StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to these new fangled bikes with fuel injection and multiple cylinders. The valves were checked recently but what should I be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I hate to break it to you but I think the 2005 has carbs. Check the tires and brakes and all fluids at least (but you did that before the sale right?)

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: sparky80 and Gert

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
10,074 Posts
A recent valve check is a indication of a good PO.
The V-Strom 650 has evolved over the years and has no stand out, must check, potential faults.
Therefore check the usual - pitting of fork tubes or fork seal leaks, condition of the chain and sprockets, tires, oil leaks etc. People often comment that the engine seems noisy to them, but that is normal.
Has it been sitting unused in recent months? Check inside the tank for rust.

If you are buying privately pay attention to the owner and his home/garage. That will tell you a lot.
A bike presented poorly is also most likely maintained poorly.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
696 Posts
I'm always sceptical of a seller when they say "recent" valve check, major service, etc. Unless you have some documentation such as the clearance numbers written down and/or receipts for the work/parts I figure it's just sales talk.
Sort of like every VW for sale has just had a "recent" timing belt and wapterpump installed. The more difficult/expensive the service the more likely the seller to have claimed to have done the needed maintenance. Usually it's just seller BS.
Unless there is documentation or the seller is very believable I consider the the service/maintenance still on the "to do" schedule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't made the commitment to buy it for sure yet until I see it today, but I'm feeling good about the owner. He's selling it due to his age so we'll see if it sat for a long time. I'm coming from a drz so if it ends up being carbed that's no big deal, but from what I've read all vstroms have always been fuel injected?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Yes, all the the DL650's are FI.

Beyond the usual fluids and wear items, the Wee is pretty solid. Some had bad stators that died prematurely, and most will have headlight failure due to voltage running through starter switch. A headlight relay (Eastern Beaver sells one) will prevent this if installed before failure.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'd ride the bike for a while, it will tell you what it needs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm always sceptical of a seller when they say "recent" valve check, major service, etc. Unless you have some documentation such as the clearance numbers written down and/or receipts for the work/parts I figure it's just sales talk.
Sort of like every VW for sale has just had a "recent" timing belt and wapterpump installed. The more difficult/expensive the service the more likely the seller to have claimed to have done the needed maintenance. Usually it's just seller BS.
Unless there is documentation or the seller is very believable I consider the the service/maintenance still on the "to do" schedule.
I agree about the "sales talk." For example, I saw an add where the guy claimed, (among other things), that he "adjusted the chain every 500 miles."
1. Who does that???
2. Chains just don't need adjustment that often. I took a 4,000+ mile trip on mine and it never needed adjustment the whole time.
That statement right there was a red flag that other claims may also be B.S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Luckily he kept a log of every valve measurement and the last recorded one was done less than 2k ago. It's got heated grips and two 12v sockets wired nicely with a custom fuse panel, going to rig one of them into a phone charger/holder for nav.
It's got a rear top box but I'll only mount that with passengers or for longer trips

·
Registered
522 Posts
Many trouble free and enjoyable miles to you my friend.As johnnie said,”l keep my eyes open all the time;l watch the line” (walk the line,my story)!.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
696 Posts
Luckily he kept a log of every valve measurement and the last recorded one was done less than 2k ago. It's got heated grips and two 12v sockets wired nicely with a custom fuse panel, going to rig one of them into a phone charger/holder for nav.
It's got a rear top box but I'll only mount that with passengers or for longer trips
Excellent news to have documentation on the valve maintenance. Wish mine had been so blessed.
Mine also came with an OEM Suzuki rear box. It's huge and ugly.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
I've never used it, I've got the Wing for that sort of thing but I did mount these small CanAm Spyder tank/tail bags for stuff I may carry on the V.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts