StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow strommers. Planning a 4 day trip based out of stowe, VT from 17-20 June and wondering if anyone has any "don't miss" roads in the area. It will be myself on my V, My uncle on his tiger 1050 and my cousin on his BMW something-or-other-not-a-GS, so offroad will be limited (damned cousins), but I've been told there are some great rides up that way. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is not a bad road in VT. Though I haven't been there yet, I'm told that you want to go to Smuggles notch....It's not far from Stowe. Other than that Rt 100, Rt 7 and everything in between is as good riding as you'll get anywhere, just watch for moose..I spend a lot of time in VT, love it there..............TD

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Vermont

One of the first things you will notice is that there are no commercial signs allowed along the road sides in VT. The beauty and scenery isn't obscured and the quaintness of the small towns isn't ruined by commercial signage. Be sure to have a good camera.
Do some google searching and plan a route to ride over as many covered bridges as you can and don't miss the Kangamangus.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you get out of Vermont without hitting dirt, I'll be amazed.

One goal, do all four Gap roads, AppGap, etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
+2 on the Gap Roads, Rt 17 and 125 are fun roads.

Since you have 4 days, a trip across 302 and 112 to ride the Kancamagus Highway and Bear Notch Road in NH would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Contact bigman73

see if he still has or a link to the

the first Northeast Vstrom Adventure of 2011 it is a gpx file

where you would hit EVERY gap done by tyre

Our states are small so New Hampshire should be part of your planning. I am a pavement fan of what is known as the Northeast Kingdom which is the land north of Montpelier to the Canada border. Good roads and I have fond memories of triple digit cruising

Lastly you cold bloods It would still be possible for it to be in the 30's in the morning

·
Registered
91 Posts
Smugglers Notch for sure.

RT 100 especially through Grainville Gulf

RT 125 and 73

As trapperdick said there really isn't a bad road in VT.

Have fun it's a beautiful place to ride!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vermont Trip Suggestions

Green Mountain Shooter here. Home base is in Waitsfield on scenic Route 100. There is MAJOR road construction going on between the Granville Gulf and the town of Waitsfield on Rt 100 this summer. roadway is stripped down to bare earth and being widened and repaved. As others have mentioned it's hard to not have to ride on any dirt roads, but they are so packed down that they are as good as the paved roads. Some of the best rides are on the dirt roads that travel East/West across the mountains. Roxbury Gap (dirt) Rochester Mountain Rd. (paved), Hazen's Notch (dirt) are great ways to link up the State Roads that run North/South. Be sure to go online and check out Vermont 511 Online Map - ESRI's JavaScript API for the most current road work conditions. There is a lot of road work going in this summer. Suggestions are the gaps of course, U.S. highway 5 that follows the Connecticut River on the Eastern border with NH. Also check out anywhere North and East of Interstate 91, what is loosely referred to as the Northeast Kingdom. Lake Willoughby area is beautiful as is the area around Island Pond. Groton State Forest is a nice ride, U.S. 302 East of Barre has been recently paved and gives good access to many paved State roads. As others have stated, it's hard to find a road that is not an outstanding ride in VT. If you are camping and will be around Central VT send me a PM and I can provide some great no charge camping areas.

Ride safe,

GMS

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
my wife and I did a few weeks last july in that area. we camped between stowe and smugglers notch. we rode north through smugglers notch trying to hit little back roads. they were to filled with pot holes and broke up pavement that we carefully turned around and back tracked (trying to get to Canada). but the busy roads were good! scenery, curves, food...very good area to ride!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Green Mountain Shooter here. Home base is in Waitsfield on scenic Route 100. There is MAJOR road construction going on between the Granville Gulf and the town of Waitsfield on Rt 100...GMS
Thanks for the 'heads up', GMS! AND the link to VT road construction in-progress. I might have an opportunity to stay at a friend-of-a-friend's second home in Londonderry and am looking forward to exploring parts of Route 100 and ridge roads through the Green Mountain Nat'l. Forest.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. We've worked up some pretty good rotes based on your input. I'll be heading out next week and shoud have some great pics when I get back. Its nice to have a resource like this to help you plan trips ina new area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update on July 5, 2013

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are getting hammered up here with flash flooding. The evening of July 3rd Route 100 from Granville to Warren was washed out but has been repaired. These are becoming a weekly occurrence and the State is working hard to keep the numerous roads open so be sure to check Vermont 511 Online Map - ESRI's JavaScript API for the current road conditions.

Ride safe,

GMS

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Just so you don't get scared off riding all the Gaps. Even though RT 100 is torn up every bad part can be avoided just by riding over the various Gaps. The storms have been a problem but coming here on the 17th you are very likely to get the very best weather of this entire summer.:)

If you have any specific questions on the area I'll be surfing around the site today for a few minutes. Feel free to ask.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Route 100 Roadwork Update

The construction on Rt 100 from the Granville Gulf North to Waitsfield is almost complete. Most of the highway has been repaved. Check the 511VT.com website for current updates.

GMS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts