StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they draw 12 watts for both lights- wonder if they would be adequate for riding with while the H4's are switched off? I can't find a motorcyle review yet.
PIAA

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Their website says the lights are FOG lights. Not really adequate with the H4 bulbs turned off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they have driving light too- same model

it is on the website

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
better link

PIAA main website is hard to navigate:

PIAAlights 530 SERIES LAMP KIT

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
add the http://www and this should work and change the DOT too

piaalightsDOTcom/details.php?productName=LED 530 SERIES LAMP KIT

When I paste the whole the Strom website defaults to a different page for some reason

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how did you get the URL to

list correctly?
Whom is Bltly? Good rescue Bitly

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
It seems so obvious, I wonder why no one thought to do it before -- aim the LEDs back at the reflector instead of out the front. That way the reflector can shape the entire beam, resulting in true fog lights (wide and flat) or true driving lights (narrow but still with a top cutoff so you don't waste light shining it at the treetops). The lack of a cutoff on the top of the beam is the reason I've avoided LED driving or fog lights so far, because it's hard to aim them to provide useful light without blinding oncoming traffic.

There's no info on the site about actual light output, but I suspect two 3W LEDs per light aren't going to produce anything mind-blowing. I'd like to see a set that uses a pair of 5W or 10W LEDs in each housing. But still, way to go PIAA! Now we just have to wait for some of the less expensive manufacturers to imitate and improve on them...

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
PIAA #530 LEDs

I have a pair of these and they work extremely well. I was told 1 watt per lamp draw but I would believe what it says on the website. This is a very good solution for my low power output bike. Stinkin bright too!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmm. I wonder how they compare to Clearwater Krista lights. I'm assuming Clearwater are still better....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these are a lot less then the Krista

though not dimmable or as bright- still cheaper if you get two sets of the PIAA (at $175 a pair vs $600)

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
It seems the big advantage these new PIAAs have over the Clearwater and other LED driving lights is the shaped beam. There's no need to dim them because they don't spill light upward into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

As bright and wonderful as the Clearwater and other superbright LED lights are, they project a perfect cone of light -- the beam might be wide or narrow, but it shines upward just as much as it does to either side. That's good when you're leaned over in a turn (it will illuminate farther through the turn than conventional headlights), but otherwise it can be a real nuisance for oncoming traffic and potentially a danger for the rider, since you're hidden behind a bright blob of glare.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a pair of these and they work extremely well. I was told 1 watt per lamp draw but I would believe what it says on the website. This is a very good solution for my low power output bike. Stinkin bright too!

That looks really great! I want to get them. But when I clicked on the PIA 530 link, it said no such series. That is what you are using, right? Where did you get yours?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
PIAA #530

That looks really great! I want to get them. But when I clicked on the PIA 530 link, it said no such series. That is what you are using, right? Where did you get yours?
Let's just say I know a guy. I tried out some of the first sets off the line in October but they are on the the market and available now. My brother saw mine and just bought a set last week. I believe he got his from AmotoStuff LLC but Twisted Throttle should have them now. Call or email them.
PIAA has a brand new 3 bulb LED that I have seen in person and appears in their 2012 catalog but I'm not sure if it is at dealers yet. It looks very promising also.

I'll try and get a pic up of it later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
PIAA has a brand new 3 bulb LED that I have seen in person and appears in their 2012 catalog but I'm not sure if it is at dealers yet. It looks very promising also.
Is that similar to Clearwater's design? They've been the pinnacle in high-power LEDs for a bit from what I've been able to gather.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Piaa 2" led

Is that similar to Clearwater's design? They've been the pinnacle in high-power LEDs for a bit from what I've been able to gather.

Here is the pic I promised. BTW I saw the #530 LEDs on the shelf at my local BMW dealer today, so they should be out there. Get the 'Driving' model if you're looking to brighten the road way out in front of you. The 'fogs' are more to be seen.

2" dia. PIAA LEDs * not 3" like I mentioned earlier.

Note: the ones I saw have a shiny smooth black bezel and a matte back of the lamp as shown.

As far as the design goes I am no expert and have no idea what the similarities might be. I can say I have been very impressed with how much light is produced with such a low draw.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For comparison's sake, here's the Clearwater Krista lights.
Link: Krista Motorcycle Light Kit

They are also using 3 12w led's for each housing and produce a stupid amount of light :thumbup:
The Clearwater Lights utilize PWM (pulse-width modulation) to achieve a brighten/dimming feature to allow the user to customize how bright it appears.

But the Kristas come in at $650 a pair. Any word on what the costs of the PIAA version is slated for?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Piaa lp530

Ok, according to the new 2012 'Powersports' catalog the PIAA LP530 'Long range Driving LED 2 lamp kit is Part # 73532 and includes pre-wired harness with fuse and switch. I have mine (see photo in previous post) mounted on their 'Sport/Touring bracket' Part # 74600.

I hope you find this helpful.

Cheers, Thor

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would the 530s work with the bracket listed:

Ebay links are against forum rules

Seems like the description does not allow the 530s or 540s. Does anyone have any input on this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts