StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the Little Dragon, so-called by local riders. It's in the California Sierra mountains, about an hour or so south of Yosemite. From this spot you can ride some of the greatest roads on the planet, including the legendary Sierra passes of Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, and Monitor. A couple hrs west is jewel of a road, hwy 1, that runs along the pacific. There is so much good riding around here. This particular spot is an hour from my front door.

I've had the strom about a month now. Loving it more each ride. Today I had a chance to try out my newest farkles...the Kaoko throttle lock works well, the powerlet rearset plug kept my heated vest toasty, the Bags Connection tank bag is solid. Just a few more odds and ends and it will be finished :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
It doesn't suck to be you.

Beautiful road.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, that road looks fantastic. That's a big rear case, what kind is it? No side cases for this ride? I got the Givi E21s which are small enough to keep on all the time. Nice bike, and nice road.

Enjoy.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Dr,

That's a lovely looking road.

I'd love to get out there some day.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I've ridden parts of Highway 1 and it is a beautiful place. Phoenix to Arroyo Grande and up to San Simeon, then back down to Camarillo and along the coast to LA before heading back to Phoenix by way of Joshua Tree National Park. There is some fantastic scenery in that area.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that road looks fantastic. That's a big rear case, what kind is it? No side cases for this ride? I got the Givi E21s which are small enough to keep on all the time. Nice bike, and nice road.

Enjoy.
It's a Givi V46. I also have the E21 side cases but I opted to use the tail case that day.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
That's a great, great road and, by the way, not so little. Had the great fortune to ride it last Sept. By my experience, the Strom loves every road.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
From this spot you can ride some of the greatest roads on the planet, including the legendary Sierra passes of Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, and Monitor.
If you want to try something REALLY spectacular keep an eye on the Caltrans website for the spring opening of the Sonora Pass road and get up there as soon as you can -- preferably on a sunny day so the road surface is free of ice. I have a pic somewhere of my old Goldwing parked under a snow wall about 20' high.

Bring good sunglasses.:yesnod:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want to try something REALLY spectacular keep an eye on the Caltrans website for the spring opening of the Sonora Pass road and get up there as soon as you can -- preferably on a sunny day so the road surface is free of ice. I have a pic somewhere of my old Goldwing parked under a snow wall about 20' high.

Bring good sunglasses.:yesnod:
You mean like this :mrgreen: This was my last bike, opening day of Sonora pass a couple years ago. The pass is opening this coming weekend :hurray:

·
Registered
82 Posts
The problem with riding the Little Dragon right now is that they have recently laid down fresh tar snakes and filled them with pea gravel. It's a mess. We were there last week, it was a disappointment. There are much better roads for riding right now, but roads that photograph better than that are hard to come by.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
You mean like this This was my last bike, opening day of Sonora pass a couple years ago. The pass is opening this coming weekend
I hope it opens soon, but they are calling for more rain and cold weather this week, which means you-know-what in the high passes.

Have you ridden the Bristlecone Pine Nat'l Forest road out of Big Pine in the eastern Sierra? It doesn't show on many maps (thankfully). In my experience that is the best motorcycling experience of all. The Whitney Portal road over there out of Lone Pine is pretty nice, too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
well...........

I suppose if I didn't live in Wyoming where we have Yellowstone, and Devil's Tower, and the Big Horn Mts., and Flaming Gorge reservoir, and the Black Hills to ride in I could put up with riding in Kalifornia? :thumbup: Oh yea and if your willing to ride a little further Glacier National Park is up in Montana. :thumbup:

Do you guys still have that one person for every square foot of land thing going on? :yikes:

J, kiddin,

Flint

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Do you guys still have that one person for every square foot of land thing going on?
Do you guys still have that one curve for every thirty miles of road going on? Doesn't that cause your tires to flat-spot in the middle?:green_lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmmmm........

You ever been to the mountains in Wyoming? Both of the paved roads that cross the Big Horns are 63 miles of curves with very few vehicles on them. The Black Hills don't have a straight road in them. :thumbup: Now granted we have some <wide open country> that allows for a high speed jaunt or two there are less than half a million in the state and no income tax.

I was stationed in Cali for a year in the Navy and didn't mind it but that was in 1968. We have been out there since then but, you gots to many folks for us.

You enjoy your rides and I'll enjoy mine. :thumbup:

Flint

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose if I didn't live in Wyoming where we have Yellowstone, and Devil's Tower, and the Big Horn Mts., and Flaming Gorge reservoir, and the Black Hills to ride in I could put up with riding in Kalifornia? :thumbup: Oh yea and if your willing to ride a little further Glacier National Park is up in Montana. :thumbup:

Do you guys still have that one person for every square foot of land thing going on? :yikes:

J, kiddin,

Flint
I'll be thinking of you when I'm riding in January :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ha! Last year with barely a few months of riding under my belt I went along with some people I'd met online and rode that on my top-heavy GL500. All the other bikes with me were either GSXRs, CBRs or similar track bikes; me with my huge windshield and cloth saddlebags looked SO out of place! I think I have a picture of it somewhere...

Anyway I trailed behind the group a ways (to say the least). They were really gracious and nice about it but I learned real quick that road takes some experience and, hm, a better bike (or better bike skillz). Now that I have my V-strom though I'm itching to try my hand at it again. Definitely not at the speed those Gixxers were going at it but it'd be fun to test my still-baby skills on twisties. SO MUCH EASIER to corner on the Wee than on that 30-year old Honda I had!!

This is the Little Dragon, so-called by local riders. It's in the California Sierra mountains, about an hour or so south of Yosemite. From this spot you can ride some of the greatest roads on the planet, including the legendary Sierra passes of Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, and Monitor. A couple hrs west is jewel of a road, hwy 1, that runs along the pacific. There is so much good riding around here. This particular spot is an hour from my front door.

I've had the strom about a month now. Loving it more each ride. Today I had a chance to try out my newest farkles...the Kaoko throttle lock works well, the powerlet rearset plug kept my heated vest toasty, the Bags Connection tank bag is solid. Just a few more odds and ends and it will be finished :thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
well...........

Just have fun and be careful. The feeling of the open road from the seat of a bike is hard to compare to anything else, that's why the dogs like to hang out the window. :thumbup:

Flint

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll be thinking of you when I'm riding in January :thumbup:
I was going to say something along those lines too. We were in Yellowstone last June. It s beautiful. It's really too bad it rains out that way so often. All that water really messes with my riding schedule.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts