Strom Trooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Peek-a-boo, yep.

Had Memorial Day week off and haven't done a long(ish) trip yet on my new to me 2014 DL1000.

Picabo is about 700 miles from me and has a famous trout stream near by, Silver Creek. I'm gone.

Trip was uneventful heading up. Camped at a couple different areas alongside the stream. Here's one:

Silver Creek (at the base of the cliff) from that campsite:

Fishing was decent not great but you know what they say about a day of fishing vs. a day of work!

Now for the trip back!

Heading south of Wells, Nevada I got slammed by a big thunderstorm. Strong winds, heavy rain and then hail, ouch! This is rural Nevada and there's not even a tree in sight let alone any place to hide. Heck even the rest areas out there don't have shelters. Got blasted for about half and hour but survived. Sun came out life was good for awhile...

My wife warned me that it was really windy at home so I decided to go through Death Valley rather than riding the wind tunnel AKA Hwy 395 Owens Valley. That turned out not to be a good idea. Got into a major dust storm, slowed me down to 40 mph just to be able to see the road. Me and the bike were getting sand blasted. That lasted about an hour. By the time I got home the windshield was pretty well pitted, looks frosted now. Cleaned the air cleaner the next day and there was a good amount of sand on the dirty side of the airbox.

Bike did great for the most part. I was expecting a gas mileage hit compared to the 650 Strom I used to have and was carrying an extra gallon just in case. I didn't need to use it but my gas gauge was flashing on a few sections. The longest stretch was about 170 miles without a gas station. I did see mid 20s current gas usage more than a few times but that was into strong headwinds at 75ish.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I don't see a campfire for fish grilling. Sushi?
Did you say mid-20's MPG?
A sand storm would not be good. I'm impressed you kept going, did not reverse course.
But I'm a city boy.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see a campfire for fish grilling. Sushi?
Did you say mid-20's MPG?
A sand storm would not be good. I'm impressed you kept going, did not reverse course.
But I'm a city boy.

Catch and release, I'm one of those nut balls that spend lots of money just to let the fish go!

Yea mid 20mpg. I finding that the 1000 is about 10 mpg less consistently vs. the 650. I would see mid 30s on the 650 sometimes.

Not much point in turning around out where I live, the Mojave desert. Not like I can go around it!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
last Thurs came down 395 from Mammoth at about Olancha wind blowing like hell. Seen 2 riders heading North at about a 45 deg.angle. Riding in heavy wind is so much fun..:frown2:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last Thurs came down 395 from Mammoth at about Olancha wind blowing like hell. Seen 2 riders heading North at about a 45 deg.angle. Riding in heavy wind is so much fun..:frown2:

Did you notice the wind warning sign?

First time I saw it the wind was blowing so hard I had to sit on the edge of my seat the bike was so far leaned over. Anyway I'm riding along and see this flashing yellow light along side the road in the distance. Getting closer I see that it's some sort of sign.

Finally close enough to read it:

"Caution high wind when yellow light is flashing."

I had a laugh.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Did you notice the wind warning sign?

First time I saw it the wind was blowing so hard I had to sit on the edge of my seat the bike was so far leaned over. Anyway I'm riding along and see this flashing yellow light along side the road in the distance. Getting closer I see that it's some sort of sign.

Finally close enough to read it:

"Caution high wind when yellow light is flashing."

I had a laugh.
Yeah we seen it! I told my wife gee no shit we both had a laugh..:smile2:

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Catch and release, I'm one of those nut balls that spend lots of money just to let the fish go!

Yea mid 20mpg. I finding that the 1000 is about 10 mpg less consistently vs. the 650. I would see mid 30s on the 650 sometimes.

Not much point in turning around out where I live, the Mojave desert. Not like I can go around it!
I was seeing mid or even low 20's on my Vee2 headed into Idaho in a heavy head wind as well. My overall average was down from the usual 43mpg to about 33mpg. Luckily little towns with gas stations are fairly close together in Idaho (at least along I-84). I was unexpectedly down into the blinking zone quite a few times. Had to adjust my timing for filling back up. One stretch I was even considering running on the shoulder at 50mph just to get back some last minute fuel economy to make it to the next town. In the end though, I don't recall ever putting in much more than 4.25 gallons. Might need to find a way to carry some emergency gas for future trips...

·
Registered
894 Posts
As they say “misery loves company”. I enjoyed your recap of the all too familiar windstorms in the Mojave. It does get treacherous but I’ll take it any day over city traffic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts