StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, upon hard acceleration from about 3500-4000 rpm, I hear some pinging from the engine. What should I look for to try to fix this. If I accleerate from say 5000rpm it never happens, so is this just trying to get too much from too low rpms? I use 87 octane gas as recommended.

·
Registered
83 Posts
bigtallguy said:
Sometimes, upon hard acceleration from about 3500-4000 rpm, I hear some pinging from the engine. What should I look for to try to fix this. If I accleerate from say 5000rpm it never happens, so is this just trying to get too much from too low rpms? I use 87 octane gas as recommended.
I think a lot of folks get hung up on using 87 octane. Suzuki's recommendation in the manual is:

FUEL, OIL AND ENGINE COOLANT RECOMMENDATION FUEL (FOR USA AND CANADA)
Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 87 pump octane (R + M /2 ) research method.
Gasoline containing MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether), less than 10 % ethanol, or less than 5 % methanol with appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitor is permissible.

FUEL (FOR OTHER COUNTRIES)
Gasoline used should be graded 91 octane (Research Method) or higher. Unleaded gasoline is recommended.

Notice the "at least/or higher" bits. I'd use whatever makes that critter run the best and you might find that a higher octane blend will reduce your pinging symptoms. Other things that have helped in other vehicles are running a notch cooler spark plug, a notch cooler thermostat on the engine coolant, some have had success using engine cleaners to remove any built up carbon deposits, and one Dodge truck I've owned has issues with the routing and quality of the spark plug ignition wires.

--Mike

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I'll run 89 when it is HOT....but use 87 the rest of the time. My bike seems to run smoother with the irdium plugs.

Bigtallguy: what gear are you "accelerating hard" in that causes the pinging?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gear varies, I first noticed it in 6th on the interstate trying to pass, then noticed it more on occasion in various gears when I was just having fun speeding up. I will try mid grade on the next fill up and see what happens. The heat may have something to do with it cause its always hot here :oops: (except for that odd day in January)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my VStrom Saturday. First thing I noticed was the ping between 3000 - 3500 rpm. I also have a KLR 650 that has the same problem at the same rpm range.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Is that a steady speed thing or an acceleration from that range? What is the outside temperature and altitude?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
GW
On acceleration they will ping bad enough that you will back out of the throttle in 5th and 6th from 3500 rpm's and up, 100 to 115 degree temp. low humidity, and from 1000 to 5000 feet of altitude. Changing to 89 octane will eliminate almost all of the detonation and make the engine much smoother even in lower gears, on really hot days 115 plus 91 octane will do the job. The higher octane fuel makes enough difference that you can just roll the throttle on in 6th and get smoother (better) results then 87 octane and using 5th gear for the same passing situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts