Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general I have liked this filter, but at the beginning of its third year it is coming apart. In fact there were bypass gaps. Fortunately, no detectible dust in the air-box. Going now to K&N which will last forever.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Since I put a bit of window screen to perfilter the airbox inlet, I don't get much debris on the filter and just back flow the dust out with the compressed air. They filter doesn't seem loaded like the first time i checked it.
Don't forget to clean and oil the K&N every 500K miles!
I had one on my airhead beemers that I used for decades. Still some don't like them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Since I put a bit of window screen to perfilter the airbox inlet, I don't get much debris on the filter and just back flow the dust out with the compressed air. They filter doesn't seem loaded like the first time i checked it.
Don't forget to clean and oil the K&N every 500K miles!
I had one on my airhead beemers that I used for decades. Still some don't like them.
500K miles? That's a lot of distance. :smile2:

I guess I didn't specify this, but I meant that I just installed a Pipercross filter. that's what I was talking about when saying I hope it lasts longer than the above-mentioned one.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
" Is there something I am missing"

Nothing. The OEM is perfectly fine. Like oil and windshields, everyone has a differing opinion.
The beauty of the forum inputs is that you get to see the wheel reinvented a zillion ways. It's educational!
"
500K miles"

i was being generous.:grin2:

·
Registered
916 Posts
"
500K miles"

K&N carries a million mile warranty, IIRC. But I don't want a filter that will be passed down to my grandchildren.

Had a shop teacher once who said the best filter was a piece of wood, won't let any dirt by. Of course it won't let any air through either. It's a trade off.

Seriously, OE filter is fine, but if you do a lot of dirt riding and go through them at a rapid rate, K&N will pay for itself quick.

·
Registered
204 Posts
" Is there something I am missing"

Nothing. The OEM is perfectly fine. Like oil and windshields, everyone has a differing opinion.
The beauty of the forum inputs is that you get to see the wheel reinvented a zillion ways. It's educational!
"
500K miles"

No problem at all. :smile2:

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Actually I think the K&N has a 50K interval for a clean and lube.
Heirlooms are hard to come by. What's wrong with leaving the air filter that Great Grandpa put 4 million miles on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts