StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the PIAA horn? 115db and 500hz, and can be wired direct from your stock horn connection.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Good question! I'll folllow along to see what's posted.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price wise they are about the same as a Stebel, maybe even a few clams more. But its a straight connect the wires to install, no relays required.

Hope somebody has tried one, I suspect they are probably almost as loud, and anything is an improvement over the stocker.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Okay, I was finally able to find this thread. This is a super forum, but, it has quite possibly the worst search feature ever. :( I'm searching for "horn" and I get: 1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : horn
:confused: Duh - let's see, I'm searching for "horn" but "horn" is a 'common, too long or short' word, so it's 'not included' in the search. :mod2_stupid: OOOKAAYYY!!!

Anyway, got the PIAA sports horns installed while the dealer was doing the centerstand & Conti RoadAttack tire install. The PIAA's don't require a compressor or anything, and they are nice and LOUD!! A major improvement over that disgraceful, weenie OEM unit. A pic is at the VSRI site.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The search function requires five letters. A better search method for horn is to go to google.com and search for

horn site:stromtrooper.com

but it's a very common word and would give many hits.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Put the PIAA sports horn on last year. Very loud indeed. Mounted it where the stock horn was. Almost too easy.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
If it's louder it's using more power. If it's using more power your horn button's days are numbered.

The only question is will you wait until you have to replace the entire left switch cluster, or add a relay now?

Imagine if you will if it's loud now without a relay, it'll be LOUDER with one I guarantee it. I'm the relay guy eh :D

Personally though I love the stock horn. Great for meeping 'hi' to friends and neighbours.

Friends, be careful honking a loud horn in anger. Once a guy tried to kill me with his car. You were warned.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
If it's louder it's using more power. If it's using more power your horn button's days are numbered.
The only question is will you wait until you have to replace the entire left switch cluster, or add a relay now?
Doesn't the 'horn' fuse protect the wiring/circuitry/cluster? :confused:

·
38,048 Posts
Doesn't the 'horn' fuse protect the wiring/circuitry/cluster? :confused:
It protects against short circuits and heavy overloads. The little contacts and current carrying spring are easy to overheat and prone to arcing with the additional load over time. The entire assembly has to be replaced if the switch and spring can't be repaired. The switch parts are not available separately. A relay is cheap insurance and provides more power to the horn as well as saving the switch.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
How often do you guys use the horn?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
So would installing this horn with a relay be easier than than the installing the Stebel and give similar results? If so, has anyone done it, or can anyone explain what is needed to do this?

Edited to add: Also, are there other options for a direct replacement that maybe don't blow your socks off but still give a more substantial toot and a beefier tone without drawing a lot more juice?

·
38,048 Posts
Noise is power. Replace the stock horn with a relay. The terminals on the horn are the same size as the relay's. Just separate the little plastic piece that holds the lugs together. The relay lugs are numbered for your pleasure. Then the relay can feed any horn(s) you want. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,3541.0.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
No worries

Imagine if you will if it's loud now without a relay, it'll be LOUDER with one I guarantee it. I'm the relay guy eh :D

Personally though I love the stock horn. Great for meeping 'hi' to friends and neighbours.

Friends, be careful honking a loud horn in anger. Once a guy tried to kill me with his car. You were warned.
They do not use more power 2.7 amps each. You could fit the pair with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts