StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an e-mail saying my renewal of premium membership here failed because my PayPal payment information needs to be updated. I forwarded the e-mail to [email protected] and they verified it was a phishing attempt.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Phishing attempts are rarely so specific. Also, PayPal contributions here are by subscription and renew automatically yearly if there is no member intervention. If your info changed in the past year, it could be a real message if PayPal didn't have enough information.

However, a request to change information should always be suspect. Don't click any links in an email. Go to the site yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I just got an email from "Paypal" saying there had been some suspicious activity in my account and they needed me to update my account info. The email looked identical to a legit PP and the url was pay-pal.com. I called PP to confirm and found out it was a phishing attempt.

Rod

·
Registered
153 Posts
I get a bogus phishing email about once a year claiming to be from Paypal.
It usually makes the claim for needing account verification or updating.

They are more authentic looking than they used to be. I always forward them to Paypal's spoof address, then delete them. About a month later they reply to verify that it was a phishing attempt.

·
Administrator
1,128 Posts
Hello,

If a Payment did not go through the only notification you will get is a short bit about exactly that and maybe a suggestion to check your PayPal account. We will not provide you with a link to change your PAyPal info.

~Kay, community support

1 - 5 of 5 Posts