StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,
As a new (and proud) owner of a K5 Wee I am planning a road trip for this summer.
Living in Quebec city Canada I would like to do something like 1000-1500 miles spread over 3-4 days. I was thinking Vermont, Rhode Island, Mass or New York so I can visit my cousin (mass).
What is the "must see" or "must drive on" road or circuit ?
We also like to hike mountains so we would be pleased to be able to do both.
Thanks a lot !

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Anywhere in VT, northern and southwestern NH, western and Downeast Maine. Catskills and Adirondacks in NY.

Southern New England has its moments, but stay away from the cities.
Check out Best of New England: http://board.mcnews.com/Topic41197-7-1.aspx

·
Registered
126 Posts
New Brunswick....Confederation Bridge...Prince Edward Island...Pictou Ferry.... Nova Scotia! Give me a call when you hit Halifax and I'll give you a tour!

I know, it's not what you asked about! :eek:)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Hi folks,
As a new (and proud) owner of a K5 Wee I am planning a road trip for this summer.
Living in Quebec city Canada I would like to do something like 1000-1500 miles spread over 3-4 days. I was thinking Vermont, Rhode Island, Mass or New York so I can visit my cousin (mass).
What is the "must see" or "must drive on" road or circuit ?
We also like to hike mountains so we would be pleased to be able to do both.
Thanks a lot !
You may get better, and more "filtered" responses if you ask a moderator to move this thread to the, New England section of the forum.

B.L.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I was thinking Vermont, Rhode Island, Mass or New York so I can visit my cousin (mass).
You forgot Nova Scotia/Cape Breton. For the unspoiled coasts, winding roads, lack of traffic. Though the places you mentioned are nice too.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
In New ENgland as you requested there are a plethera of places to do and see.

How long do you have.

Connecticut and Rhode Island don;t have much unless the real Ocean beach in Rhode Island. Flesh this out for us

Shameless plug for my New Hampshire Strom Adventure of August 3 to 5

Roads to string together
Tracy Road near the top of Lake George NY
Rt 17 the Appalacian Gap in Vermont.. I have a gap route on HD ride planner.
Famous Mount Washington and Kangamous Highway in New Hampshire
Rt 116 to N Ashfield in mass also rt 8a and Zoar Road rt 2 if early
western mountains of Maine near rangeley lake

sounds un motorcycle but if you haven't ever been to New York City it will blow your mind

On an on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cape Cod has it's moments (6A and the lower Cape are pretty fun :thumbup:) and although a bit pricey due to the ferry trip, the Vineyard has some fun roads, not a lot of mileage though. :headbang: Just got to watch out for tourist season, July and August mostly, traffic can be a real pain.

John on the Vineyard

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Cape Cod has it's moments (6A and the lower Cape are pretty fun :thumbup:) and although a bit pricey due to the ferry trip, the Vineyard has some fun roads, not a lot of mileage though. :headbang: Just got to watch out for tourist season, July and August mostly, traffic can be a real pain.

John on the Vineyard
Does the Shenandoah still make its berth on the Vineyard?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody for suggestions. I will keep the Nova-scotia option in the back pocket in case the weather forces me to go to plan B.
@cemoto: cousin lives near Northampton...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Well then look at the Green River Road from rt 9 in VT down to Greenville, Ma

Then hit 116 from East to West up hill, then go back down

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rt 116 to N Ashfield in mass also rt 8a and Zoar Road rt 2 if early
This road (rt116) will be right outside Northampton (NW) and is one of my favorites.

I'm 45 min. east of Northampton.

Highways here are real busy, always try to take the backroads.

If you come down from VT stop at Equinox MT and pay the $10. to the nuns to take the scenic road to the top of the mountain (if open) (see pic)

Enjoy.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
Phonecia NY, if you get time stop their. Its a beautiful little town surrounded by rolling hills and rivers. I belive it qualifies as being in the catskills as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
ndery, do you have a GPS or are you laying it out via map?
Camping, or staying in hotels?

·
Registered
664 Posts
There is riding up through the Adirondacks that's really beautiful, and you can go from there across Champlain, into VT and NH through to Maine.

Happy to give more specifics if you find yourself heading in that direction.

·
Registered
35 Posts
#1 must do: Lobster rolls in the Boston area.
#2 must do: Adirondack Museum, central NY, good for half a day. The roads thereabouts are very tasty.
#3 must do: the NY wine country, especially Lucas Winery in Interlaken. They ship cheap.
+1 also to the Green River VT rides.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Come to NS and get "fresh" lobster for $5.00 a Lb. I'll even let you use my lobster pot to cook them in... if you bring one (or two) for me! I'll supply the butter! LOL!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
If you make it June 5 till the 9th, you'll be glad you did. Americade in Lake George will be occurring.
Riding anywhere from Lake George, east to Laconia is amazing. The Adirondacks, Green Mts., and the White Mts. can't be beat, lessen you head west and hit the Rockies.
All the suggestions that have already been mentioned are excellent.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts