StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stromies!
Just got my DL650K7. Does everyone's V or wee pipes turn gold at the bend coming out of the engine? I have 158 miles on it and it already looks GOLD/brown. I talked to a harley guy here at work and he said it's "running lean". Most of the pics I see of others bike seem to have to this issue also. Should i just except it? Nature of the beast? Get a remap? Or is there a cleaner that removes this? Thanks in advance ... the Squeegee

·
Registered
285 Posts
Call Kieth at Dobeck and get a fueler. I put mine on a couple weeks ago and the problem is solved. I run stock pipes on mine.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Pipes Turning Gold

This is happening to my pipes, also, but I believe this is normal. I found some information regarding this on the internet:

"Through the years, a number of people have asked us about their aftermarket exhaust tips turning a goldish color.

Good-quality stainless steel normally turns this color when exposed to repeated heat cycles, and will even turn blue if it gets hot enough. The "golding" should be considered normal and not a defect."

This information was found at the below link. It's part of an advertisement for a product which can be used to eliminate the goldish coloring from stainless steel pipes if you wish.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/techtips/blueaway.htm

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Fairly normal since I believe the bikes are tuned a little on the rich side from somewhere that I read. Most turn a bluish with some slight gold coloration. I would not worry too much unless you just hate the sight of gold pipes. I think it goes to show you the V-Strom turns to gold with age!:mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's normal for single walled stainless steel headers to turn a straw color. Chromed steel will turn blue. Most chromed steel pipes are double walled though and won't discolor. Lean burning will result in a hotter exhaust but the Harley guy didn't know the strom has a single wall SS header.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Add to what Greywolf just stated, I believe that the 2007's are set up to meet the tougher Euro emission standards wit a catalytic thingy. My new 1250 Bandit has colored up the pipes all the way back to the muffler. The catalytic whoosit will also add to the coloration due to the increase in temp.
I love to get techical in my posts!!!
Willie

·
Registered
704 Posts
Willie,
Your post made more sense to me than anything I've read in a while.
Mine are also gold back to the muffler.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Air injection

It's as much the fact that the bike is running lean as it is the fact that air is being injected into the exhaust. Hi temp exhaust gas with air mixed into it is burning off the unburnt fuel, in the exhaust header.

Some people wrap their exhaust headers with a high temp wrap, to reduce the heating and cooling of the header, hopefully, making it last longer.

I remember my old 1975 BMW discolored it's stainless exhaust, and it didn't have a bit of smog on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its normal, you shouldve seen the pipe on my bird 4 into 1 on a hot running 1137cc motor, it was gold as hell and placed perfectly to burn your leg :evil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts