StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you guys post a pic of where you decided to mount your 12 volt plug. I know on my KLR I had it on the handbars. I thought that since the V-Strom is so very refined, I would try a more civilized approach. Thanks in advance! :yesnod:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There is another Velcroed inside the left front ear of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine lives under the seat -- it's on a tail long enough to hang out the side of the seat if required, but I find I really only use it with my air compressor:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have two, one under the seat and the other near the ignition.

The under seat one is handy for charging phones and the ipod when traveling and the one on the handlebars powers the GPS.

·
Registered
654 Posts

they are automotive aotlets that powerlet makes. Bought the kits from eastern beaver tho the kit meant for whre the left switch is so needed to extend wire. So if you get them form him and plan on mounting wher eI did ask for longer wire lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had mine mounted with zip ties out of the way under the instrument panel. Then I got the Pat Walsh shelf and moved it. Both locations worked well, but I like the Pat Walsh shelf mount better. Pics of both below:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked one up today. Anyone got any tips on along where to run the wire (I'm not that experienced with electrical stuff),

cheers

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is an interesting and timely topic, as I too am planning on installing a 12V power outlet this weekend. The one I bought is a standard automotive lighter type, with what appears to be a waterproof spring-loaded cover, similar to many pictured here. (Probably not waterproof with something plugged in, though). I was thinking of mounting it on the left frame, right below where the top bolt of my SW Motech crash-bar attaches. This would require drilling one small hole and tapping it in the V-shaped frame member. I don't think this would affect frame integrity. (Sorry no pix... have to imagine.) This would allow me to run a plug from my tank bag directly down the side of the tank to plug in for charging a phone or i-pod while on the road, and have easy access for a compressor if needed.

Questions: Is there a real need to have the socket up near the key area? Seems wires would be flapping in the breeze in that already crowded location. Also, should the socket be switched or un-switched? I'm leaning toward switched to prevent anyone (like, mainly me) from accidently plugging something in and leaving it on, draining the battery in the process.) I have the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit relay setup, but haven't decided what to hook up to the 3 circuits. GPS (unswitched), Lighter socket, (?) Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Questions: Is there a real need to have the socket up near the key area?

Bob
I need one up there since my current GPS only has a 2 hr battery life. Situations may vary.

Also, should the socket be switched or un-switched?

Bob
I am going to have mine unswitched or "always hot" so I can charge my phone or use an air compressor without the key on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mine's the Powerlet brand in the automotive size. Got it from Eastern Beaver complete with wiring harness. Wired it directly to the battery so I can charge ipod, phone or whatever while taking a break if I need to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts