StromTrooper banner

Pilot Road 4 out in January.....

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Noobens 
#1 ·
PRESS RELEASE
Boulogne-Billancourt – 6 November 2013
The new Michelin Pilot Road 4:
three different versions available from January 2014
 The Michelin Pilot Road 4 for sport touring, trail and GT bikes will be available
in early 2014.
 The new BMW R 1200 RT will be factory-fitted with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT.
 Michelin has once again pushed the limits of braking. On wet surfaces, the new
tyre’s braking distance is shorter than that of its main competitors.
In 2014 Michelin will bring to market an all-new range of motorcycle tyres, available in three
versions: the Michelin Pilot Road 4, Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT and Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail.
Intended for road use only, these tyres cover most categories of road motorcycles of more
than 600cc.They were designed to deliver maximum safety in the most common conditions
of use, especially on wet roads and in particular when braking.
Michelin will also be the tyre supplier for the new BMW R 1200 RT with the GT version of its
new tyre. The fact that BMW has selected the Pilot Road 4 for this bike – the bestselling bike
in its category – reflects the level of performance it provides.
In short, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 delivers enhanced safety in all situations and extended
tyre life. They are a tangible illustration of Michelin’s Total Performance strategy of constantly
and simultaneously improving tyre performance characteristics across the board.
With the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres, the aim is to enable as many motorcyclists as possible
to experience safe riding in nearly all conditions.
Size availability:
Ends…
Media Contact: + 33 (0) 1 45 66 22 22
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Standard
120/60 ZR 17
120/70 ZR 17
150/70 ZR 17
160/60 ZR 17
180/55 ZR 17
190/50 ZR 17
190/55 ZR 17
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT
120/70 ZR 17
120/70 ZR 18
170/60 ZR 17
180/55 ZR 17
190/50 ZR 17
190/55 ZR 17
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail
110/80 R 19
120/70 R 19
150/70 R 17
170/60 R 17

See less See more
#3 ·
I really hope that they keep the Road 3s around because they've bee flying off of our shelves. I think the bulkier squared off grooves on the Road 4 may work better, but the sport bike crowd probably won't like the looks of them. I've already had people complain about the Pilot Power 3 which got the same squared off grooves last year. People have been sticking with the 2CT+ because of it. Silly, I know.

#4 ·
...I think the bulkier squared off grooves on the Road 4 may work better..
Hey, thanks for posting the image. I currently have Anakee IIIs front and rear on my Wee and like both overall but am slightly disappointed with the fast wear of the front tire. I feel I'll be doing well to get 8K miles out of it. I might use one of these PR4s next on the front and see how long it lasts. I'd get to stick with Michelin tires (for my peace of mind), likely not give up any smoothness (might gain some if there's any to be had), and probably not notice the traction difference on the occasional forest road.

#5 · (Edited)
Excellent, maybe now the PR3's will become slightly less unaffordable.

#6 ·
Sorry Noobins, its not clear to me which PR tire you posted the image of. You talked about a couple...

#7 ·
Appears to say Pilot Road 4 on the tire. Near the top of the image...

#8 ·
Yes, but "standard, "GT" or "Trail"…..or do they all look the same?

Anyway, its a cool looking tire. I'll be looking for a new rear to replace my Anakee 3's mid-June when I expect to have around 14k on them (and I think they'll be about done then too).
For as much fire road riding as I do, I will probably NOT put on another set. They've been great tires: they're just a bit noisy for my taste. :beatnik:

I was thinking Battle Wings, but I'm kind of partial to the Michelin brand.

#10 ·
I love PR3's. Had them on both of my SV's now also on my DL. Only problem I had was some funny wear on the rear of the SV at low mileage. But that was more than likely due to being too heavily loaded (passenger and luggage) with probably too low pressure.

Even though I love the PR3's I think my next set will be more of a dual sport tire. Hoping to do more non-pavement riding next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.