StromTrooper banner

841 - 855 of 855 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Having done a full lap of the country and another half lap I just wanted a change, I've been riding adventure style bikes since 2009 and I really enjoy riding my other bikes the T500 and SR500. The Bonneville is just an up to date version of these, low seat height, good style and hopefully good economy. When you get to a certain age the number of years left to ride is decreasing so I want to try something different, this is my first British bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I hope that you will let us know how you get on and how it differs from a Strom or the Africa Twin. I'm thinking that such a bike would handle good dirt roads just fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
So far!

I hope that you will let us know how you get on and how it differs from a Strom or the Africa Twin. I'm thinking that such a bike would handle good dirt roads just fine.
I've clocked up just over 500ks so far and all is well. The seat is comfortable and the fuel economy is running at 3.8L/100kms. It is very easy to put on the centre stand.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Having done a full lap of the country and another half lap I just wanted a change, I've been riding adventure style bikes since 2009 and I really enjoy riding my other bikes the T500 and SR500. The Bonneville is just an up to date version of these, low seat height, good style and hopefully good economy. When you get to a certain age the number of years left to ride is decreasing so I want to try something different, this is my first British bike.
Hey fair enough :grin2:

I had a British bike once, Norton Commando.....before that was the European Ossa & Bultaco so the Norton was a let down in a lot of ways, a pity it looked great and went well.... some times.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hey fair enough :grin2:

I had a British bike once, Norton Commando.....before that was the European Ossa & Bultaco so the Norton was a let down in a lot of ways, a pity it looked great and went well.... some times.

Cheers
I too went from Ossa to Bultaco, i was never rich or skilled enough to keep a Commando on the road. Friends had them for a while before reverting to Japanese or German made bikes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Drew,

Does this mean that you'll come down to Victoria for the All British Rally?
Drew and I always go across to Newstead for a look and then ride to Maldon where they block off the main street and all the bikes park all the way up the stret.

Shazz and the other Drew!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am sitting in my lounge room watching a thunderstorm. I arrived home 3 hours ago from a ride to Bethanga near the Hume Weir for the SR500 Club Rally. I rode the Bonneville and was pretty happy with it as a tourer. The tank holds 14.5 litres which gives a range of 200 miles or 360 kms with a bit left in the tank. The economy has stayed steadfastly at 3.8L/100 in all conditions. The headlight is bloody awful nowhere near as good as the Vstrom or AT. The seat is good I did three 1000km days and I could still function. The whole ride was 5936kms so I think it's run in now. It handles dirt roads easily just like mu SR500. Lots of people stopped to talk about the Triumphs they had back in the day.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
That is very nice Steve.

It's hard to stay away Stroms get in the blood.

Did you get rid of your bike with the chair ?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
That is very nice Steve.

It's hard to stay away Stroms get in the blood.

Did you get rid of your bike with the chair ?
I repaired the Honda outfit after the encounter with the fallen tree, and a few months later I sold it.. I think three wheels for me will eventually be a Spyder when I can't hold up two.

The KLE500, the Kawasaki W800, and the DR650 are all now gone, and in their place is the solitary V-Strom 650 XT.

I took the Strom for a short ride last night to check out the headlight (first night run on it) and it isn't bad, although I'm not sure my '09 Wee didn't have better ones. :unsure:
Somewhere along the line I might add a light bar, but I'm not going to traveling at speeds at night where the current headlights aren't sufficient.. getting panniers for it is probably the top item on the farkles list.

But I really am loving the new bike.

841 - 855 of 855 Posts