StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just felt like sharing some pics I just took after admiring the shape and tread of my pr3's. I have a vee k6 with PCiii and 2Bros. I ride 20 miles r/t to work in dc rush hour m-f, 300-500 miles nearly each weekend in the VA/WV mountains (fairly aggressively), and have a 2500 mile smoky mtn camping trip. I feel confident in wet and dry weather, and great grip while scraping the pegs. Great tires IMHO.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
p3

I would have bought p3 s but couldn't figure out stupid sw moto site so bought tourance instead

·
Registered
44 Posts
2600 miles on my PR3's so far - awesome tyres. They are probably the best rubber available for the DL's wheel sizes.. I find myself adopting exactly the same riding style in the wet as in the dry, they are that good. A British motorcycle magazine really rated them highly stating that they were 'knee down in the wet' good :thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
p3

+ 1 Great tire for the Strom
Too bad Michelin can't get the v/z rating thing cleared up. What tires did you end up getting ? The radial on back and the non on the front?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the ones on bike bandit. Thought both were radials.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, almost forgot that I rode through tropical storm byrna and heavy heavy wind and rain. Smart idea? Perhaps not. But the tires gave me absolutely no concern.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and crossed over 2 sets of mountains on big rocks and gravel. Was I in first gear for over 2 hours and abusing my clutch? You betcha!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Too bad Michelin can't get the v/z rating thing cleared up. What tires did you end up getting ? The radial on back and the non on the front?
They are all radials. You have your choice of rear tires. The "Trail" rear tire has the V-speed rating and more of the medium hardness rubber in the center and farther toward the sidewall. (I'd think it better for tire life on roads made with especially abrasive aggregate and for heavily laden riders.) The other rear tire has the W-speed rating and a narrower strip of the medium hardness rubber in the center with a wider section of the softer, grippier rubber on the sides. (I'd think it better for the rider who drags pegs more, but lightly loaded.) The only front in our size is the "Trail" version with the V-speed rating.

I have the Trail rear, don't ride with a heavy load or a passenger, and I like these tires a lot.

ZR means zero angle radial belt.
V speed rating; don't exceed 149 mph.
W speed rating; don't exceed 168 mph.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Thanks for posting these photos! :hurray:

It's nice to see real-world evidence showing how well these tires hold up. We all know they work great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my buddy rides a 1050 tiger and got 4700 miles on the trail rear tire. He rides to the blueridege mountains 200miles loaded for camping then fairly spirited when in the twisties. He weighs 210 and rides with the saddle bags on. Pretty sure I'm going to get a pair. I do like to ride some on the dirt but tired of changing 50/50 tire every 2000 miles. Also, tooking forward to a more grip and smoother turns. I'm hoping I'll get more miles. I did talk to another guy that got 6700 on his FJR. Sure would be nice if a 80/20 dual compound tire was made. A mechanic did mention that mitchelin was making one but haven't located info on it yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the Anakee 2's and they're good tires. I don't really have any complaint. I have probably 8k on them. However, last month while my bike was laid up with a bad stator, I borrowed my brother's strom (Bravo21) which is the same year (and color) which has the Pilot 3's to drive 100 miles each way to pick up the new stator. I was surprised by how smooth they are. Essentially the same bike but there's just a smoother feel to it with those tires. I know, that's totally subjective, but it was the very first thing I noticed when I got out on the highway. That has sold me on them. The Anakee's will need replacing in the spring, and I'm going to pop for a set of Pilot 3's. I ride paved roads 98% of the time, so why not go with a smooth running tire that has great grip - wet or dry?

·
Registered
111 Posts
pilot 3

so which ones are best for the road?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have approx 5500kms on mine now (installed approx 1mos ago), and I'm very impressed with the handling.

They are sticky, and are showing very little wear, especially the front.

I ride pretty spirited, and am 100% pavement kinda guy.

The only issue I have, is that the rear blocks seem to be wearing uneven....some higher than others. I have gotten this on the front tire in the past, but not the rear, and not this soon.

I am running about 39.5-41 PSI rear, about 38-39 front. This is slightly more than I used to run, and I was trying to see if it provided better wear, specifically on the front.....oh well :(

Will bump up to 42 on the rear, and also had a couple clicks of compression dampening to the Elka.....will see how that goes.

Probably can't tell from the pics, but that wasn't the point, really just wanted to show how much life is left on these tires after some hard-ish riding, I'll definitely be replacing them with the same next season!

Rear:

Front:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have PR3's on mine too.

Can I ask you guys, what pressure do you run your front and rear tyres at? :confused:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I go with 36 on front and 39 psi on rear with my PR3's. Seems like a good mix.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts