StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around and I have found the Phantom Batteries from Universal Power Group. There tech is licensed from Shorai with a carbon composite case.

This isn't new news but it looks like a more cost effective way of bringing the Lithium Iron batteries to the masses.

I am getting one for my DL1000 Comped to me in a few days and I will begin a review of it and how it behaves in my bike.

Is there anything you want to know about it that I should look for or at to report back to the Stromtroopers?

Universal Power Group Launches Adventure Power® Phantom Line of Lithium-Iron Phosphate Powersports Batteries | EON: Enhanced Online News

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Boss handed me this box today and said " here give this a try" I thought he was messing with me cuz its so light I thought the box was empty.
I will be getting photos and starting my long term T&E very soon.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what makes this one different from the others of this type?
Sorry so long without an answer on this. I have been a little preoccupied with the crash thing.

The Simple long and short of it is that its a slightly less expensive branding of the Shorai Product. When set next to the Shorai it is identical, the only difference is the logo, The recess for the puffy sticker is the same shape for both.

ShoraiUsa - DL1000 V-Strom

Here is the weight of the battery removed from my DL1000

Here is the weight of a Aftermarket Fill and seal with acid pack.

Here is an aftermarket AGM's weight.

The Phantom weight.

Whats in the Box.

Foam I used to fit snug in my DL1000.

Installed.

Label.

Resting Voltage

Idle Voltage with high beams on.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good post. I have been thinking of going to a lightweight lithium battery. My biggest concern is keeping one on a tender over the winter months when my bike is in hibernation, as I have heard tenders can damage these batteries. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good post. I have been thinking of going to a lightweight lithium battery. My biggest concern is keeping one on a tender over the winter months when my bike is in hibernation, as I have heard tenders can damage these batteries. Any thoughts on this?
...what he said...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry so long without an answer on this. I have been a little preoccupied with the crash thing.

The Simple long and short of it is that its a slightly less expensive branding of the Shorai Product. When set next to the Shorai it is identical, the only difference is the logo, The recess for the puffy sticker is the same shape for both.

ShoraiUsa - DL1000 V-Strom
So far, I've not been able to find this to be cheaper than the Shroai. I'm intrigued and very interested in getting one of these, but $229-299 is pretty steep. Please keep us posted with your findings. Where do you work?

ADV PWR Phantom Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 12V 21Ah eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 6
vs
ShoraiUsa - LFX21A6-BS12

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your links lead to the app21"L"6-bs12 rather than the A.

The left polarity is not the proper application for the DL1000. It is also a less produced and therefore a more expensive retail price.

Our Value Added retail prices for these batteries are

APP21A6-BS12 is $241.95
And
APP21L6-BS12 is $279.95

This would be brick and mortar with free installation and recycling of old battery.

This T&E is a service to my Stromtrooper friends and not an advertisement for my employer. If you would like to discuss purchase, group buy or my employer. PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your links lead to the app21"L"6-bs12 rather than the A.

The left polarity is not the proper application for the DL1000. It is also a less produced and therefore a more expensive retail price.

Our Value Added retail prices for these batteries are

APP21A6-BS12 is $241.95
And
APP21L6-BS12 is $279.95

This would be brick and mortar with free installation and recycling of old battery.

This T&E is a service to my Stromtrooper friends and not an advertisement for my employer. If you would like to discuss purchase, group buy or my employer. PM me.

Cool...sounds awesome. Thanks very much for the info.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the lapse.

As far as maintainers go. You need to make sure your maintainer does not have a reconditioning mode. Most reconditioning chargers pump the voltage up past 16.5 volts and hold it for a bit. We call this a controlled overcharge of a lead acid battery. The idea is to equalize the cells by overcharging so they drop down equal at rest. This is good for lead calcium and lead antimony.

Lithium iron is equalized by computer controlled individual charging of each cell independently. If you note in my photos a small rectangle between the posts on the front of the battery. There is a $80 sum dolla spacific charger that plugs into that port.

If your maintainer does not have a recon or reconditioning algorithm then your fine to place the Phantom or Shorai on it. You can monitor voltage at the battery over a 24 hour period to ascertain if it climbs above 15 volts. If so I would not recommend it for lithium iron.

I personally use the Ctek US800 battery maintainer on my bike and I will try it on this battery in the future and report.

One of the reasons why people buy the lithium iron batteries is the proposed shelf life. This implies that it can sit through the winter and still start your ride without the use of a maintainer. My jury is still out about this.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A special note.

I have information that lithium iron technology batteries have a issue with cold under 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

It seems that the chemical reaction will go dormant when cold and produce less power when first drawn on. What this means for us is that when we go to start the bike at sub 20• temps the first push of the start button will give a weak start. To alleviate this you can do one of 2 things. Press the start for about 1-2 seconds and then wait about 20 seconds for the reaction in the battery to cascade or as I plan to do you can turn your key on, let the fuel pump and lights warm up for about 15-20 seconds to start the reaction and then start as normal.

I have not yet seen a cold enough morning to test this but will report back after I have more data or hands on experience.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Notes on Lithium Ion batteries

This is one area I might actually be able to give some useful input for once.
I work for a company that makes Lithium Ion cells and batteries (not the ones you would use in a motorcycle) and my particular job is the testing of them for quality assurance purposes.

On the question of using a battery maintainer, it shouldn't be necessary over just the winter unless the battery has balancing electronics actually inside the case but it shouldn't hurt anything if you use one. A normal Lithium Ion cell or battery will last a few months with little to no self discharge. The cells we build can make the 5 month flight from Earth to Mars and still have 95% of their capacity ready for the rovers to use upon landing. Different cells, I admit, but the same technology. That's one of the big advantages of this type of cell.
If there are balancing electronics within the case that would put a small drain on the battery and would make a periodic charge necessary. I haven't seen any on the market yet that have built in circuitry though. They all have the external balancing port.

The temperature does affect their performance but 20F shouldn't be much of an issue. Doing as you say, letting the lights and pump run for a short bit will get things going if it's a bit weak. If you were to get them really cold (-40F) they will stop producing power all together. Any reasonable riding temperature and they will still work.

I've been watching to see how they handle the way our electrical systems work. They get a quick hard discharge during starting and then sit on a charge for the rest of the time. I'd like to see a comparison of a new battery capacity to the capacity after a cross country trip where it sits on charge for hours a day for a week or more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts