StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Jefferson Notch Road

Old Cherry Mountain Road

exploring the possibility of leading an adventure day ride in the next few weeks, scouting out a route, trying to find a way to avoid leaf peeper roads, but I think I gotta be on em to link things

I also got hit, a woman driving a convertable pulled out in front of me, she was to my right turning into me, no time for me to stop, no place to swerve to the right, she was turning left toward me, I had to swerve even further left, then she saw me, and came to a stop quickly, but not before her bumper made contact with my pelican case, it was empty, sounded like a loud drum beat, pushed me sideways thought but not quite enuf to knock me over

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I also got hit, a woman driving a convertable pulled out in front of me, she was to my right turning into me, no time for me to stop, no place to swerve to the right, she was turning left toward me, I had to swerve even further left, then she saw me, and came to a stop quickly, but not before her bumper made contact with my pelican case, it was empty, sounded like a loud drum beat, pushed me sideways thought but not quite enuf to knock me over

Leaf season is just starting up down here.

Glad you survived the inattentive converible pilot.
Are you a tobacco chewer?

Nice patina on the Pelican.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pics Randyo, looks like Strom country to me. Gotta love those Caribou/ Pelicans. :thumbup:
on Sandwich Notch road, only met a couple oncoming vehicles in 15 miles and a couple mountain bikers too, they were flying, no other vehicles, even parked on the side of the road. On Tripoli Road, I met a few more, and there were plenty of hikers cars parked on the side, but not the traffic you see in summer. On Cherry Mountain road, I had all 15 miles or so all to myself

I'm kinda bummed that Jefferson Notch Road is closed , not sure why, maybe Irene washed something out, doubtful it will open before winter

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
15,094 Posts
Yeah sure, brag about your stinking fall colors! Would that we all had them. I thought you were going to publish pictures of exraordinary high water marks from all the flooding that finally subdided!
Fall is felling!

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
722 Posts
Missed this thread here earlier.

Your post on NESR encouraged me to go check out Tripoli Road a couple weeks ago. I'd never ridden that. On the way I found where Sandwich Notch Road dumps out onto 49. Need to check that out someday.

My planned route involved the Kanc and Bear Notch Road, possibly doubling back through Crawford Notch to blast home on 93.. but alas I ran out of time and tried to b-line it home on 16. Wound up in miserable traffic hating life and 2 hours late with a pissed off missus.

At least the morning was fun!

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I enjoyed Hurricane Mountain Road but the Conway deal makes me want to hurt myself

Next time I might be near there I have to find my way clear of there

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I enjoyed Hurricane Mountain Road but the Conway deal makes me want to hurt myself

Next time I might be near there I have to find my way clear of there
You take, West Side Road. It circumvents the downtown areas and plops you out fairly near the scenic overlook and the western end of the Hurricane Mtn Road.

It begins directly across from the Rt 153 & Rt 16 intersection. You can follow it all the way to Rt 302 near Attitash Mtn Ski Resort if you want to.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You take, West Side Road. It circumvents the downtown areas and plops you out fairly near the scenic overlook and the western end of the Hurricane Mtn Road.

It begins directly across from the Rt 153 & Rt 16 intersection. You can follow it all the way to Rt 302 near Attitash Mtn Ski Resort if you want to.

watch out for leos on West side Road, I prefer to avoid Conway altogether, turn off 153 in Eaton take Brownfield Rd to Haleytown Road comes out on 302 right next to the Welcome to ME info place, take 302 into Fryeburg at first light take left and apraoch HMR form the Chatam/EastConway side

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
watch out for leos on West side Road, I prefer to avoid Conway altogether, turn off 153 in Eaton take Brownfield Rd to Haleytown Road comes out on 302 right next to the Welcome to ME info place, take 302 into Fryeburg at first light take left and apraoch HMR form the Chatam/EastConway side
I am familiar with that route too. However, if your destination is points north, the only way there is either through the "Conway Towns", or the West Side Road.

And, you are absolutely correct about police activity on the West Side Road. I have almost gotten caught twice. I figure, I would rather just suck it up and obey the speed limit on the West Side Road then ride through the towns.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Missed this thread here earlier.

Your post on NESR encouraged me to go check out Tripoli Road a couple weeks ago. I'd never ridden that. On the way I found where Sandwich Notch Road dumps out onto 49. Need to check that out someday.
just so that you can't say I didn't warn you, Sandwich Notch Road is a bit rougher than Tripoli Road, you have to pay attention to clearance as well

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sweeeeeeet!

I was a little annoyed with the holiday traffic on Tripoli, actually. I got so frustrated I executed an illegal pass on a subie with mass tags.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweeeeeeet!

I was a little annoyed with the holiday traffic on Tripoli, actually. I got so frustrated I executed an illegal pass on a subie with mass tags.
I usually meet a vehicle or two on Sandwich Notch Road but rarely more than 3, maybe a hunter parked on the side or 2 depending on the season, If you do come up behind someone they will pull over at first oportunity to let you by, otherwise its not wide enuf to pass

I always blow past cars on Tripoli, pretty easy to maintain a 50-60mph pace if there were no cars , even on the gravel, SNR your doin good if you can maintain 30

·
Registered
722 Posts
I always blow past cars on Tripoli, pretty easy to maintain a 50-60mph pace if there were no cars , even on the gravel...
That was my experience too. I was actually quite annoyed when this dude didn't pull over after I was behind him for a half mile or so. Then, ~1/8 mile after I passed him, he turned off. Whatever.

Next season I'll have to check out more of these WMNF roads. Fun stuff.

Here and I thought I was just buying an upright street bike when I got my wee.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts