StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's hot out these times of the year but if you leave at 6 AM you can probably make it up South Mountain and back or maybe out to the end of the pavement in Tortilla Flats.

Anyways, I like taking weekend day rides ideally with some twisties. Riding alone just isn't as much fun!

I'm going to one of these places on Saturday if anyone wants to meet up for a ride!

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Yep............:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I know it's hot out these times of the year but if you leave at 6 AM you can probably make it up South Mountain and back or maybe out to the end of the pavement in Tortilla Flats.

Anyways, I like taking weekend day rides ideally with some twisties. Riding alone just isn't as much fun!

I'm going to one of these places on Saturday if anyone wants to meet up for a ride!
Surprisingly, even though I'm in Tennessee I've been to the top of South Mountain where the view is magnificent and to the end of the pavement in Tortilla Flats where the walls are papered with money at the only restaurant in town and the creek runs across the road.

The heat is tough there this time of year but you make up for it all winter while the rest of the USA is frozen. I was there in February once. 20 degrees at home and 70 there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ that's cool that you've made it out here, I'd like to take the rest of the Apache Trail on my Wee and I'm sure someday I will. Those two rides are the best twisties that close rides to the city. Both of those rides are under 100 miles for me so I know them quite well and my Wee has already seen them both in the 12 days I've owned it.

This morning was nice, it was 84 when I left the house at 6:30 and 94 when I came back in. Light traffic the whole and I was able to sneak past the couple of cars that were in my way.

I've almost hit the 500 mile mark and enjoying the bike more with every mile! I'll post some pics in a bit.

As for Flagstaff I'm really looking forward to the ride and I'll send a note. The ride up through Jerome and Oak Creak Canyon is fantastic and I'm really looking forward to that ride. I'm also looking forward to some rides around the rim. Now I've got a machine I can easily cary my wife on I'll be taking some longer trips. I just need to get her a backrest but I'm not sure If I'll be able to get out with her on the back until September.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
^^ that's cool that you've made it out here, I'd like to take the rest of the Apache Trail on my Wee and I'm sure someday I will. Those two rides are the best twisties that close rides to the city. Both of those rides are under 100 miles for me so I know them quite well and my Wee has already seen them both in the 12 days I've owned it.
I've been there several times. I have a friend in Phoenix that I visit from time to time. I flew out there in early 2009 and we rode to the Hearst Castle and then rode around the Phoenix area for a few days. I also rode her DL1000 from Nashville to Phoenix, by way of Colorado and Utah, in late 2009. Beautiful country out there, absolutely gorgeous in places.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking the back way into Prescott through Wickenburg/Yarnell (yes, THAT Yarnell) is also a fantastic, twisty ride. It's a longer ride than some, but for those of us living in the N/W valley it's the closest good ride around.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I've only taken the 10 up to Wickenburg and then drove back to phoenix. I'm on the east side of the valley.

I do a lot of solo rides and wouldn't mind merging up with other people.

I took a trek up towards bartlett lake yesterday, I haven't been up that way since all the construction was finished and had a great ride. I rode up to the end of the road, back down the the lake and back up to the end of the road before heading back. I'll be taking this route some more.

Wholly mosquitos! It was raining bugs, My bike and helmet were completely caked with insects, it was by far the most bugs I've ever driven through in my life! Of course sitting in the parking lot of the lake are two HDs with helmet-less riders. How they ride through things like bugs and rain I'll never know. I need that layer of protection from the environment!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I will just throw out an offer here too that if anyone finds that hey want to ride south, I can show them some very scenic roads in southern AZ. Just south of Tucson as well as east and south are good bets. Not tons of twisty roads but lots of beautiful mountain scenery. Bring a g/f or wife along for the ride and she will thank you for it later! :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
On the weekends I don't have my kids, I'm game for some rides!!
I usually only ride to and from work since the only other two guys I know whom owned bikes, sold them. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the weekends I don't have my kids, I'm game for some rides!!
I usually only ride to and from work since the only other two guys I know whom owned bikes, sold them. :thumbdown:
Nice! I'm always down for rides. No kids here either, my wife and I decided if we didn't have kids we got to keep being the kids and we've stuck with it.

She's from Queen Creek and still has family in that area.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You "Valley of the Sun" riders need to take Heavy-H and jdubyap up on getting together in the Northland. Mer & I do miss our riding buddies.....AWAYS, a lot of fun!

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Heck yeah............ Most weekends are free..............:beatnik:

Hey Ken.............

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had some great rides this weekend. My ride to globe and up the 188 actually got me out of the heat, it was a fantastic day in the seat. The ride back into town at 10:30 was a little hot.

I was going to do the Apache Trail yesterday but there appeared to stormy weather overt here and I rode up to Bartlett lake and enjoyed the twisties over that way. High was 92 once I was out to the good riding.

I'm not sure about next weekend, I'll be looking over some maps soon.

This heat is not going to keep me from taking pleasure rides! I need to break in the new seat I just got before the heat breaks and the riding turns really good.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right on! I don't head up to the north west side too often, I probably need to more!

I did bartlett lake today and was sick yesterday so I didn't make it out. I try to make it home by 10:00 but hopefully september will be gentle to us.. I don't mind 100 highs but much hotter and motion no longer keeps you very cool.

I'm going east past show low next weekend but we're going to be camping with some friends and celebrating a birthday. I'm stoked as I haven't been out that way and I know there's some good rides out there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The riding around show low was sublime. I had a blast, lots of dirt roads, lots of twisties, little traffic and highs of 85. I was camping near Hawley Lake and the forest roads were a blast. The 473 is paved and very fun to ride.

Came down the 60 through salt river canyon and just had a blast!

I'm going to be doing Salt River Canyon again next thursday and probably friday as well. Riding out the 60 through the canyon and turning around and coming back.

This weekend I'm still up in the air but will be shorter rides. I'm thinking bartlet lake because you can run those roads a couple times easily and they are fun.

Sunday might be south mountain or something else, maybe it'll be a little cooler this week!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I must be the only one who doesn't let a little heat get in the way of some great rides.

I looked like rain to the north so I headed west to Tortilla Flats today and enjoyed the twisties with a big smile :thumbup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Am I the only Phoenix rider getting out and about these days?

I did a run up salt river canyon yesterday. It's a fun road and made for a 6 hour day.

I'm going up around bartlett lake today and will probably ride some dirt roads up that way.

I found a phoenix vstrom meet up group but it doesn't look like they've had many rides yet. I'll be trying to stir up action over there.

Yesterday was nice, hit some pockets of 78 degrees skirted storms and had dry pavement the entire ride. Temps were inching up to 98 when I came back across the valley.

All in all it was a great ride. I had the go pro out, but a bug on the lens kinda ruined to run.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts