StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

I am looking at mounting a phone/GPS to the bike this year. (I hated stopping last year to check my route during a ride) I feel my handle bars are crowded enough as is, plus I would find myself looking down too much (I am quite tall). I would like to mount it just above the instrument cluster, right behind the windshield. It looks like this area would be big enough for a phone plus offer some pretty good protection from the elements and even a drop.

If anyone has an idea on how to achieve this or has done it I would be interested in seeing your methods. My Givi windshield is currently off as I was replacing my cluster, so now is a good time to make up a mount.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts
I think that is too far away especially on a Strom. X mount/RAM mount and a tall arm gives you a lot of flexibility.

You can tilt the screen to avoid reflections.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good day all,

I am looking at mounting a phone/GPS to the bike this year. (I hated stopping last year to check my route during a ride) I feel my handle bars are crowded enough as is, plus I would find myself looking down too much (I am quite tall). I would like to mount it just above the instrument cluster, right behind the windshield. It looks like this area would be big enough for a phone plus offer some pretty good protection from the elements and even a drop.

If anyone has an idea on how to achieve this or has done it I would be interested in seeing your methods. My Givi windshield is currently off as I was replacing my cluster, so now is a good time to make up a mount.

Thank you.

FYI...

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/416309-shop-made-gps-shelf.html

Ride & be safe

Reactions: Warhead

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I like that plate/shelf idea. I might have to take some measurements and see if I cannot make something. That idea never crossed my mind. plus there is an USB charger with about 8" of that mounting area.

Do you find the ram mount or ram mount style for that matter work well without the need of the extra rubber webbing?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you! I like that plate/shelf idea. I might have to take some measurements and see if I cannot make something. That idea never crossed my mind. plus there is an USB charger with about 8" of that mounting area.

Do you find the ram mount or ram mount style for that matter work well without the need of the extra rubber webbing?

Out on the flattop it seems fine haven't done a lot of miles with the GPS in place other than to see if it'll hang with through a rough road we have here. That said it past that test fine, I just don't ride my local rides with a GPS it's really for longer trips which I plan on later this spring. My long rides for 18 were pretty well done when I made this mount last year.....

As aforementioned in my notes, watch how much curved room to give over the center section, it took a couple of tries to get enough clearance so it's an easy on-off mount.

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Here's a crazy way to mount a GPS, but it just flat works. I have a 5"/127mm Rand Mc Nally TND530 GPS and a Givi universal Phone/GPS Holder: p/n S954B. it features a quick release mechanism similar to their Tank-Lok system. The mount will attach to the handlebar, but in that position, it's difficult to see over my tallish tank bag. So I thought I'd try mounting it to the left mirror stalk. Good visibility and much more convenient for operating. I tightened the mirror down an extra 1/4+ turn and took off on a shakedown ride. Perfect! No vibration, easily readable at all speeds and the GPS and mirror stay in adjustment-no deviation. I've even done a low speed low side in sandy gravel on that side and incurred no damage. The Holder is of good quality and even comes with a windowed rain pouch, but the holder itself seals out everything but full immersion.
I would also like to recommend using a true GPS rather than a smartphone, as GPS's are more robust electronically and more tolerant of constant sunlight that a smartphone- no hi temp shutdown. My GPS is also brighter than my iPhone. Works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm on a quest for the best phone mount. X-mount really doesn't excite me but holds the phone no questions asked.
I've had a phone extract itself from the X-Mount type holder. Wasn't using the rubber band at the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best fingers mount on planet is the Hondo garage " perfect squeeze"
Can even get an anti vibe mount for thumpers
He is a member or vendor on here
Those look really nice but are too expensive for me. The website showed them for 85$ (assuming USD) which is about 112$ CAN. I can get an mid grade mesh jacket on sale here for that.

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up this mount off of eBay close to two years ago. Came from Germany when it shipped if I remember correctly. Was under $40 US shipped and I have managed to use it for several things. Cheapo half broken phone mount on it atm and my real nice $19 Walmart clearance dash cam that has been worth it's weight in gold more than once in it's short life. Rushed pic. Can provide more details later if needed. 5 kids with matches, lighters and a big box of leftover fireworks to tend to before I no longer have a shop or bikes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts