StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Saturday morning, I've been up since 5:30am because I'm so excited about picking up my new V-Strom 650 today. It's currently 22 degrees, but it's going to be a sunny day and is expected to hit near 50 today, so I'll wait until near midday to start the 60 mile ride to get the bike. I'm going to ride my SV there and leave it for a valve adjustment and ride the V-Strom back. My wife, who rides a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom, will ride there with me. This will be our first time out on the bikes since November. I'm buying the V-Strom because I want a bike that's more comfortable on long rides than the SV. My wife and I are riding to Florida in May and having made the trip on the SV before, I felt that the V-Strom is better suited for such a ride. Also we plan to make a lot more long trips next year as I'm retiring next January. My wife wants to go to Maine, I'd like to ride Skyline Drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace, Deals Gap, but I'm for sure going to the Barber Motorsports Race Track for the Moto GP race next year. Well, I'll post again after I get a few miles on the bike. Later.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
picking up a vstrom today.

Well how did it go? I picked up mine around 11:00 am today. I managed to get 70 miles on it so far. Each time I got home I found a new erand to accomplish. It may not be as fast as the FJR1300 that I rode to the dealer this morning to pick up the bike, but it is great.

SSMV650 home with a new blue DL650. :D :D :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ssmv650
It was great, thanks for asking. I put about 80 miles on it on Saturday and another 70 on Sunday. I really like the riding position, it's real relaxed. It handles great, a real joy to ride. I hadn't realized how tall the bike is until I pulled up next to my wife's cruiser and looked down at her. I got a lot of compliments on the bike over the weekend which surprised me, as I don't think it's a very attractive bike, at least not like the SV650. I'm looking forward to finishing the break-in period so I can open her up and see what she can do. This is the first bike I've owned with fuel injection and I like not having to mess around with the choke. (The first time I started it, I was looking for the choke and was feeling kinda dumb because I couldn't find it; then my brain woke up)

So how do you like yours?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first weekend

Well I have been a little more aggressive with my throttle than most. I really like the bike. The seating position is great. I rode about 60 miles without stopping yesterday and did not have any complaints. I have not been able to ride very hard yet because the roads around here have way too much gravel and salt on them still. When I broke in my 03' SV650S I forgot how much mileage helped the bike. The motor is very tight in the beginning. With just 130 miles on it now it responds much better to throttle input. I can't wait until it is completely broken in.

now I just need a power commander and pipe

SSMV650

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked up my dl650 yesterday, already have almost 350 miles on it. Its exactly what i was hoping it would be - comfortable, agile, good wind protection , and capable of handling some dirt and gravel roads. And yes, i took it down a gravel road here in tx. We have a ton of 70mph 2-lane farm roads here and the dirt side roads were always too risky with my old zrx, but not now =)

Will probably finish the break-in period tomorrow, then ill have to do an oil change on the road as my planned route is a bit over 1000mi. Anyone know if the dl650 uses the same filter as the sv?

Only real complaints so far: the lack of a helmet lock - it uses a cheesy strap; neutral is sometimes hard to find. I cant really comment on power much as im staying under the 5krpm breakIn limit, but low rpm power is suprisingly good for a 650.

-Shady

·
Registered
213 Posts
picking up DL650

Yes it should be the same oil filter as the SV650 and the DL1000. At 500 miles I'd start openning it up some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts