StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago I posted about switching from an 06 BMW GT to a Strom 650. I ended up buying a K9 with 500 miles on it from a forum member here and I just picked it up today and rode for a couple hours, a mixture of twisties, long straights, and goat trails. First impressions- two thumbs up . Amazing fun. I still can't get over how such a modest displacement engine can be so capable. Coming off a 150+ HP BMW, I felt no lack of power except passing cars where it lacked the 2-second passing ability of the bigger bike. Not a big deal.

Impressed with the great lightweight flickability, the twin is smooth and torquey with a nice low-key growl, and the suspension really soaks up the bumps. I hit a goat trail that I always passed by on the GT and it was an absolute riot blasting up the mountain on rough broken-up asphalt, the wee just eats it up. It's not stressed at all at 80 MPH either. Totally impressed with it. It's not built to a particularly high standard of materials, with lots of inexpensive plastic bits and very basic switches and gauges, but I can forgive that at this price point. It's not poor quality, just basic.

It came with Givi bags (tail case not on in this picture), a fork brace, and the Madstad windscreen mount which works great and I was happy to see that little stock screen on the madstad is all I will need to keep the wind off with only minor buffeting over 70 mph. The stock seat is rubbish, not uncomfortable but built at about a $10 price point from the looks of it. So that will go soon. (edit, just did my first long ride on the bike, 350 miles over about 8 hrs in the saddle, it's actually not that bad. Had to stand up periodically but I've had much worse) Center stand coming, heated grips and handguards, a few other things, and with that giant gas tank I'll be ready to hit the California Sierra passes when they open in the next few weeks. I'm not going to put GPS or radar on it, unlike my BMW. It's going to be a more back to basics machine.

Took this less-than-great pic with my iphone. This is the kind of road that is out of the mission statement of my last bike, but is right up the wee's alley .

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I love my wee, too. Having been a wing guy for quite awhile, its different. Both are great machines, but dollar for dollar, pound for pound, the wee wins...

Glad you are likin' it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
GPS

Garmin Zumo 500/550 mounted on the left hand size of the handlebar works great on Wee. The best farkle ever.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yup - Most people under estimate the wee....until they ride it. It's the perfect David in "David and Goliath"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome to the Wee insane.Now just try and I mean try to keep the smile off your face.I think being a recent owner myself this little jewel is one of the best kept secrets in the two wheel sport.I just got back from the Moonshine Run 2132 miles for freindship & a Moonburger.58 mpg with the 17 tooth sprocket.I'm still smiling.See Ya on the road Doc.:hurray:
Bob

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
1. Take a ride up to beautiful Shasta Lake and have Russell make a custom seat for you. (I know, the Mayers are closer, but are they...not their seats...reliable?) Or, for a really great trip, come north inland and south on the coast (or vice versa) to Seattle and have Rich O'Connor make a custom seat, but try to miss his busiest season.

2. Get to know our friend, Blair Layton, svracingparts.com, here on the forum. If you think the suspension is good now, talk to him about cartridge emulators and an Elka shock. :thumbup:...he also has some frame sliders and other highly regarded parts that are either not available elsewhere or not as highly researched elsewhere. Well worth a phone call.

3. How about a skid plate if you're going off road?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
For off-the-shelf seating, it's tough to beat the Sargent World Sport. Over 20,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Congrats....you scored an excellent buy on a gorgeous example of the breed...I was drooling over the pics in the for-sale ad when it went up, love that metallic orange color. Many happy miles to the both of you.

:thumbup:

W

·
0 Posts
Amazing fun. I still can't get over how such a modest displacement engine can be so capable.

Impressed with the great lightweight flickability, the twin is smooth and torquey with a nice low-key growl
The engine will get even better after 5K miles.

Congrats on the new bike. You picked the best color! :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I understand what you are feeling I believe. After coming off all bigger heavy and powerful bikes that were all around 150 HP and loaded. It is nice to just ride and not feel like I was flying an airplane with a Zumo GPS,MP3 players, Radar , volt meters, heated grips and all the rest. Some times less is more. I used to have to swap tires at 4500 and the average cost was over $500.oo plus install. I ride year round and it was over $1500.00 in tires alone , not to mention service visits at $90.00 /hr.The seat is OK for a stock seat . I did 500 miles with 2tops at 2 hours and I was OK. I don't really want to drop $500.00 for a seat right now , as I am not doing any multi-day 500+ miles soon. Later I will get one I suspect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the family! I commute on the slab weekdays, and explore gravel roads and "the roads less traveled on the weekends. The Wee is amazingly capable! Definitely not a single-track dirt bike with my skill level, but you definitely can hit some more obscure and rugged roads with ease! You will be wearing that silly grin a lot!:hurray:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that the Yokhul Valley road to Springville, Doc? Glad you like your new Wee.
No but not far from there. It's Redinger Lake road near Auberry, California.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I understand what you are feeling I believe. After coming off all bigger heavy and powerful bikes that were all around 150 HP and loaded. It is nice to just ride and not feel like I was flying an airplane with a Zumo GPS,MP3 players, Radar , volt meters, heated grips and all the rest. Some times less is more. I used to have to swap tires at 4500 and the average cost was over $500.oo plus install. I ride year round and it was over $1500.00 in tires alone , not to mention service visits at $90.00 /hr.The seat is OK for a stock seat . I did 500 miles with 2tops at 2 hours and I was OK. I don't really want to drop $500.00 for a seat right now , as I am not doing any multi-day 500+ miles soon. Later I will get one I suspect.
Look into the Suzuki Gel seat. It is a world of difference and comparable to the Sargent IMHO...you can get it for about $170.00, it is the seat the bike should ship with. Check it out before you drop major coin on a different seat.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. 500 miles isn't even broken-in by Suzuki standards.

The road in your picture is what I tend to call primitive pavement. Just rough, beat-up stuff. Some of my favorite rides around here are on primitive pavement. On my old FJR I had to stand to ride fast on a road like that. The Stroms really shine at higher speeds on those road.

Enjoy and welcome.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congrats on the new Wee. Enjoy the ride, I do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks to the OP for sharing your impressions. I am also coming off of a BMW (R1100RS) and I've used many of the same words as you to describe my experience with the Wee.

I also like your comment about the Wee not being poor quality, just a more basic machine. I agree - that's exactly the reason I went with the wee but people who have never ridden one just don't get it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nice write-up, thanks for that. Your comment about the seat.....I've had no complaints with the stock seat, while using a bead rider seat cover ( www.beadrider.com ). Without the cover, it's horrible. And I couldn't find an aftermarket / custom seat that didn't get to me after a while. The beads are the only thing that works, and this solultion was 1/10th the price of a "custom" or aftermarket seat. Just my $0.02.

Aside from that, I like how you are looking to set up your DL650. Mine's similar. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
678 Posts
No but not far from there. It's Redinger Lake road near Auberry, California.
Duly noted. I'm on Sierra pass watch myself... the past 2 years I've ridden at least 2 of them on opening weekend. Til then I have to content myself with 299, 36, Mattole Road etc.

Congratulations on your new ride!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts