StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my scorpions after 20 000kms. The rear was just about down to the wear idicators and the front had plenty of depth left but was looking out of shape, feathering etc.

HOWEVER when I looked closely at the front I noticed that there were long splits in the tread grooves. At first I thought it might be just in a couple of places but it was actually practically every groove. Has anybody else had this happen?

They did grip well on the bitumen and when run at 25psi on dirt were OK. I have replaced them with Metzeler Karoos for a ride to Cooktown up the Bloomfield track and a couple more rides around here that are marked down as 4WD on the tourist maps. I'll try to stop long enough to get some pictures.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Interesting - - -

I just had a Pirelli Scorpion fitted to the rear, the front was not quite ready for replacement. I find the Scorpion pretty good on the black stuff. Not too bad on the gravel. But.. I think I would prefer to have my Tourance back, but there were none available at the time. I will fitt a Scorpion on the front in a week or so, so that they match.

Thanks for the tip off - I will keep an eye on that as they wear.

Trevor

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I can confirm Pirelli Scorpion "grip" well on dirt compare to anakee/Trail Attacks/ Trail wings - seem to be less floaty

I am not so sure the way they handle with my suspension setup - seem to be a bit more reluctant to turn compare to Trail Attacks i had before. I am not sure their ultimate grip level on tar, because i just didnt quite get the same feel as i did with TA, so never pushed too far. But no problems as far as the grip is concerned on tarmac.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I'm impressed with the 20,000k's. With me riding the front is shot @ ~12,000 with maybe another 3,000k's left on the rear.

Same problems with cracking towards end of life on my first set, no problem with the second - nothing fell off though and they still worked O.K.

I'm on my third set, for me at least the best grip and handling on seal of any of the tires I've used, and by far the best of the 90/10 tires off road. No TKC-80, but at least enough grip to steer decently on dirt roads.

Pete

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just fitted a scorpion front (have an Anakee 2 on the rear). First ride with it on took in gravel, clay, mud and wet tarmac. I'm still new to this adventure riding thing but pretty happy with the feel and didn't come off the bike - 3 other guys did on the slippery clay.

What I was most concerned about when buying an adventure bike was the tyre performance in the wet. I have to say I was really impressed with the tyre's performance on wet roads - I had a blast chasing a 1200GS...

Might clean the bike tomorrow...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts