StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I posted in another dude's thread and decided that I should probably give an introduction.

I've been riding about 12 years now, mostly sportbikes. I've done a few track days, and enjoy the piss out of them, but a sportbike on the street has, in the past few years, become more of a chore than fun, and that's not what my motorcycling is about.

My past motorcycles include a 1981 CB650, two Honda VTR1000 Superhawks, a CRF150, and my current motorcycle, a Buell 1125R. LOVE the buell, but it's at home on a racetrack, and I can't afford to take it there every weekend ;-)

After a long decision making process (which led me through sport tourers, thinking of an old Goldwing, and putting a Ulysses tail section and bars on my 1125), I sat on a Moto Guzzi stelvio and started 'er up.

I had never though about these "adventure touring" bikes before, but the stelvio seemed to me the kind of bike I was looking for. Comfortable yet still flickable, capable of two up with my lovely wife, capable of doing some serious mileage yet still being fun in the twisties.

The stelvio, with 30k miles and a 9k price tag, didn't seem to be a smart choice. That's when I started looking at V-stroms.

I haven't ridden the 1000 yet, I will be riding a friend's tomorrow. I have, however, demoed the new 650 and loved it. What I did not love was the effort required to make a pass with my 6'6" 280 lb butt on it, especially with the wife on the back. She's tiny (115) but I most certainly am not.

The new 650 is a fantastic motorcycle. I have NEVER had as tough a time deciding on a bike as I am right now.

I have been trying to talk myself into the 650, and the advice here on the forums has been helpful. Since I don't yet have a dedicated track bike, I'm leaning toward the 1000, which (properly modded with suspension upgrades, fork brace, etc) should allow me to do a few track days this season (I'm in beginner group) until I can get a proper track bike next year.

I want the adventure model, mostly because it's a very small increase in price for some very nice luggage. I wish I could get the adventure model in red. But oh well :)

Initially my only mods will be the suspension and the factory gel seat and an alaska leather sheepskin pad. Later plans include a fork brace, brake upgrades, crash protection, and some power up front for a GPS.

Let's see. More about me...

I'm a 29 year old rider out of NoVA, MSF instructor, with a beautiful wife and a wonderful 3 year old daughter. I am a system engineer on a big border security project, and also a SSG in the Army national guard. I recently switched to the guard after a 3.5 year stint in the Reserves. I have about 6 years of total active duty time, including a tour as a Drill Sergeant.

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to Stromtroopers Fitz!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, signed the paperwork. They ordered farkles and are installing them. Got crash bars, -1/+2 sprockets, gel seat, and aux power. Have a tank bag and speedoDRD ready to go on. Will be ordering SS lines, racetech springs, and new pads next week or so

·
Registered
200 Posts
I sat on a Moto Guzzi stelvio and started 'er up.

I had never though about these "adventure touring" bikes before, but the stelvio seemed to me the kind of bike I was looking for. Comfortable yet still flickable, capable of two up with my lovely wife, capable of doing some serious mileage yet still being fun in the twisties.

The stelvio, with 30k miles and a 9k price tag, didn't seem to be a smart choice. That's when I started looking at V-stroms.

I think that was a wise choice (not getting the Moto Guzzi). Not that there's anything wrong with them that I'm aware of, but the sparse dealer network. The closest one to you is probably in Winchester and I don't think he really keeps them in stock. That's the only reason I don't still have a Triumph, too hard to get serviced / repaired. Village Motorports has been trying to get a Triumph franchise for a while now. Anyway, didn't intend to hijack! Got my 650 last Friday and already have the first service scheduled. We might need to take a ride out 211 sometime soon! :thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should be an EBR dealer next year, that would be AWESOME!

I don't ride 211 in the summer. Too many morons. I've done several 40 degree trips though and it's always great because there aren't any people out there.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Congrats! Seems like getting the bigger Strom would be a good match for you. That said..........run, don't walk, and get a fork brace. You're a big guy and like many have come to see, the fork brace is transformative for the Strom's front end feel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! Seems like getting the bigger Strom would be a good match for you. That said..........run, don't walk, and get a fork brace. You're a big guy and like many have come to see, the fork brace is transformative for the Strom's front end feel.
I plan on ordering both a fork brace and the race tech springs front/rear in a week or so.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Too many morons..
I resent that!! :mrgreen: I go a lot of weekday afternoons during warm weather, not too bad then. I agree with you on though, especially on weekends.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now i have the "new bike fever" waiting on this thing to be ready.

Dealer ordered parts, it's gonna be ready thursday.

So excited!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts