StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been loving the PR4 Trail but now I'm needing to replace the rear and cant find them or at least for a fair deal. I'm looking now at the PR5 Trail. Anyone with any experience with this tire?
I ride 2 up mostly pavement and mostly mountain roads so wet and twisty is my game. Any tires that would make me forget about the PR4's performance?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have a Road 5 Trail on the rear with 6,000 miles on it. I ride alone on my 650. Probably will make 10,000. It had 8/32” new and is at 5/32” now. Front tire is a PR 4 Trail with 15,000 miles on it. It is worn to 3/32” so it won’t last much longer. The R5 seems to work as well as the old PR 4 Trail that was on the rear. I don’t get into rain too much but it does work well when it’s wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have been loving the PR4 Trail but now I'm needing to replace the rear and cant find them or at least for a fair deal. I'm looking now at the PR5 Trail. Anyone with any experience with this tire?
I ride 2 up mostly pavement and mostly mountain roads so wet and twisty is my game. Any tires that would make me forget about the PR4's performance?
I have a brand new PH4 front for sale, but shipping might be prohibitive

·
Registered
449 Posts
This detailed review and comments seem pretty positive. I'm game for trying them for my next set.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I had PR4 and 5s on my BMW and on my Wee and now PR5s on my 2018 DL1000 they now have 7000 Mi looks like they will go to 9000. They handle great wet or dry.I spend part of my time in Wa state the rest of the time is in the Canyons of So Cal and I am not easy on tires, I will buy them again...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Fantastic tire. Better than the PR4 on all fronts. It even has SOME cred off road where the PR4 had none. The Road5's on my DL1000 lasted 27000k's which would be near a record for me on any bike. They weren't slicks, belts weren't showing but beyond their best for sure. Only started to show signs of that in the last few 1000k's. (Twitchy, sliding occasionally).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fantastic tire. Better than the PR4 on all fronts. It even has SOME cred off road where the PR4 had none. The Road5's on my DL1000 lasted 27000k's which would be near a record for me on any bike. They weren't slicks, belts weren't showing but beyond their best for sure. Only started to show signs of that in the last few 1000k's. (Twitchy, sliding occasionally).
This must be a record for any tire on the 1000.
I couldn't manage more then 16000km on any tire brand and model, and I consider myself a mild rider.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the reviews! I feel better about getting one ordered soon.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

Not cheap. I'm a Bstone guy. Or Shinko.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Sure looks like a good tire though. Esp in the corners.

Details
  • The Michelin Road 5 Trail tire was designed for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road.
  • 2 Compound Technology with all-new silica-charged rubber compounds for excellent grip from 23°F to 113°F.
  • XST+ siping and enhanced tread patterns for optimum grip at all lean angles.
  • Stop shorter in the wet vs. the leading competitive sport touring tires and the Michelin Pilot® Road 3.
  • V-rated for speeds up to 149 mph
  • Tubeless (TL).
  • Blackwall.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I only put about 500 miles on my R5Ts before winter set in, but I'm very happy. I got them on a fire sale at a local shop, but would still be happy if I paid full price at ZLA. They didn't seem any worse on gravel that my previous Shinko 705s. The little rain I was caught in didn't phase them a bit, which I'd expect given the other reviews of wet performance. In the dry, they're fantastic. I'm no street Rossi, but I never felt any lack of traction on the roads, even down to near freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My secondhand Wee came with almost new R5s. This thread makes me feel very good about that. Glad to know I will not be buying tires soon. I have never seen 3000 miles on the ST1300s back tire.
I only put a few hundred miles on the Wee before the hand surgery. The R5s handled my favorite twisties as well as any tire I have ridden them on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was very satisfied with the P4's even though they were noisy and caused some vibration, great for the corners and wet. However, the P5's lasted less than 7,500 still with tread but the rear ended up feeling rough when cornering and had more noise than the P4's. The rear tire was sent back and I got a credit and decided, after reading very good reviews from the UK, to go with the Metzler Roadtec 01, a sport touring tire. Just as good as the P4 and P5 in the wet and in the corners yet smoother and no vibration or road noise. They have 3,000 kms on them and seem to be fine.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was very satisfied with the P4's even though they were noisy and caused some vibration, great for the corners and wet. However, the P5's lasted less than 7,500 still with tread but the rear ended up feeling rough when cornering and had more noise than the P4's. The rear tire was sent back and I got a credit and decided, after reading very good reviews from the UK, to go with the Metzler Roadtec 01, a sport touring tire. Just as good as the P4 and P5 in the wet and in the corners yet smoother and no vibration or road noise. They have 3,000 kms on them and seem to be fine.
I have always loved the Metz on my M109R. I might have try this Roadtec 01. Seems to be priced good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts