StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking for advice / suggestions for a phone mount for an iPhone 6 OR an iPhone 8. I am planning on upgrading to the 8 in the near future. Thanks !

·
Registered
572 Posts
I use a RAM X-Mount for my iPhone 6 and have been very happy with it. One of the nice things about it is RAM offers a gazillion ways to mount it to your bike. I did cough up $5 on Amazon for a rubber 'butterfly' as extra insurance. My buddy had an X-Mount and spoke glowingly of it, saying he'd been using it for a couple of years and never had a problem with his phone dislodging. 2 days after I got mine (with the butterfly), his phone fell out of the mount during a ride.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Exactly what he said...including the rubber security addition tho I don't always put it on.

I mount mine high and leave it a bit loose so I can change the tilt from sun glare.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Otterbox might be overkill....how are you charging as you ride and be careful with over heating.
This rolls up and the USB power can come out the bottom

I'd not want the phone enclosed except when it is raining. I think it needs to be easy in out.

( just put the phone in the opposite way so the lightning cable comes out where it clips together. )

I just keep it handy rolled up.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is what I've got for my iPhone 5, but they have them for other models as well.

https://www.rad.eu/nl/c/p/39760-interphone-iphone-5-houder-ronde-sturen-zwart.htm

(Dutch site, but I'm sure you can Google for Interphone iPhone to see if this is available elsewhere as well.)

I'm very impressed with the quality and versatility of RAM mounts, but their versatility means that they're also bulky, and I don't want a lot of large & heavy things on my handlebar. This one is rainproof (not completely waterproof though because of the USB wire at the bottom) and allows you to use the phone while it's in the case due to the captive screen cover.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was a huge RAM X-Grip fan, until my latest phone (Samsung 8) wouldn't mount in it without one of the arms pushing one of the buttons on the side... drove me crazy...

I went through four or five different mounts, until I found something that I consider *better* than the RAM... It's a mount and case combination, and uses dovetail design to mount the case (with the phone) to the mount. Solid as a rock... even more so than the RAM mount (since it's not spring tension of the arms holding it).

It's called Quad-Lock. Rock solid positive lock-in when the phone is mounted. No arms on the side to catch on anything, and the matching cases do not obscure the screen at all. Very well engineered.

Allows you to mount on the handlebar, mirror stem, even your belt, or arm, depending on the mount you buy. Pricey, but worth it...

https://www.quadlockcase.com/?redirect=false&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7nYBRCwARIsAL7O7dE2GtpHDpMORk5Ba1xjU4zVZ3t5HooKdEjkdbm9LjFWhU2g3hfd7-caAr_BEALw_wcB

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was a huge RAM X-Grip fan, until my latest phone (Samsung 8) wouldn't mount in it without one of the arms pushing one of the buttons on the side... drove me crazy...

I went through four or five different mounts, until I found something that I consider *better* than the RAM... It's a mount and case combination, and uses dovetail design to mount the case (with the phone) to the mount. Solid as a rock... even more so than the RAM mount (since it's not spring tension of the arms holding it).

It's called Quad-Lock. Rock solid positive lock-in when the phone is mounted. No arms on the side to catch on anything, and the matching cases do not obscure the screen at all. Very well engineered.

Allows you to mount on the handlebar, mirror stem, even your belt, or arm, depending on the mount you buy. Pricey, but worth it...

https://www.quadlockcase.com/?redirect=false&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7nYBRCwARIsAL7O7dE2GtpHDpMORk5Ba1xjU4zVZ3t5HooKdEjkdbm9LjFWhU2g3hfd7-caAr_BEALw_wcB
I have to agree with the button issue. I have to be aware of that every time I put my phone in the mount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Perfect squeeze from Hondogarage. (Not enough posts to post the link)

This is the move. I am 100% confident, that If I’m in a high speed wreck, my phone will still be clamped to my bars for emergency responders to get my info from. It’s two vices- one clamps to the bars, one to the phone. Can also ram ball mount. Beautifully machined piece of gear. I use it the strom, and also on my MTB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would totally agree. The X-mount looks great and has the flexibility to hold a multitude of devices without any adjustment but there are too many videos on YouTube of phones being lost from it when the rider hits a bump in the road. And the ease of use is negated IMO if you are using the rubber holder that is supplied with it to prevent this. This RAM phone mount has been rock solid for me. Since I only have one phone I've only ever needed to configure it once :nerd:.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use the ram spring loaded finger mount. I can be relatively certain my phone is going nowhere in this thing.

(I have an iphone 6s in an otterbox commuter right now, there is space to spare in the adjustment so it will fit bigger phones too)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts