StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been riding m/c s for a long time. Owned many types. My question is there any advantage buying a 2019 650 V-Strom over a new in stock 2018 ? Bells/ whistles, upgrades, I do my own maint. And repairs. I won’t be crossing the county. I will need to make several 200 mile trips per yr. , ( interstate some, state roads) and general exploration mostly paved back roads when possible. Being old, now longer need big heavy bike(s) or 1000cc, so looks like one of the DL650s would be ideal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It the 2019 and 2018 are like for like, no accessories then go with the 18 assuming it's cheaper as there are no fundamental differences between the 2.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
From what I've read, there are no new innovations to steer towards a '19 vs. a very nice price of a left-over. Save the money for the inevitable custom additions we all add to make it fit just right.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My question is there any advantage buying a 2019 650 V-Strom over a new in stock 2018 ?
There is definitely one improvement on the '19 and maybe a second more significant one.

• North American models get hazard lights ('17 & '18 models don't have them)
  • Suzuki says "Using SV650 engineering, the V-Strom 650’s DOHC, liquid-cooled engine has been tuned to deliver clean, strong power at any rpm." The '17 & '18 models have slightly jumpy throttles at on/off. I'm hoping this statement means the '19 has been smoothed out with a new fuel map. This may be a reach, but my fingers are crossed.
Don't hesitate to buy a '17 or '18, though. Fantastic bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The '19 Touring Edition will have its own distinct colour (maroon), luggage and accessory shelf. Grip heaters are optional.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I just bought a new 2017 with 5 year warranty. Seems very smooth.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
There is definitely one improvement on the '19 and maybe a second more significant one.

• North American models get hazard lights ('17 & '18 models don't have them)
  • Suzuki says "Using SV650 engineering, the V-Strom 650’s DOHC, liquid-cooled engine has been tuned to deliver clean, strong power at any rpm." The '17 & '18 models have slightly jumpy throttles at on/off. I'm hoping this statement means the '19 has been smoothed out with a new fuel map. This may be a reach, but my fingers are crossed.
Don't hesitate to buy a '17 or '18, though. Fantastic bikes.

My 2014 has hazard lights. Did they leave them off for 2 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
My 2014 has hazard lights. Did they leave them off for 2 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My '05 had the "hazard" (4 way flashers) but my '17 does not have them.

Also, my '17 is super smooth and no jerkiness in the throttle. I don't know how it could be improved.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine can slightly lurch when rolling on throttle from off in turns. Others have commented on the same. I wouldn't let it deter me from buying one. I rarely notice it now.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
no throttle issues with my L8.....Why the 17 & 18's don't have hazard lights is a real head scratcher...???
Agreed, wonder if the wiring is there? Anyone have a photo of the hazard switch?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as I read the 2019 models have new color schemes. As per the gazard lights, do you mean the 4 blinkers on/off at the same time (triangle signal button)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hazard lights depend on the market, mine has them (Belgium). It came with an immobilizer too. I believe neither of these are on US bikes

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm back to looking for a light touring, wandering duty bike. I love my Yamaha T-Max 530 scoot, but as retirement approaches (or as I run desperately towards it), I decided I want a regular bike too. There are some good deals on new in stock 2017's, both the regular and XT models. I'm leaning towards the regular bike, and then of course, getting a bigger screen, centre stand, engine guard (if only to keep things cleaner) and a mounting plate for a top box.

There are some 2014's around that are tempting as well. And, I have to admit, the new BMW F750GS is also very, very appealing.

I rode a 2017 last year. Loved the gearbox / shifter, and did not notice any throttle issues. I wouldn't mind hazard lights/ 4 way flashers, as some say. Doubt I'd go XT as I think my off road time will be limited and mild.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I rode a 2017 last year. Loved the gearbox / shifter, and did not notice any throttle issues. I wouldn't mind hazard lights/ 4 way flashers, as some say. Doubt I'd go XT as I think my off road time will be limited and mild.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm selling my Yamaha SuperTenere and getting a smaller, lighter bike. The small difference in price between the regular 650 and XT is worth it, as you'll get that money back when you sell it or trade it in. In the used market, people who don't care about the wheels, will consider buying either model, but people who want the stronger tubeless spoked wheels will not buy the one with cast wheels. Having spoked wheels opens up your market. Also, in this price range, having tubeless spoked wheels is a rarity. Btw, these are the same wheels used on the Triumph Explorer 1200 and Yamaha SuperTenere 1200.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts