StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously looking to purchase a new 650, but I have a pillion about 50% of the time. Will I be disappointed in the performance of the 650 or should I step up to the 1100? I would be at about 400 pounds max with passengers and equipment.

·
Registered
934 Posts
We are 420 combined. I've never felt we were underpowered. For a short time I considered going up to the Vee, then. I rode one, I found it much rougher than the 650. So I stayed with the 650. I changed out the front springs to decrease nose dive and I plan on upgrading the front calipers for better braking. I ride 2up 99% of the time and that is about 800 miles per month on average.

Sent from my phone...there will be spelling errors!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the same boat and I understand the 1000 suffers from clutch and fueling issues. I might just opt for the bigger bike and try to sort things out. I ride a Triumph Thruxton and a modded DRZ400, so I'm willing to bet the 650 would have enough power for me. If you ride literbikes maybe not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ride 2-up ~90% of the time (and the gf is jealous of missing the remaining 10%.) My previous bike was a 1995 Yamaha Virago 1100, and I don't feel like I've lost any power by switching to the Wee - feels like I've gained some top end, actually, along with lots of smoothness.

Together, we tip the scales at ~450lbs., and often carry 50+ lbs of gear. With all that, and even in 6th gear, there's enough power at highway speeds that I don't usually shift into 5th until we're coming off at the exit. Well, once - but that took riding to the Catskills, finding a steep hill, and trying to pass a truck. :)

I've had lots of bikes in my life, but this is only the second one that's managed to impress me to this degree (the first was a French Honda CBF 750, back in the mid-1980s; it used to eat literbikes for lunch with boringly predictable regularity, and was a great, comfortable cruiser to boot.) I've already taken the Wee off-roading, climbing over boulders and through deep mud, and put a couple of thousand highway miles on it in the 6 weeks or so since I've bought it, and it is all around the most competent bike I've ever had. Really a joy to ride.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I find my wee to be adequate (barely) for riding two-up, until I put on side bags. Once I am loaded with gear and a passenger, I definitely feel underpowered. The wind resistance of the side bags really eats into your power at higher speeds. If I was doing a lot of two-up riding, the wee would not be at the top of my list of preferred bikes. I plan on moving up to an 800cc bike soon. I just want a bike with a little more balls than the wee provides.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I ride 2 up 90% of the time. I weigh 115kg, wife 50kgs.

The bike will cope just fine, wether you can cope with the 'slow' acceleration is up to you. I never had any trouble accerlating up hills, can still overtake cars...mind you, I can't keep up with my mates CBR 1000 up hill (but if you or I want to do that, we have the wrong bike).

it's all relative...depends on how fast you want to accelerate.

PS. I don't want to mislead you : I would prefer more power... but the extra costs here in Australia don't make it worth it that I would switch. If I could have had the 1000 for the same price as the 650, I probably would have gone the 1000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts