StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up a trip to the SE and have about finished the front Pilot road 1.
Started with 5/32 tread depth; now after 12,500 miles, the center is down to 2/32, right side (half over) is 2/32 and the left side (half over) is less than1/32.
Best tire mileage I've ever had! Should make it home from AR in another thousand or so.
I assume the PR1s are finished. Any suggestions. I remember the Avon Storms didn't get the mileage the 45/46s did. So wonder about the PR 2s and 3s.

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Seems like PR3s are the natural choice. :) I'll be putting a set on in the next couple of weeks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
When I get through the 1s I've stockpiled, I'll be trying the 3s.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I went through PR1 -> PR2 -> Anakee II Happy to begin with and happier each time. I'll be sticking with the Anakee's if the mileage works out, and it looks like it will.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm in same boat

I am 1/2 through my cheap ebay pilots. Even though they were old when purchased I wish I had bought more and stockpiled like GW becasue seem to be wearing well and like how they handle.

I'll probably go to RP 2 or 3 if my RP1 last as long as I think they will looking at the tread; given they probably aren't worse. I will be interested to see replies here of those that have run RP and others. I had Anakee II (replaced Tourance rear flat) and did not like the noise.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...I had Anakee II (replaced Tourance rear flat) and did not like the noise.
I had heard about that possibility and was concerned when I purchased, but mine emit no exceptional noise except the slightest of hums in sharper, low speed turns. The more aggressive tread gives me much more confidence on my occasional forays down the numerous unpaved, clay/sand roads (which are actually oft used by locals) around here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the pilot road 3's on my Ducati 696.
Great tyres, but the front tyre makes a hum at low speed on smooth road surfaces.I'm fairly sure the hum is caused by the water sipes in the tread,i've only gor a couple of hundred KMs on them so it may go away once they wear a bit.I just hope it doesn't get louder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts