StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nail today in the rear tire of my new (used) DL650. I guess I have to lift the bike to remove the rear wheel. Any wisdom you would like to impart regarding handling the brake disk and caliper?

Also, the factory Trail Wings have 7,000 mi on them. Should I repair the flat or just replace the tire?

K

·
0 Posts
It helps to have two sets of hands to align spacers, caliper wheel and axle. Spread the pads as far apart as you can get them. I'd get a new set at that mileage, bu others would not, your call.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like a chance to use your new jack :cry: .
How much tread is left? If the tire is well worn, this would be the perfect time to replace it.
Good luck.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
FastEddie

Replacing the tire is your decision after all the opinions are in. I would be concerned with the size of the whole and potential internal damage and it's location. Popping on a new tire at this time of year might be a real bonus, takes care of doing it half way through summer when you want to take a longer ride and the tire looks like it might fail. Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I got a nail in the rear tire at 100 miles. Replaced it and got 9000 out of another Trailwing. It was pretty well spent. The front was good but I replaced it anyway. The Pirellis I have now are likely to last a lot longer.

It's likely good timing. Do some research and get some other tires. From what I can tell most folks did not buy Trailwings as replacements.

Rod
05 Wee
Riverview, FL

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read on another forum that the Trailwings aren't very good in mud. Everybody who has tried it has gone down. A friend recommended Continentals as a replacement. I don't remember the number. I think it had an 8 in it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
IMHO, I would have replaced the Deathwing 7,000mi ago. Oh, wait, I DID replace them immediately after purchasing the bike w/a set of Metzeler Tourance. On 2nd set of Tourances and am very happy w/them (though I reeeeeally wish Metzeler made the Z6 for the Strom). Anywho, a buddy of mine plugs flats and keeps riding including on the track (albeit not on a Strom or a Deathwing tire. :shock: Personally, it's about safety and having the confidence on a non-patched tire for me so flats are replaced ASAP. I don't like the thought of being in nowhereville with a patched tire that is having issues. YMMV. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I'm running a plugged ME880 on the rear (damm thing picked up a nail first week of my season) and I have no issues with it. I trust my mech who said I could do it and know I don't ride at 9/10ths of mine or the bikes ability. I recently replaced the front ME880 due to a terrible headshake/decel wobble if you removed your hands from the bars.

I had an Avon Venom X installed and the difference is huge. FWIW the ME880 felt slippery to me (stepped out on me 3 times) and had the headshake issue. I wasn't a huge fan of the tire and I still managed to get within 1/4" of the edge. The tire had 10,000+ miles on when I replaced it. The new Venom has a shade over 1000 miles now including a cpl hundred in rain and it's performing exactly as it did on my Cruiser. Wish I could get a rear from Avon to match :shock: I fully expect to get 12,000+ miles from the Venom

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I removed the wheel and will take it to the shop. When I put it back on, what do I do to adjust the chain? The chain indicator had 5 clicks on it before I removed the wheel. I could put it back on the same setting but the previous owner said it was time to adjust the chain. I don't have a shop manual yet.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They couldn't repair my tire so I bought a new 020 for the rear. Now I've decided to replace the front also. I bought one of those fork type jacks that lifts from the bottom of the triple clamp. Unfortunately, it does'nt have enough vertical travel to lift the front wheel off the ground. Does anybody know of a brand that works with the DL650 (standard suspension)?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a jack that looks to be well-made. It is a Pit Bull. It is made in the US and you can even have custom-made spindles. It is adjustable so I'm hoping I can get it to lift the front wheel off the ground. It doesn't lift by the fork tubes, it lifts the triple clamps. I'll be trying this out soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts