Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've done a chop job on your OEM windscreen, please post a pic here. I'm trying to get ideas for the overall shape for my chop project.

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
No pic yet, but I cut mine down just a few days ago. About the same height as the one already pictured, but the curve was traced from the curve of the top of the stock screen. My thinking was to cut it down enough to eliminate the "flip back" at the top - where the curvature of the screen goes from concave to convex.

Bad news: still buffets me. I'm back to riding with no screen.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Like steve68steve, I traced the curve from the top of the screen, about 4" down. Unlike ScottG, I didn't tape up the screen to protect it when cutting, and ended up scratching it a bit with the base of my jigsaw.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Nice shape, Did it reduce the buffeting?
Yeah it did. The madstad bracket helps too, with both tall and short screens.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I really like the look of ScottG's screen, but I already cut off too much to go for that look. What I ended up with looks more like Kembro's and Heavy's, but less rounded across the top. I'll post a pic a little later.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, here are a couple of pics. (They're not very good since I just shot them in the garage.)

I drew the line I wanted to cut directly on the windshield using a Sharpie.I used my bandsaw to do the rough cuts for the main chop and rounding the corners. Then I used a belt sander, clamped in my bench vise, to smooth the cuts and bring the contours right up to the lines I had drawn. Finally, I used a hand file to finish up the edges. I like the way it turned out. I'll have to wait until this evening to get it out for a test ride. I think I'm going to add some flat black windshield edge trim to give it a more finished appearance and add some contrast. I went down to Cycle Gear today, but the only had the gloss black. So I guess I'll just have to order the trim.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nice...

Looks good Warhammer. I was going to post a link to this thread (http://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=32312) which I was reading last night. It's not about screens specifically, but has some good pics. It's too late for you now, but perhaps others looking for ideas can use it.

I was also going to post some pics of mine, but by the time I snapped some, Kembro posted some of his which looks identical.

I must say, the OD on the screen looks even better since being cut down. I think the black trim seems a pretty good idea too. Let me know where you find the flat black, I'm looking for some for mine as well and flat seems to make the most sense.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I cut mine down last year and ran with it until fall. Then I got the Madstad bracket and ran the stock shield. The temps are picking up again, so I threw on the shorty. I found the buffeting to be worse with it and took it off. Besides, with the M bracket on the bike, the shield is so short that the top hardware shows. So, if I were to do it again I would not cut it so short in case you get a MB.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No chance of me ever getting another Madstad bracket. I tried it and didn't like it. When I tried to contact the owner of the company to send it back for a refund (they offer a CLAIMED 100% satisfaction guaranty), the sob refused to reply to MULTIPLE phone calls and e-mails. I would never buy another product from a person or company that shows that little integrity!

Canvas6st
Cycle Gear carries the windshield edging in multiple colors for $7.99. They do have flat black listed, they just didn't have any of it in stock when I went there. You could always order it from them. I'm going to swing by Pep Boys and see if door edge trim will work for this purpose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry that was the Golden Monkey's screen, not mine, yet. I've just dropped mine down and drilled 4 new holes. Will post picks tomorrow. Definite improvement. Still got buffeting just lower so it's off my head. can still tuck into an air pocket and sitting up helmet is in clean air. Will do till I get the Madstad Bracket. Only downside was that the screw trims would not match up so flipped them over and screwed them up.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, I checked out the motorcycle windscreen trim and it's too thin to work on the Strom windscreen. That stuff is designed for sportbike screens that are thinner and supported around the entire perimeter. So, I went down to Pep Boys and bought some car door trim. It's half the price for twice as much and fits the Strom windshield perfectly. The trim doesn't make the bends at the corners perfectly, but I think it turned out pretty good. I may take the trim off and round off the corners a bit to reduce the angle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts