StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone,
so i've decided to hit the road hopefully next Friday for my first long trip on my '04 Wee (and my first long trip on a motorcycle). gonna be leaving from Halifax, Nova Scotia heading to Boston, MA. its gonna be around 1100 km (680 miles) each way so thats a total of around 20-22 hours of riding back and forth.

i'd like to know what to check before the trip, what to bring, and what not! :fineprint:
my Wee is pretty much bone stock,except for added:
-Richland's fork brace
-Givi crash bars
-Givi E260NA top case
-Oxford soft saddlebags (gonna pick them this afternoon)

I have the stock windscreen, but i removed it to get some fresh air on those hot days in my daily commute to work, gonna put bag for the trip
my tires are perfect (2000-3000km on them), i've just changed oil+filter a week ago, chain and brakes are pretty new
now, i have a small list of what i think i need to bring with me or to do, but i'm looking for some input/feedback from those who've hit the road for long trips plenty of times:
-original toolkit + some other sit of wrenches and tools i have + multimeter
-extra bottle of engine oil + chain lube and cleaner
-air pressure gauge + air pump + battery charger
-2 pair of gloves + extra helmet + extra pair of mirrors and levers
-GPS + cellphone charger + lights + First Aid kit
-First aid kit
-Extra set of keys
-Small backup flashlight
-Tire repair kit (for temp use)

·
Registered
87 Posts
First aid kit
Extra set of keys
Small backup flashlight
Tire repair kit (for temp use)
Got rain covers for those bags? I always put my have to "have dry" clothes in a compactor trash bag before they go into a side case or bag.
If your camping the list grows.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First aid kit
Extra set of keys
Small backup flashlight
Tire repair kit (for temp use)
Got rain covers for those bags? I always put my have to "have dry" clothes in a compactor trash bag before they go into a side case or bag.
If your camping the list grows.
Thanks for pointing these outs
these saddlebags do have rain covers :thumbup:
and no, not gonna be camping, just visiting the city for 2-4 days

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
toll booths

The toll booths will drive you crazy unless you have a very handy container for change, or get a transponder.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The search function, both here and using Google, is your friend. Also, judging from the few things you listed, it sounds like you are riding off-road rather than on-road. I don't think you are, but even if you were, why do you need an extra helmet? :confused:

Quite honestly, especially if you are staying at hotels, dispense with all the repair stuff except for maybe items needed to change a tire (you DO know how to do that yourself, correct?) and add roadside assistance to your insurance policy or join AAA. Then pack like you would if you were going by car--though keep it simple--and go. It's pretty simple really.

If you are wanting to plan for absolutely every contingency, then hire a motorcycle mechanic to drive behind you in a support van. :yesnod: The fact is that your bike is very reliable. Even if it has an issue, the fix is likely no more complicated than making a call to the right person.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The toll booths will drive you crazy unless you have a very handy container for change, or get a transponder.
Traveled from Canada to the states couple of times before on a car (from Nova Scotia to Michigan and NY) and the total toll from Maine to Michigan was $20+ :jawdrop: unlike going all the way thru Canada and only Paying $3 :thumbup:
Thanks for the heads up and should keep that in mind, though im not sure if i can get a US highways transponder or where to get one ?:confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The search function, both here and using Google, is your friend. Also, judging from the few things you listed, it sounds like you are riding off-road rather than on-road. I don't think you are, but even if you were, why do you need an extra helmet? :confused:

Quite honestly, especially if you are staying at hotels, dispense with all the repair stuff except for maybe items needed to change a tire (you DO know how to do that yourself, correct?) and add roadside assistance to your insurance policy or join AAA. Then pack like you would if you were going by car--though keep it simple--and go. It's pretty simple really.

If you are wanting to plan for absolutely every contingency, then hire a motorcycle mechanic to drive behind you in a support van. :yesnod: The fact is that your bike is very reliable. Even if it has an issue, the fix is likely no more complicated than making a call to the right person.
i'm definitely hiring a motorcycle mechanic to drive behind me in a support van :green_lol:
actually i'm not planning on doing any off-road riding (unless i have to), rather gonna be mostly using highways.
second helmet was first suggestions a friend suggested on me, though im not sure why either :confused: unfortunately i dont know how to change a tire either :confused:
and i'm planning on joining CAA (Canadian version of AAA but not sure if it covers me in the states)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Then join the CAA and AAA. A quick call to them will end any question you have though.

As for your friend suggesting two helmets, I think he has got to be joking. Well, either that or he knows nothing at all about what you should take. That's almost as bad as taking multiples of the same jacket, but of different colors, just to color coordinate with the five pairs of differently colored motorcycle boots you take that you will need to cover every mood.

·
Registered
22,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
A can of lemon pledge to keep your screen and visor clean from any bugs. Do not clean using paper towels from gas stations. Bring some microfibre cloths. These are cheap at Costco.

Not sure about back East, but here in the West when i travel down South all the gas stations want my zip code. I use the numbers from my postal code and put 00 on the end, that is my zip. It works every time.

Keep your passport in your jacket sleeve, or someplace handy when you get to the border.

Be sure you have Medical coverage in the US. You can lose everything from a simple wipe out down there if your not covered.

Add an ICE entry to your phone.

You will want to lube your chain every couple of gas fill ups or if you go through any rain. Check tire pressure when COLD.

Don't forget the rain gear. You never know.

Remember it's not a race. Get there safely and enjoy the trip.

Oh and you may want to look at buying a seat cushion or some beads if that is a stock seat. They get really uncomfortable after a while for most people.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks for pointing these outs
these saddlebags do have rain covers :thumbup:
and no, not gonna be camping, just visiting the city for 2-4 days
Even though you're not camping go over to wal mart or canadian tire or something and get yourself a few small roll top dry bags. Put your clothes and any must be dry stuff in them. Like my Uncle Ken used to say. "There's nothing worse than soggy shorts in the morning." Just because you're not camping doesn't mean you won't get rained on while you're riding.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that those rain covers probably won't really keep water out. I've had soft bags with rain covers and I used them once, found out how worthless they are and went to the small dry bags inside method. This also makes it easy to keep things organized and easy at hotels and campgrounds where you can grab out the dry bags with the stuff you need and leave everything else on the bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, I use compactor trash bags to keep clothing dry, much thicker than regular trash bags and cheaper than dry bags (an old boy scout trick).

Don't forget stuff can be bought if lost. I rarely carry common items if I can procure them easily.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Since your traveling into the States here's what I'd carry/do.

Have your cell phone fully charged.
Carry contact #'s (Dr., mechanic, spouse, any important #)
Go over your bike. Check tire pressure, chain, lights, any leaks?, change/check oil. Maybe change filter? Is everything tight?
Rain gear
Change of cloths (extra shirt, pants, socks, underwear, road gear.)
Passport
Spare money
Map
Soft wipes to clean windshield and helmet
Chain lube
Check the weather
It may be a good idea to have a list of Suzuki dealers along your route.
Camera

Have a good time. Sounds like a really nice route your taking.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THANKS everybody for the helpful tips, i got couple more questions:
1/ can u use Nexus lane on the borders on a motorcycle (i have nexus card)?
2/ my Wee is canadian model and it only have Km/hr on the speedo (no mph) could that get me in any troubles (at the borders or if i got stopped for any reason)?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't think you'll need the extra mirrors. Not many riders would change a tyre - your tyres are tubeless; just carry those puncture plugs and kit that they come with. You already have your pump.
Your chain shouldn't stretch, unless it's fairly new. Go over the method to check and adjust chain tension. I carry a 'motion-pro' device to check chain alignment. Relax & enjoy - don't hurry :)
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
529 Posts
I set my GPS to avoid main highways . Droning on the freeway for hours kills the mind , the ass , and the tires .
Set up a roaming plan on your phone before you go . Some sort of crisis always arises at home once I'm 700 kilometers from home , I get 12 frantic phone calls I can't ignore , before I get back on the bike and increase the distance .
Carry half the stuff- really : one change of clothes , rain gear , a phone , credit cards , and passport .
Have fun ! Twisty back roads , little towns , small Mom-and-Pop restaurants... Wait - I'm coming too !

Alex

·
Registered
114 Posts
680 Miles one-way - I'd just bring chain lube.. LOL

Sounds like you already have everything you need. You could simmer on the idea for months and pack your bike with so much junk that you never use any of it.. engine oil? Does your bike use oil? If not, leave it at home.

The air compressor and plugs are a good idea, I'd put the shield back on.

Pack your clothes and toiletries and you're ready.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
it's a weestrom. just add gas and go.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts