StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a run this morning on a leather fringed, doo ragged biker in the North bound lanes of I 65 this morning. Not quite sure how he lost it but he crashed hard on the pavement on a curve heading just north out of down town(Indianapolis). He was lying face down with minor road rash on his back but his face took the brunt of the impact. Broken jaw, lacerated lips, many teeth gone or stuck in in his nose, all kinds of rash, and streams of blood running down the slope of the road. Brother would have been fine if he were wearing a helmet. His girlfriend following behind in a car saw the whole thing unfold. I feel sorry for her but not so much for him. I wonder if he'll wear a helmet next time.:confused:

Stay safe out there folks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Broken jaw, lacerated lips, many teeth gone or stuck in in his nose, all kinds of rash, and streams of blood running down the slope of the road. Brother would have been fine if he were wearing a helmet.
Make that a full face helmet. The majority of helmet impacts take it on the chin.

S

·
0 Posts
I've heard more than one bare-headed rider say something like, "why wear a helmet? If you crash, you're gonna die anyway."

This one is why... assuming the worst of his injuries are rash and smashed up face. Could've just screwed up a helmet - now he's got a long rode of pain in front of him, and probably a lifetime of disfigurement. Not worth it to feel the wind in what little hair I have left, IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's a great graphic Greywolf. Never saw that before but I'll be showing it to a few friends still using half helmets.
Clyde

·
Registered
121 Posts
+1 on full face helmets. Way too much damage can, and does, happen with open face helmets. No helmet? What can one say...?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or...

I've heard more than one bare-headed rider say something like, "why wear a helmet? If you crash, you're gonna die anyway."

I had a friend who's reply to that thinking was along the lines of "...you might find out you suck at being dead and end up paralyzed for the next 50 years..."

R

·
0 Posts
Me and a guy was talking about riding gear the other day. I told him that I had a 2x olympia one piece that really did not fit me well b/c it keeps my torso hunched up and if he wanted to try it he could. Told him it was pretty good summer wear b/c its light grey and has a bunch of vents in it. He told me that he just wore jeans and a t-shirt during the summer. ME: Why? Him b/c I dont dress to crash. ME: Well my skin is too pretty to get all rashed up and that happened to me already when I was young and dumb riding a crotch rocket in shorts and flipflops. It only takes on time down to find some good gear. Him: I'll take my chances.
This is the way most of the crusier guys think, really like the dude wish I could change his mind but he is a grown man, but even he wears a full face helmet.

RR

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The worse result of a crash is if the rider doesn't quite die--just spends years drooling in a nursing home, wallowing around in a dirty Depend®.

ME: Why? Him b/c I dont dress to crash. ME: Well my skin is too pretty to get all rashed up and that happened to me already when I was young and dumb riding a crotch rocket in shorts and flipflops. It only takes on time down to find some good gear. Him: I'll take my chances.
Dress for the slide, not for the ride.

The first place I saw the chart of impact areas on the head was in one of David L. Hough's books. I believe the chart was the result of research done by a German hospital or medical university.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
You could wear a Buick.

I have my own priorities, and among them is awareness of my surroundings.

I find that my open-face helmet is correct for me, in a number of ways.

I hear far better with my helmet than I have with full-coverage helmets,
and that difference tips the scales for me. Everyone needs to draw the
line somewhere, because we cannot carry enough armor to cover all the
body parts we can smash or bend or grind along the pavement.

The lines I draw have proven correct for me, for fifty years.
The one time that armor could conceivably have made a difference,
four wheels of a ten-wheel truck backed over me, and several of them
went over the motorcycle. I cannot imagine what quantity of armor
could have protected me against such a hazard as that was.

Indeed, armor could have proven fatal, because there was very little
room for me under the truck's differential ... but there was enough.

The motorcycle wasn't even suitable for use as an anchor,
yet here I am riding around and enjoying myself.
I will continue to use the gear that suits me, and it ain't a lot.

Keith

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
Had a friend go down just starting off around a corner. Low-sided on something and bashed his head right on the edge of the curb. Without a full-face helmet he would have put some dentist's kid through Harvard Med School.

"dress for the ride" = organ donor . . . or life-long veggie

By the same token, I dislike helmet laws but that is more political than safety related.

S

·
0 Posts
Keith, you'll get no lecture from me - I'm against helmet laws, too - but I choose to ride with a FF helmet. Hearing stories like the OP's reinforces MY choice to do so.

I don't have all the gear I'd LIKE to have (yet, anyway), but I still ride. I know I'm risking a bunch of rash on my legs by riding around jeans, but it's not keeping me off the bike.

...but, my face is just TOO PRETTY - it would be a huge dis-service to women everywhere if I chanced it getting smashed up.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I-65 is dangerous around some of those curves up around the circle, 55mph but typical speed is 75-85mph, It would be a cold day in hell when I rode on interstate without all gear on.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Peach inspediment

Not wearing a full-face helmet is the first step toward developing a permanent peach inspediment.

But it's also a personal choice, because it's his face that'll get messed up, not mine. His choice of 'freedom' doesn't affect or impact me at all. As long as my own insurance rates don't go up as a result of his crash ... oh wait ...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Make that a full face helmet. The majority of helmet impacts take it on the chin.

Hey, do you know the source of that chart? I'd be curious to take it to another forum, but I'd be curious about the background... i.e. how many accidents were surveyed, where, by whom, etc. Yes, the picture is worth a thousand words, but without the words, it's just a picture. :)

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
it's just a picture. :)
Maybe so, but it makes sense to me. 30% in the face: it's the leading edge of the head; it's gonna hit and hit hard. I've had one hard one in forty years of riding and I ground the face of my full-face really hard, forehead to chin. Everybody makes their own choices, but full-face for me.

No helmet is incomprehensible to me. I wear a helmet when I ride my bicycle.

S

·
0 Posts
... His choice of 'freedom' doesn't affect or impact me at all. As long as my own insurance rates don't go up as a result of his crash ... oh wait ...
That's the logic employed by cagers to outlaw motorcycles: "If I crash, I only have to fix a dent. If a rider crashes, it's tons of medical + a totalled bike- it's blowing my insurance up!! There's no reason for anyone to drive (ride) such a dangerous vehicle."

Edit: OT, AND political!! I'm gonna get banned, aren't I?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
That chart kind of surprises me. I would have thought that the numbers on the back of the helmet would have been higher.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts