 years, but hope to get there again next year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can suggest is to stay off the interstate. I haven't been on those two lane western roads for damn near 40 years, but hope to get there again next year.
My former neighbor in Ohio is older than I am (I'm 55) and he rides to the coast on state routes on his KLR! I can do this but will probably ride the 4 lanes in the interest of time.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My former neighbor in Ohio is older than I am (I'm 55) and he rides to the coast on state routes on his KLR! I can do this but will probably ride the 4 lanes in the interest of time.
In the western states, there is little distance in travel time between the two types of roads, but the stress/boredom is another story!

I was in Vermont last week (on four wheels) and the highway was getting to me. I got off to get gas and decided to follow the river road for awhile. Problem solved. :thumb up: ...but I still wish I had the bike.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Nothing more fun than a road trip, I avoid freeways too, but with that distance involved, for time I'd understand. You looking at I 40 ? What part of California are you ending up in ? Remember elevation, our snow level here in So. Oregon can drop to 2500 feet this time of year, 1500 foot elevation on the valley floor, but a 4100 foot pass on I5 30 miles south of town.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing more fun than a road trip, I avoid freeways too, but with that distance involved, for time I'd understand. You looking at I 40 ? What part of California are you ending up in ? Remember elevation, our snow level here in So. Oregon can drop to 2500 feet this time of year, 1500 foot elevation on the valley floor, but a 4100 foot pass on I5 30 miles south of town.
Yes will take 40 most of the way. Good idea on the mountains. Wish it was a July trip but who thinks about motorcyclists when making plans? No one!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try a detour through Death Valley National Park.
That would be an easy detour. What route through there do you recommend?

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
If you go to Phoenix on the way you can take off 40 in New Mexico at Santa Rosa and take 54 to 60 and mosey along the the big open country. The BIG radio telescope is out in the Plains of Agustin, interesting. Pie in Pie Town.
Maybe you need a big Rand Mcnally to give you a better perspective.
If you haven't done 40 before, any new road can be interesting just for being new.
Flagstaff will be the high point of the interstate...7000 feet. By heading south on 54 you will avoid the continental divide and the Spring snow possibilities.
Just check the weather forecasts and get that map!

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Yes will take 40 most of the way. Good idea on the mountains. Wish it was a July trip but who thinks about motorcyclists when making plans? No one!
I am planning a trip to CA in July. heh.

I'm going down the coast from Vancouver. Heading East a bit after CA. Points on my trip include

Washington/Oregon/California coast highway (101)
Redwood forest
Golden Gate Bridge
Reno
Vegas
Death Valley
Grand Canyon
Albequerque
Colorado (Echo Lake Park)
Moab Arches Nat Park
Grand Tetons
Yellowstone (Newton B Drury Scenic parkway)
NE exit from Yellowstone (Beartooth pass)
Heading home through the Rockies

Maybe you can add a few of these points into your trip?

Make some use of the HD Ride Planner website. It's great fun.

Ride Planner | Harley-Davidson USA

Get yourself a set of snow chains, then you can make it through any pass, snowed or not.

MV Snow Claws Set and for Xtrem Driver - Snow Chains for Motorcycles - Set with 5 Pieces - MV Motorrad Technik GmbH - hochwertiges Sonderzubehoer fuer Motorraeder

It's going to be a great trip. Enjoy. Dress warm and be prepared for lots of rain.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you have the time, Route-66 is a great way to head west. Tons of info available. PM me if you would like my personal take on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, and there has been a lot of great advice.

I would aim south of the Mogollan rim as you get close to Arizona. Beautiful country through there, but avoiding snow is good. While you are in Phoenix check out the roads into the Payson/ Sonora area. Incredible country if the weather is cooperating.

Good luck, I wish I was able to make a similar trip right now.

Enjoy your ride.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
That would be an easy detour. What route through there do you recommend?
Well if you're on I40, leave I40 when you get to Mojave National Preserve and head for Kelso (in the Preserve), to Baker, SR127 to Shoeshone, SR178 through Badwater to SR190 through Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells and continue west through the park. Mountain passes through the Sierra Nevada will be closed for winter so south on 395 to get back to your general route. Anyway that will give you a taste of what's there. I often soak in the hotsprings in Tecopa.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
to whereabouts in CA

to whereabouts in CA are you going

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree about Death Valley, its great. Also, if you have the time, southern ut is awesome that time of year. But, its like death valley. there are mountain near and you may have to really map out the mountain passes and such.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Definitely plan on entering CA to the south. Highway 50 and I-80 cross the mountains at ~7500ft if I remember correctly. Looks like if you take I-40, the elevation won't be too high.

Same deal across the rockies. Stay south.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 40 Posts