StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work takes me to Phoenix, AZ this weekend and I decided to make a long weekend out of it. I signed up for a rental on a BMW for the weekend and was wondering if any of you guys know of some good areas I need to ride? It looks like the weather is HOT but no rain so I am excited!

I love curvy roads in the mountains!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you like mountains and curvy roads head to Jerome, AZ. Old ghost that is now a tourist destination. Has several good places to eat. Makes a great day ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you like mountains and curvy roads head to Jerome, AZ. Old ghost that is now a tourist destination. Has several good places to eat. Makes a great day ride.
Go to Jerome by going US60 to Wickenburg, then along US 89/89A to Prescott, and on along to Jerome. There're mountain passes with twisties to die for between Wickenburg and Prescott, and Prescot and Jerome. The Haunted Hamburger restaurant in Jerome has been featured on Food Network and is delicious. And go meet all the Harley guys at the Spirit Room. If you ride out of Jerome to Cottonwood, you can continue 20 more miles to Sedona, then take State Route 179 back to I-17 and it's a 2 hour shot back to Phoenix. It would be a long, but once-in-a-lifetime day trip for someone who's unlucky enough not to live here :green_lol:

Here's a description of the trip that includes some way cool dirt segments. I wouldn't try Schnebly Hill Road on anything but a GS 650/1200.

Scenic drive: Phoenix-Sedona back roads

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Hey Deer Hunter....... Hows it going????

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just read the whole AZCentral.com article and it has a few inaccuracies. Schnebly Hill road is not decently graded, and would not be fun on a road bike. It's also (decently graded) dirt from the top of the hill for 10-15 miles back to I-17 (not paved as the article states). If you take the SR 179 route from Sedona (skipping the Schenbly Hill route), the best views between Sedona and the Village of Oak Creek will be behind you, so plan on stopping at the several scenic pull offs along the route.

PM me if you have any questions. And if I can, I wouldn't mind meeting you in Jerome for lunch at Haunted Hamburger, and a ride back through Sedona.

--Dave

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Yes.................... What he said......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great advise so quickly! I am really looking forward to this. It looks like I am getting a BMW 1200 RS (big street bike) If they have any GS's available I will switch to that. My wife it coming with me so I will be 2 up, she rides but we are only getting one bike.

The ride to Sedona sounds great!

The Haunted Hamburger? Sounds like lunch:thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11 Posts
Evil, I second zt0117's advice. That is a great ride. I will be riding from Bullhead City AZ to Sedona this weekend for a jazz festival. If you like jazz check it out, but it will probibly be crowded there. Have a great ride, weather looks like it should be awsome.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have a pavement only bike, and a *full* day to ride, no problem. The US 60 to Wickenburg, then US 89/89A to Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona, then SR 179 to I-17 and back to Phoenix would be an epic ride. You'll love it! Some of the best riding, scenery, and history the West has to offer.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Been that route many times.. Great ride.... Perhaps 400 miles round trip....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds perfect! We will be picking up the bike tomorrow (Friday) around 5:00 and we have been thinking of just starting out then and spending the night out but haven't really decided. If not we will be heading out first thing Saturday morning and doing that ride to Sedona. From the looks of it we are in for a great ride! Thanks again for all the help. I'll take some picks to show my riding buddies back in Georgia. The scenery around here is so different than the Smokey Mountains it will be a nice change.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Just might see you on the road then. Base Camp and myself will be out and about on some of those roads Saturday.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
When you are out there, Al Jesse from Jesse luggage systems has his factory out there. It might be worth a stop, He used to have a tour offered from there as well. Great guy, and loves to ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up my bike today. It's a dark gray GS with Givi bags and a back rest for my wife. If you guys are out there and see me stop and say hey! If I see any Strom's I'll stop.

I have never spent time on a new GS but I have to say this is a nice bike! It has great power and handles nicely. I'll give a full report after my ride tomorrow. We are leaving out early and heading up before it gets too hot.

I can't wait!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Probably already out, but I totally agree on Prescott. Man, that was a fun road. Hopefully it's still not a million degrees out there in PHX. Have fun.:thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sitting in the Haunted Hamburger about to get a burger.

The roads are great in AZ! The scenry is amazing! We are taking good pics.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah! Thunderstorms are moving into Flagstaff. I'm not sure what's in store for Sedona, but the National Weather Service Radar shows everything east of I-17 at the moment.

Sitting in the Haunted Hamburger about to get a burger.

The roads are great in AZ! The scenry is amazing! We are taking good pics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts